First Scrimmage

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

First Scrimmage

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:51 pm

Hope some of you local guys can make it to tomorrow's scrimmage and report your observations and opinions on this blog for us "out-of-towners"! All the "street people" around here are still saying the OL is pretty darn gnarly.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Re: First Scrimmage

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:18 am

Any updates?
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Highlights from today. Honest opinion and I pray I'm wrong but the Jacks injury didn't look good. I'm no doctor but I've watched a little football in my time

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/8/ ... mmage.aspx
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:08 pm

RJ banged up too. Smh
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:36 pm

For you guys that watched the scrimmage....what's your take on the action? Better, worse, same, something in-between?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Rhetorical question: how many teams in the entire country go live tackling (or any tackling at all) on their starting QB in preseason? Do you think Clemson is letting anyone within a breath's distance of Deshaun Watson? Who does this?
What am I missing here? Someone please explain this to me because apparently I fail to understand the logic and reasoning behind this.
This is beyond ridiculous. Beyond stupid. Kids work their tails off all spring and summer; we have a great chance at being something above mediocre. Ayers talks all preseason about keeping people healthy and what do we do? Let our senior starting QB who carried us the last 4 games last year (as well as several games earlier) get tackled and injure his knee.
I am literally beyond amazement with this. Speechless.....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 pm

From my point of view it was hard to get a feel of what we have as a team. There were guys who started last year mixed with Frosh from this year. This wasn't a 1's vs 2's scrimmage but more of a let's get a look at the tools we have for the season. There were a couple of people who stood out though. My top 5 notes from the scrimmage....

The Good
5. The 3 Frosh RB's look to be early contributers. Mcpherson could be a problem in the open field for opposing teams. While Chapman and Morgan had some nice runs between the tackles.
4. The DL seems to have plenty depth. At times I heard the DL Coach just make up a rotation of players. Lot of our guys were playing on the other side of LOS.
3.Hard to tell about our Secondary, with our style of offense. But we seem to have a mixture of talent. There is major competition at each position. Jaleel may be the closest to solidifying his position.
2. OL as expected was opening some nice holes and it was good to see some of the Redshirts from last year contributing. As a unit they will gel more as the season progress.
1.The bright spot of the day was Billy Hinton and Tyler Vaughn on Defense though. The light has come on for those 2 and they were making big plays all day.

BAD
5. Plenty of offsides and missed blocks/Tackles to clean up before game 1.
4. Talent pool at WR has increased. Problem is they spent more time blocking than receiving. There were a quite a few loafing on the some plays but I'm sure it will be corrected in practice
3 No passing game. When WR'S were open, the balls were bounced to them. QB play in the passing game needs improvement. Hopefully our run game is potent enough that teams have to stack the box. Then the play action/ screen game will open us up.
2.OL pass blocking was suspect. Could be the reason the passing game was off today. Constant pressure and WR not getting open when they did have time
1.To not only identify our QB'S with red jerseys, but to let our Defense T-off on our starter. Jacks as well as the other QB's took some Big hits today! We even had multiple flagrant penalties for late hits on our own starting QB out of bounds and after dead plays
Last edited by WocoSix on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:18 pm

What world I am living in?
Thanks, WoCosix.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Makes you want to question Wofford commitment to football these days. 19t19 I feel your pain. We have some real viable options at WR and that unit looks to be probably the best unit we've had in a few decades. Part of me says scrap the option offense, but I don't know if our staff has the knowledge to incorporate in our playbook. And as for Jacks I can see him doing a series or 2, but he probably was in for at least 25 plays or more. Prayerfully it's a strain, but from his screams it did not look promising.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Jacks as well as the other QB's took some Big hits today! We even had multiple flagrant penalties for late hits on our own starting QB out of bounds and after dead plays

Probably out of line, as an 'outsider' to ask this, but as a former OLman and Coach, I just HAVE TO ask. What was the reaction by the other Offensive Players to these late hits, particularly that of the O-Linemen?

BTW - I am a BIG FAN of Evan Jacks - Coached against him when he was in HS and have admired what I have seen him (when allowed to) do at Wofford. Great competitor and a heckuva an athlete. Not too happy with his excellent play at Mercer last year (dangit), but as my own Bear broke his foot early in the 2nd Quarter, I had other things on my mind. Injuries suck! Serious injuries really suck!! Serious injuries in what may be the final year of eligibility (as it was with my Bear last year) REALLY, REALLY SUCK!!! I sincerely hope the injury to Mr. Jacks is not as serious as these early reports would seem to indicate. I hope he's doing his thing at 100% on 10/29 vs. Mercer and 11/5 @ Furman.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Return to Football