Great Team Win........Perfect start to the season

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Great Team Win........Perfect start to the season

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:25 am

Very happy with what we got out of our Short Haired Dogs last night. TT came out with a lot of energy and fueled the fire with the early onside kick recovery. Kind of rocked us on our heels to begin the season and game and they came out and took the fight to us. Once we got our bearings about us and locked into the game. We methodically took over. And we did it with great game management from our QBs, well called game from the coaching staff, the lines on both sides of the ball really dominated, and we got some valuable playing time for many young players that will bode well for the future.

Some bullet points

* Will Gay looked great. 9 Rushes for 116 yards. Had great burst and ran hard. Great seeing him healthy again
* O Line put in work. Wore them down. Really started to punish the Tech D Line as the game wore on.
* D line was active and got pressure all night. We have some true quality depth and skill at the D Line. Rotations going all night solid contributions across the board. 5 sacks on the night.
* LB Core looks great. I see why the Wilson kid has moved up the charts. He was everywhere. LBs are a strength
* really liked our secondary. Dev Watson made some great plays. Safeties came down and made plays. Still work to do with all the assignments but really bright future
* receivers looked good in space. Blocked well on the perimeter. RJ dropped a screen pass but outside that the receivers did their job and look to give us a solid core on the outside. Looks like the primary group is RJ, J Hill and D Lindsay with Bryce as well.
* I really liked what we got from the QB position. Both guys looked very solid, both were effective and both throw the ball extremely well. We appear to be in good hands at the helm.
*. Can't say enough about the O Line. I'm really pleased with the big guys up front.
* This is one of the closest knit groups we have had here in a long time. Being around the guys and talking with the players there is so much love and comraderie amongst this group. This is a special group and they are bound together.

Also, real happy with our kick game. David Marvin booted some punts and just missed a 62 yard field goal. Had plenty leg on it. Got to like what we have there. We can flip the field on teams and have the ability to put up 3 when gettin into opponents territory. Big bonus

Thank goodness Michael is ok as that had sent a shock into our team and crowd. I saw so many parents in the stands crying, praying, hoping for anything positive. The players were hit extremely hard as well. Getting that news that he was responsive and joking with the EMT's sent a wave of joy through the crowd. Which was shear terror prior.

I think that Tech is a dangerous and potent offense. And that coach will have them in the right direction. That QB has a bazooka for an arm and he has weapons at his disposal. #8 was gnarly as always and was a load, they have like 3 other receivers and tight ends that are good as well. And the backs were solid.

All in all the game was won in the trenches. We controlled the game with shutting the run game down at the D Line point of attack and making them one dimensional. Then we could pin our ears back and get after the QB which negated their strong passing game. And our O Line punished their D Line so in the 2nd half holes were opening up and we took advantage.

This was a great first game. Good opponent on the road, got hit in the mouth early so we got to see how we could respond. And we come out and get the job done. We're there mistakes and flaws, sure, were they glaring and major cause for concern, absolutely not. We have ourselves a team boys and girls.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Great Team Win........Perfect start to the season

Postby youngterrier on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:52 pm

any idea when inside wofford football will post?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 pm

I would like to know too, especially considering how little of the game we got to watch on the OVC network.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:35 pm

I would like a list of all the players that didnt play last night as well. I know some of our key returnees did not play as well. Another positive sign as to our depth.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016090 ... -in-opener

this is the entire game http://ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Archive=3184

long gap starting in the 3rd qtr and ending at the 42:10 minute is a continuous blank screen - no video or audio
Last edited by Loyalterrier on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:21 pm

Great detailed post 19T. Agree we have a lot to be encouraged about. Sounds like some real synergy and comaradie are taking place. Being on such a team will create a lifetime of memories.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierVision on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Inside Wofford Football is exporting as I type this. Had to get everything cleared for HIPPA and medical related issues. Apologize for the delay. Should have a link to post within the next 30 minutes.
TerrierVision
Junior Terrier

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:23 pm

MA comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-e59tR_APk

Terriervision thank you for your diligence. I was thinking there had to be a good reason for the delay.
Loyalterrier

Postby TerrierVision on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:39 pm

TerrierVision
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Great work terriervision.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Serious hitting by some of the D guys.
Butler is figuring things out.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

The game started with a successful onside kick by TTU. Then on our first play on offense we are called for a very suspicious chop block-as if to say "we know how you option teams like to chop, so we have our eyes on you." After that it settled down and our guys took care of business. Impressed with all the D, especially the DB's. Of course, it helps when the line and LB's are pressuring the QB. Butler really looked pretty good. He let us know quickly that he can do the job well. Goodson will be a great alternate as well. If there ever was a question about Will Gay, well... I hope the coaches are aware that we didn't start moving the ball until we threw a couple of passes to open it up. In order for the option to work we have to keep the defense on our receivers and not cheating up. Ole Miss will be an up tempo offense and big time defense. Great opportunity to learn.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Great job on the terriervision episode. Well done
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:47 am

That was one of the best TerrierVision reports I can recall. Great camera work on and above field and exceptional commentary as usual. The postgame locker room was quite emotional to say the least. MA wears his heart on his sleeves when it comes to these young men.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football