New Buildings

General Discussion

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

New Buildings

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 pm

I recently started checking out the new building projects - the Art building, Greek village and the JRIS. Looks like from the Live Stream the Greek village has seen little change but the picture is small and so we are likely not seeing all of the construction. On the other hand I have seen noticeable change almost every day for the Art building. I have noticed some change in the JRIS but not nearly as much as the Art building. Overall it all looks impressive and every time I start to look at the pictures I feel excited and have yet to be disappointed in what I have seen
Loyalterrier

Re: New Buildings

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:00 pm

I saw on FB or Twitter where the construction crew or somebody put a basketball goal in the exact spot where one of the goals will be in the JRIS. interesting and exciting at the same time. The Art building is beginning to take shape now
Loyalterrier

Postby Loyalterrier on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 pm

I don't know where else to put this. not a bad video. cant wait for it to open. http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... -tour.aspx
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

We drove down to Spartanburg recently to see the (free) Winston Churchill, and Blue Ridge Mountains, art exhibit at the Sallenger Richardson Center. If you have not seen it, it is worth a visit. We first spent a couple hours walking through downtown and quaffing a brew and cider here and there. Downtown is looking pretty good, with some recent impressive new construction, while some of the icons like Price's Men's Store are still going strong.

We also spent some time on the campus. First, the Sallenger Richardson Arts Center is beautifully designed and constructed, and far surpasses anything we have had in the arts/music area; exhibition rooms, auditoria, class rooms, the whole nine yards. Much larger and more imposing than we expected.

We checked out the Richardson Basketball/Volleyball arena, which is essentially finished; they are putting in the grass and exterior touches, and will have full occupancy in 3-4 weeks. While we could not go in since it is a work site, I must say it surpassed what we expected. It is very large and imposing while being understated and with classical lines.

We examined the nearby new fraternity complex, which is near the tennis courts and not far from Gibbs Stadium. It is impressively designed and constructed, and has a courtyard and main stage area all can share.

The nearby tennis complex, with eleven courts I believe, is mind-blowing; very nicely designed and functional.

The student housing, much with nearby classrooms and areas like "the entrepreneurial center", is incredible, especially to one who remembers Snyder and Carlisle dorms. What struck us is that he entire campus has a new, but not gaudy, feel. Very tastefully done. Obviously a lot of careful thought went into it.

And all on grounds that constitute a designated arboretum. Wofford has never looked better ... few colleges have. Judging from what we hear about the student body, it is keeping pace ... stronger and more talented than ever. We owe a great deal to generous alumni and other supporters, and especially Mr. Jerry Richardson; he has meant so much to the Carolinas as well.

In the cafeteria we got a look at and spent a little time around some of the athletes, including football, volleyball, women's basketball, and lacrosse players. The size of several of the gridiron warriors was hard to fathom. Many of the lacrosse ladies were decked out in ice packs from doing battle.i
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 pm

ld
Nice report. Thanks for the post. Too bad you could not go in JRIS. But it will be open soon. Back when I was there we had four tennis courts and nothing else to go with them unlike what there is now.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

JRIS is getting closer to being complete. Also posted this in Men's Basketball. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2017/ ... pdate.aspx
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Loved your post LD. This weekend before the game we will take the tour of the Arts Building and would love to get inside the JRIS. Don't know if that can happen, but it would be nice. Who would have ever thought this could all happen in our lifetimes?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations