Jacks injured

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Jacks injured

Postby WTFan on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I agree totally about the freshman QB. IF he is a stud and the future of the offense then he should get a shot. Do I think it will happen? Absolutely not.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:49 pm

The situation still hurts, but I agree with the "move on" sentiment. This team can still be successful without question. The biggest thing that needed to happen before the injury was for leaders to step up and identify themselves across the board. That still is the case. Time for the T-Dogs to fight again regardless.

As for the QB situation. If Newman is "the man" and clearly beats out Butler and Goodson, then fine. Start him and stick with him through the freshman lumps. It would be an investment in the future. Were Josh Collier and Mitch Allen perfect the first year they started? No, but they gained experience, were allowed to work through the growing pains and down the line they were exemplary. However, if Newman is not the clear cut starter, then slot him as third string, dress him each week, but with a plan to not play him and redshirt. That way, if he's needed, he's ready to go, but if not, you preserve his year while he practices and prepares to lead in the future. This is also an investment in the future of the team. Either way is fine, just don't play him a few series here and there with no continuity and waste a season of eligibility. Just my thought...
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:21 pm

We have a solid week of practice before starters are selected. Hopefully we will use our time wisely. Optimally, Evan is sharing his considerable understanding of the QB position with other QBs ... sometimes that sort of thing works best between peers. Another thought: Nick Colvin was a very good HS QB and with his three years of college game experience might be able to contribute there.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Butler and Goodson: "next men up..."

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201608 ... ?p=2&tc=pg
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:17 pm

EJ NOT eligible for a 6th year, per Shanesy.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks, YT.
Coach Ayers' comments last week indicated that "it would be up to Evan if he wanted to return...perhaps he may want to transition instead to his next phase in the world???" Interesting...any additional insights?
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Terrier NH Dude wrote:Thanks, YT.
Coach Ayers' comments last week indicated that "it would be up to Evan if he wanted to return...perhaps he may want to transition instead to his next phase in the world???" Interesting...any additional insights?

As a purely undergraduate institution, what do we have to offer to a 6th year student?

OK, I knew a few, but none of them could have maintained athletic eligibility. :)
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Not being negative here, but does anyone have reason to believe WL is not simply going to revert back to the old " hot hand" method of rotating QB's? I just don't get the since that either Goodson or Butler has distinguished themselves enough to the point where the coaches would be willing to name one or the other as THE starter. Plus, Ayers' quotes in the latest article talk a lot about the QB just needing to manage and not win the games for us. Sounds unfortunately familiar.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Plus, Ayers' quotes in the latest article talk a lot about the QB just needing to manage and not win the games for us.
I am so tired of this mentality which may be one of the biggest issues with our offense in the last few years. I know TOs kill us and we try to minimize those. Likewise, I think it's MA's way of saying to Butler and Goodson that we are not relying on JUST them to win games to take pressure off of them.
But in my opinion, this is evidence of playing not to lose rather than to win.
When we start looking at the QB position again as a playmaker's position which drives the rest of our offense, we will have turned the proverbial corner. I don't know any effective option offense where playmaking from the QB position is not critical to its success.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Ruckus wrote: I think it's MA's way of saying to Butler and Goodson that we are not relying on JUST them to win games to take pressure off of them.
But in my opinion, this is evidence of playing not to lose rather than to win.
When we start looking at the QB position again as a playmaker's position which drives the rest of our offense, we will have turned the proverbial corner. I don't know any effective option offense where playmaking from the QB position is not critical to its success.

+1. We certainly need the QB to be able to make a big play, with the experience to know how and when to cut it up and go for it, and who can throw it well if need be. Mitch, Widmyer, and Collier got to that point, not to mention of course the amazing Graves (but who could not throw quite as well and did not need to). Jacks was at that point, with some great decisions and runs last year and poised to exceed that this year.

The two we have now have substantial experience and each has things he can do as well or better than Jacks. Each is capable of big plays in his own way. Each is committed to leading and succeeding, and will only get better and more versatile. And we have a deep stable of talented and experienced backs and receivers, and an extraordinary OL; if the QB's lead and everyone pulls together, we can get it done.

Do you think the team will be told this week which of the two is the clear starter for game one? Certainly too it would be expected that the other would get some PT in due course.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 pm

When interviewed by our local WSPA news and asked about the starting QB, MA said basically that they are still evaluating the situation and that they are both really close (sound familiar). He did say that they would name a starter next week (he did not indicate which day next week however).
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I hope we don't get more "hunt and peck" as an offensive strategy.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm not concerned with who's named our QB. Both can and will get it done. As long as we stay on the attack mode on offense I'm happy. We have as deep and versatile attack across the board We have had in a long time. Backs and receivers. Get the ball to the playmakers and watch us win. Plain and simple. Get out of our own way.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:34 pm

19 I am encouraged by your confidence in the two (perhaps 3) QBs we have. We know we have talent at the receiver position. I just hope that their numbers are called more often and we can get them ball effectively. A friend and I recently looked back at our number of pass attempts from last years games ( game by game). I really hope the numbers change significantly.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Having a healthy Will Gay back, mixed with some dynamic ability from some of the young backs as well (Lennox, Oston, Blake etc.....), our backfield is loaded. With 3 battering rams at FB with Lorenzo, Chase and Andre, we are in a very good spot. And our receivers are stock with talent. We have a deep core of receivers as well. We have to feel good about our skill positions and their potential for us. We should really be able to attack you from all phases. Interior between the tackles, on the perimeter and in the air. Put all of that behind what should be a dynamic OL.......the sky is the limit for the ofense. We will miss the offensive playmaking ability of Ev, that being said, I think Goodson and Butler are very adept at passing. So what we lack, we make pick up on the other side. We have plenty enough playmakers to do damage and be versatile in our attack.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football