GA Southern on Probation

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: GA Southern on Probation

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:44 am

But the question is all relative: do schools cut corners/make exceptions for its athletes? If so, how much?
As proud as I am of Wofford, I have to admit that yes, even Wofford makes exceptions for athletes in admissions. While our athletes by in large fit in the academic and character profiles of the student body as whole, there are exceptions made. We admit some kids who are outstanding athletes who are below the mean.
Does that rise to a level of misconduct like UNC or GSU? Certainly not. Are these exceptions as great as made by some schools? Certainly not.
But from a strictly moral/ideological perspective, we DO alter our admission standards for athletes. Although much much less than some schools.
Of course, we have no athletic tutoring/learning centers or other resources like that. Out athletes are treated the same as all other students (maybe even more strict as some professors don't like athletes or want to avoid the appearance of favoritism). And we have no crip courses or majors. Tto a large extent we do a disservice to ourselves and to the kids if we bring them in and they can't/don't graduate. Our high APR is evidence of this fact.
It is a balancing act that we do a pretty good job of.
IMO - academic integrity is the holy grail of a college's reputation. Once that goes, Katie bar the door.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:47 am

I totally agree with the part about some professors not liking athletics. A certain professor I had hated sports and scoffed at athletes (and cheerleaders) missing a bit of class time for games. He planned a class field trip to Greenwood one day and was visually ticked off that he had to kind of rush the trip in order to get back to campus in time for a home basketball game for a couple of class members. He regularly made condescending remarks regarding athletes and sports at the school.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 am

This week's Sports Illustrated features "Sign of the Apocalypse:

"A GS Athletic department staffer did 10 extra credit assignments for 2 football players- still did not pass the class." :roll:
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Now, that's funny. Somehow it seems just like Ga Southern...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Terrier NH Dude wrote:This week's Sports Illustrated features "Sign of the Apocalypse:

"A GS Athletic department staffer did 10 extra credit assignments for 2 football players- still did not pass the class." :roll:

They probably hadn't done any work at all in that class during the semester. And it's not like they were likely to be drafted into the NFL and sign for millions of dollars. What do these people do when they can't play college football anymore and also haven't graduated college? Sell drugs or something because they can't find a job?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football