Jacks injured

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Jacks injured

Postby Oak Grove on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:51 am

While Jacks is rehabbing, he can be thankful that the coaches didn't do him a "disservice" by protecting him from full contact.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 am

I guess the coaches did EB a disservice then because he sure didn't get much contact his last 2 preseason camps.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:40 am

I am as concerned as everyone else about Jacks. But, I must point out that in our offense the QB is also a running back, and he has to be durable because he is going to have to make good decisions, and take hits, often times after his pitches, and on his keeps, and he has to make these decisions in a split second. To have our QB enter the season without ever being touched will not help him before the games start. It is a necessary risk in my opinion. Coaches Ayers and Lang have been doing this a long time. I suspect they weighed the risk against the requirement for preparation and made a judgement call based on their combined 70 plus years of experience in preparing for the season. Jacks injury doesn't sound good, but we haven't got a full report yet. Everyone says leg, but does that mean knee? I haven't heard--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:14 pm

At first I too was like why are we hitting our starter in a scrimmage. But after doing a little research this is common practice procedure for option teams. Tom Osborne and Paul Johnson did the same in their scrimmages. Look at this video as GT prepared for us weeks before opening day. The starting QB was taken to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_j0t3fWrkU
Last edited by WocoSix on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:20 pm

We get what we deserve.
This isn't 1980. The number one priority as publicly declared by our coaches was remaining healthy. Every thing we have done in preseason has been with that priority in mind. Justify it all you want. Crazy.
Nothing wrong with getting him some live reps but taking him to the ground? Really? I have watched us plenty of time doing this.
Why are QBs wearing red jerseys then?
I can keep the questions coming but haven't seen a logical response yet. Keep trying, boys, but it ain't there yet.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with you Ruckus. But at some point Jacks has to get live reps in camp. My thoughts as well. If you have designated the QB with a red jersey that means take precautions to lighten up on him. The difference in the GT video was their QB'S were in regular uniforms. No mix signals to the defense there.
BAD part is we may lose a SR leader on the field. And as for his backups we viable options, but there is a reason Jacks was named starter preseason.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:48 pm

A fifth-year SR QB who has started 17 games and played in 25 during his career has proven plenty of times that he can take a full-speed hit. He does not need to be exposed to more in practice. Period.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:11 pm

....unless of course he really wasn't the starting QB and there was an open competition for the starting role.
Which is not what we have been told but that's the only way I can come close to rationalizing it in my own mind.
But then that just opens up a whole different can of worms, doesn't it?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:12 pm

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.c ... -coaching/

Struggling with TS' view on this one...you CAN influence (and in this case) control your luck.
The analogy of Clemson's Watson not being exposed to hits during practices or scrimmages applies 150% to our starting QB!!
Hope any players who were banged up yesterday are ok/recovering quickly. 2 weeks to TT kickoff...ouch.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Oak Grove wrote:A fifth-year SR QB who has started 17 games and played in 25 during his career has proven plenty of times that he can take a full-speed hit. He does not need to be exposed to more in practice.

Well said OG ... I tend to agree. The first priority is to have Jacks healthy on opening day, and that means no hitting him until then. It is the lesser of two evils, the right response to the dilemma.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:59 pm

The real irksome thing in this case is that EJ had taken many snaps prior to the injury during the scrimmage. Was the coaching staff installing some new system that he had not fully grasped yet? Not bloody likely! Had the coaches not seen enough evidence of his performance earlier, or in the team practices before the scrimmage? What, are they blind? Did his body of work in prior years not satisfy their expectations? From what I understand, EJ had started at QB, and was rotated in and out of the practice. The injury came about halfway through the scrimmage.........what in the name of straight-up did the coaches need to see at that point in time? After the past couple of so-so seasons I fear this team has a fragile psyche, and something like this could bode ill on it..........I hope not!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 am

Ruckus wrote:....unless of course he really wasn't the starting QB and there was an open competition for the starting role.
Which is not what we have been told but that's the only way I can come close to rationalizing it in my own mind.
But then that just opens up a whole different can of worms, doesn't it?

I think you're on the right track. Despite what we've been told, I expected to see the same QB carousel again this season.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierbobII on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:08 am

Any Wofford precedent for starting a FR in such a critical position? (thinking Newman) Down in Dawg country, fans are salivating over the prospect of Jason Eason, the five star recruit, starting this year. Guess the Wingbone, or whatever we're now calling it, is a pretty complicated scheme to start with.
TerrierbobII
Junior Terrier

Postby WTFan on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 am

Totally agree with the sentiments expressed about hitting our "starting QB" preseason. Inexcusable. If there is one thing that EJ has demonstrated time and again is that he can take a hit. He certainly didn't need to prove that preseason. Assuming his injury is as severe as it appears, we are back to the carousel. Just great. Bad luck for sure but could and should have been avoided.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:53 pm

TerrierbobII wrote:Any Wofford precedent for starting a FR in such a critical position? (thinking Newman) Down in Dawg country, fans are salivating over the prospect of Jason Eason, the five star recruit, starting this year. Guess the Wingbone, or whatever we're now calling it, is a pretty complicated scheme to start with.

#1 comes to mind.
Zollman and Rodgers started as true Sophomores.
Since then the pattern has been redshirt year, take a few snaps the next year, maybe play a little the next year.
At this point,I don't know how we pick which QB's start.
Butler and Goodson are both capable players who can get the job done, IF the coaching staff will stop playing musical quarterbacks, and let the QB's make mistakes and overcome those mistakes. I can tolerate a 2-QB routine, it worked well in 2002 and 2003.

I wish EJ hadn't played in the scrimmage, but personally feel it was a freak accident. The last time I remember a QB being completely off-limits in practice was a spring practice when Josh Collier was the only QB on the team.

A few years ago, it was rare to see negative comments about our coaches, and the few that slipped in were promptly criticized. Since then, they have committed the unforgivable sin of not winning. The nagative comments were exacerbated by last years ongoing QB situation which seemed disrespectful for all 3 QB's involved. I don't know if Ayers or Lang is the problem, but they owe it to the team to have their act together this year picking the QB.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football