Re: Jacks injured

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 am

PER TODD SHANESY!!!!!!!

Evan with a torn ACL Out for the season
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:36 am

Ugh. I feel badly for him and for the team. Need some guys to step in leadership roles and rally the troops after a loss like this.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:41 am

I am just so thankful we did not do him a disservice by going full contact on Saturday. Now THAT would have been a real shame.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:21 am

Hate it for him. Not just for the injury, ending his career, but also for last season's fiasco. Both should/could have been avoided IMHO. Can't begin to express my displeasure about the circumstances surrounding the injury. Since what I want to say would clearly be deemed offensive by some I will refrain from further comment on the subject. Wish him all the best on a speedy recovery and on what I am sure will be a very bright future.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyal-T-dog on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 am

Great kid and football will not define his bright future.
Now it's time for the Wofford faithful to get 100% behind whichever QB takes the helm and stay positive for our Terriers,
What is gone is gone and this team CAN win the SOCON so let's begin a new thread....
Good luck Evan!

Go Terriers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loyal-T-dog
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:40 am

Loyal-T-dog wrote:Great kid and football will not define his bright future.
Now it's time for the Wofford faithful to get 100% behind whichever QB takes the helm and stay positive for our Terriers,
What is gone is gone and this team CAN win the SOCON so let's begin a new thread....
Good luck Evan!

Go Terriers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, Jacks will have no long-term repercussions from this injury. It is a shame he worked through Spring Camp and came back for a 5th year just for this to happen.

I'm sure the Wofford faithful will get behind our new QB, but, we really need for the coaching staff to do the same. Rotating RB's and WR's at will can be effective. Changing out QB's frequently doesn't. Pulling a QB after a single mistake does nothing for his confidence and destroys any team rhythm. I can accept a two-man rotation, it worked well in 2002 and 2003, but each QB needs to have the opportunity to perform.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyal-T-dog on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am

"Rotating RB's and WR's at will can be effective. Changing out QB's frequently doesn't. Pulling a QB after a single mistake does nothing for his confidence and destroys any team rhythm. I can accept a two-man rotation, it worked well in 2002 and 2003, but each QB needs to have the opportunity to perform" - Walliver

Agree totally!
Loyal-T-dog
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 pm

I really hate it for Evan.

I think whenever new players, regardless of position, come into the team the fans think they're the next best thing. Usually, it's just a cognitive bias of some sort, because it happens every year with every fan base in college sports.

But with Evan, I actually do think we've missed an opportunity at quarterback. It's true that he's made mistakes while he's been in there but it's been, quite frankly, years since we gave a QB the benefit of the doubt to make mistakes in game situation and grow out of it. Evan has/had a quickness about him that made him a competitor. He's fun to watch, even if he made mistakes.

If you look at any of the QBs pre-2012, there's always been a steady improvement from season to season. Certainly each QB (Allen, Collier, Widmyer) has taken their fair share of criticism but at the end of the day we were winning, and they got better each season. Since 2012, has that been a thing? we're not winning, we're not consistent and we seem to make stupid decisions. I'm really hard pressed to say it's the player's fault. We're just as talented as we've always been. And this is why it's so frustrating to watch the team because I can't help but think it comes down to coaching. Is it a fundamentals issue? Is it a strategy issue? I'm not sure, but I don't feel like we've had a strategy in a long time.

I know some people are saying that this sort of contact on QBs happens in camp, but I don't remember something like this happening to a quarterback in a while. Maybe it's a freak accident and a coincidence and we're all just overreacting because the team hasn't played at the level we've come to expect in the last couple seasons, and it's just intuitive to blame the coaches. Maybe they've actually lost a little bit of the "it" (it happens to everybody over a certain period of time). All I'm saying is that the only thing that's been consistent in the last few seasons has been, at best, inconsistency and underperformance and that's part of this concern. It's there, like it or not.

I'll admit I haven't posted on here a lot lately, so I don't want to come off as a negative troll, but it really is frustrating to see this sort of stuff happen. In aggregate, we've not been as good as we could have been the last few years and it's frustrating. I used to look forward to football season at Wofford, and not just because I was a kid or a student, but the last 3 years of football have been the most forgettable since I've started watching football, and that's depressing. I'm still going to come to games this year and I'm going to stay optimistic and believe that "we can do it" but the mistakes that put us in the position to panic over something like that (regardless of your opinion of whether or not this injury was preventable) in itself is a pretty bad place for us as a program.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm

+1
I think we missed a huge opportunity with Evan over his career.
I also think this issue is emblematic of a larger overall problem.
I'll be my seats but not expecting much. We have allowed a huge arrow be removed from our offensive quiver.
Hope I am wrong.
To hear that we had quick whistles today makes me want to puke....or punch something.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Big stretch scenario: could EJ receive a medical waiver and play in 2017? Granted, this assumes that he wants to return and compete for the #1 slot. Does not sound likely; yet, suspect some of us are curious.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 pm

YT and Ruckus- Well written and very thoughtful. For several years I have felt EJ was under appreciated and poorly used. I was thrilled when Coach Ayers named him "the man" a few weeks ago. I appreciate his efforts for Wofford and expect for him great success in life. Like you I am completely deflated for a number of reasons. I, too, will be in my seats. I hope the team will rally. We need leadership from the team to do so.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Let this be the death Nell of negative energy. We all see what's happened. We all love EJ. He is more than a football player and will be great in life. Let's move in a positive manner and if you're not ready it's your fault. We are stacked and have talent that is across the board. We will be a contender in the conference and will be a likely entrant into the playoffs. Get off the old ___ish and get with the new. It's time to rally behind the kids that are ready to rock the jersey proud and will lead us to something Special.

#SOCONCHAMPS
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:44 am

+1.

Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity. Lou Holtz

One thing about championship teams is that they're resilient. No matter what is thrown at them, no matter how deep the hole, they find a way to bounce back and overcome adversity. Nick Saban

Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest course. William Shakespeare
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:45 am

19 I agree. Good post.

When all this happened I was as upset as anyone. And all of us bring upset shows that we are not apathetic when it comes to WoCo. Now that's funnel our energy into what can be.

QB-- just my thinking here: if the freshmen is a true stud as we believe he is, and if he has that "it" factor maybe the coaches need to give him a shot at earning starting spot. I know it is late, but maybe that would be another option.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:59 am

I agree pnut. Also, as deep as we are at RB and OL, should we integrate some wildcat, like Baylor did so successfully in their bowl game when they lost their star QB on short notice?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football