Jacks injured

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Jacks injured

Postby Ruckus on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm

IMO they have already failed miserably on that last point and the season hasn't even started.
No need to keep QBs "off limits"; just above the waist and not taken to ground with quick whistles. All of which has happened frequently in the past.....and not just with our QBs.
This injury is simply more evidence of the coaches' indecision of our starting QB spot. No way they let something like this happen to Mitch Allen or Ben Widmyer. Reread Ayers comments in the Saturday morning GoUpstate article where he emphasizes finding players who make good decisions, don't fumble or throw INTs and take sacks. Puts a lot into perspective.
This injury was not freak at all; it happens all the time. Which is why OLs wear knee braces and we have 3-4 knee surgeries every year in the off season. It is part of the game which again is why most smart programs protect their starting QBs and/or playmakers so the risk of this type injury is limited to game competition, not some meaningless preseason scrimmage.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Truth is that this is what the new form of training is all about; try to save the players by having fewer scrimmages and more training. Football is a collision sport, and it is inevitable that there will be injuries. There are plenty of ways to determine if your running backs can hang onto the ball other than nailing them in practice. The sooner coaches understand this the more likely the sport is to survive. To keep putting known players in a position of getting hurt in practice just seems very stupid. You only have a limited amount of assets; why put them at risk?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:28 am

walliver wrote: A few years ago, it was rare to see negative comments about our coaches, and the few that slipped in were promptly criticized. Since then, they have committed the unforgivable sin of not winning.

I disagree with this point. Our overly conservative, predictable play calling on offense, our soft zone coverage on defense that concedes short passes, and our trouble covering kick-offs have been roundly critized here in good years and bad since this board came into existence. There are other examples too.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Oak Grove, I agree. The three areas you mention are the three that have driven my tailgate comrades and me crazy over the last decade it seems. Even in the good years, the soft coverage (the excuse the cheerleaders always gave was we don't have the talent to play any other way), predictable play calling (that's Wofford football or we can't pass block has often been the excuse) and the poor kick off coverage (no idea why/how we haven't managed to figure that one out) have been the bane of our existence. It seems there has been an unwillingness to change things in these areas. With the play calling, it seems every year we hear that we are going to start throwing the ball occasionally and it rarely if ever has happened (since the days of Bersin and Andy Strickland anyway). Our bread and butter triple option has become right dive, left dive more than not. The soft zone pass coverage works occasionally (primarily worked when we had an effective offense that kept the defense off the field) but a good QB generally picks us apart. I will comment no further on kickoff coverage as it is has been almost comical some years to the point where we would have been better off kicking it out of bounds every time. I hate to be a half empty guy because I'm really a half full guy when it comes to most things in life. However, this latest fiasco with Jacks' injury following last year's quarterback carousel (which I thought was ridiculous and embarrassing) has me really questioning our chances this year and the direction of the program in the future. I would love nothing more than to get back to the competitive years when we used to bet on how many plays it would take for us to score (usually the over under was 6-7 and always less than 10) because teams could rarely stop our offense. Just don't see the signs we are making much progress towards getting back there. I'm still a huge fan and will be at all the home games having a great time watching the Terriers but I'd be less than honest to say I'm expecting much success this year. Hope I am 100% wrong and completely surprised. Go Terriers.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Regardless of how poorly handled the EJ situation was/is (and it was), this season will be a verysuccessful season. Even if we stick to all the old guns, same playcalling, same defensive schemes, primarily because we have quality depth, skill, and an abundance of talent across the board. I just wanted/want for our kids to have their shot at Ultimate success as they have worked for it for years and are finally back in postion to get back to a SoCon crown and playoff run.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Agree with 19T. We are where we are ... now what are we going to do about it. I am adding this here, from elsewhere, because it fits this thread.

The glass is half full. Way more than half full.

We have two QB's who have playing time and years of experience in our offense, and talent. Our freshman QB shows as much promise as any we have recruited, ever. Howerton, our fourth choice, is very acclimated to our offense and also has talent. And don't forget, Devin Watson was an exceptional HS quarterback and is an outstanding athlete. At this point, ruling out Evan's return is premature as well, and at worst he will be on the sidelines providing leadership, inspiration, and guidance.

If we have as much talent and depth EVERYWHERE ELSE as we have been saying, and I think we do, we have everything we need to compete at a high level and get back to the dance. Is there enough leadership, experience, and heart in this group? I say yes, resoundingly.

Time to utilize our positives and make it happen!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 pm

19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Kickoff coverage has been bad since the 1990's - the days of the routine "pooch kick". It is apparently not a priority project.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Well it ought to be. One would think it would have been addressed at some point. I guess we'll just continue to hope it just goes out of bounds. Safer that way.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:50 pm

ASking.......I assume that the size of the Wofford Staff, and budget, hasn't typically allowed for a dedicated Special Teams Coordinator but more of a shared responsibility with a position coach that doubles as a special teams coach. That would explain a lot......Im purely specualting but I feel that I am close to target on this. Hard for special teams to shine or be a strength when the emphasis is shared with a coach that is doing multiple other facets as well.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Ding ding! We have a winner.
Purely a budget issue.
Playing 1st or 2nd string guys would help too but I know that is seen as taboo.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Did anyone ever determine exactly what the injury was and how long EJ will be out ?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Post by 19TERRIER19 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:50 pm

ASking.......I assume that the size of the Wofford Staff, and budget, hasn't typically allowed for a dedicated Special Teams Coordinator but more of a shared responsibility with a position coach that doubles as a special teams coach. That would explain a lot......Im purely specualting but I feel that I am close to target on this. Hard for special teams to shine or be a strength when the emphasis is shared with a coach that is doing multiple other facets as well.

I believe the NCAA Limits both FBS and FCS to 11 On-the-Field Coaches. Seems that Wofford has the full complement allowed under that rule...

1) Mike Ayers Head Coach
2) Wade Lang Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
3) Nathan Fuqua Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach
4) Freddie Brown Wide Receivers Coach
5) B.J. Connolly Tight Ends Coach
6) Greg Gasparato Inside Linebackers Coach
7) Brian Mance Cornerbacks Coach
8- Eric Nash Offensive Line Coach
9) Jerome Riase Defensive Line Coach
10) Dane Romero Running Backs Coach
11) Shiel Wood Safeties Coach/Recruiting

Now, 1 of those 11 could certainly, in effect, BE the Special Teams Coordinator, but is just not shown that way on the roster of Coaches. Or the duties could be shared, in which case, I guess the Head Coach is the de facto ST Coord. So, I would think the situation revolves around Staff Organizational structure as opposed to being a budgetary issue.

For comparison purposes, Mercer also has 11 Coaches listed, but 2 (LB Coach/Recruiting Coord & Safeties Coach) are listed as Co-Special Teams Coordinators. Interestingly enough, Clemson only lists 10 Coaches and the Asst Head Coach/TE Coach is listed as the Special Teams Coordinator.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:16 pm

T-Dog 4 wrote:Did anyone ever determine exactly what the injury was and how long EJ will be out ?

Shanesy tweeted Sunday that it was a left knee injury, that more tests would be run Monday and that it couple be a few more days before specifics were known. If that is the case, then something should be known soon, but whether it is reported is another issue.

The whole situation bums me out as a fan, but I really feel the most for Evan. As a redshirt senior, this was his last shot and even if he does get to play, the injury will probably be limiting (either in playing time or capability). Regardless of who has started over the past couple seasons, Evan Jacks has been the guy with the "it" factor that could run our offense at a higher level. Not that the other guys couldn't be successful, but Evan always seemed to have a little more moxey and an extra gear.

I agree that he shouldn't have been in the situation in the first place, but it could have as easily happened at Ole Miss (like EJ Speller's injury at Clemson last year) and the result would have been the same. That doesn't excuse the decision, but it is both true and something that Wofford has experienced many times before. So, at the least, I guess it will be a very costly learning experience and a chance for Butler and/or Goodson to step up (I hope that Newman is still able to redshirt).

No matter what, though, I'm a Terrier and I'll be behind our guys. Hopefully the news will be good. Fingers crossed.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 am

Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football