Projected Starting Lineups

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Projected Starting Lineups

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:53 pm

For fun until we get some solid info in August. Let's mock up our starting Lineups and 2 deep if we can and discuss our lineups. Ill post mine in a few.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Projected Starting Lineups

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Corner Backs (Very talented group, good mixture of veterans and youth and some dynamic skill sets.

CB- Chris Armfield SR. #2
Backup- George Gbesee R.FR #15

CB- Dev Watson SO. #24
Backup- Domo Lemon #27

Safeties (Eerily similar makeup to the corners. Mix of veteran leaders and youth movement with some major skills.

S- SR. Jaleel Green #11
Backup- SO. Malike Rivera #31

S- JR. Nick Ward #6
Backup- JoJo Tillery #28

I also think that FR. Mason Alstatt #13 will be an impact as he adjusts to the college game. Add in JR. Cole Higbie #17 in the mix as well, could start but will add depth regardless.

Obviously these can be backwards as people compete for positions. But I am good with these as a starting point for discussion. Next up is the Linebackers and D lines.
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 pm

LINEBACKERS (I think this group could be one of the absolute strong points of the team. Lots of talent and experience throughout the 2 deep before even getting to the new guys coming in.

LB- JR. Michael Roach #43
Backup- SO. Tyrek Lyles #4

LB- JR. John Patterson #46
Backup- JR. Dylan Young #45

LB- SR. Lincoln Stewart #8
Backup- JR. Colton Clemmons #21

LB- JR. Terrance Morris #9
Backup- SR. Darryl Vining #44

These LB's have the opportunity to make a major impact on this season. They have all the tools to be one of the best in the SoCon if not the country. Experience, talent, sklill and depth. The whole package.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:37 pm

I'll play.
I agree on corners except the inexperience and lack of game experience of Watson and Lemon concern me. And if Armfield goes down (God forbid), we have all starting F corners. Not good. Of course these guys are some of the best athletes we have on the team. They will get a good baptism by fire in Oxford. Intrigued by incoming F Paschal and Redwood.
As for S, I would put Cole Higbie in the mix if he is healthy again. I am anxious to see what impact Alstatt makes. If Higbie is out, look for Alstatt to push for PT in 2 deep. We definitely need him returning kicks and special teams.
Not sure about the LB lineup, T19. Young is an OLB so he will be competing for time with Roach, Morris, Vining and Lyles. Lyles had a great Spring and Morris is coming off the knee injury. So who knows how all this shakes out. Love Roach: big, rangy, athletic and relentless. Throw in RSF Hinton and F Jireh Wilson and OLB is the deepest and most talented position we have.
ILB is a little more settled: Patterson and Stewart will start with Clemons backing. Add in RSF Rountree and F Datavious Wilson and we have a great group of playmakers. Hope Patterson gets back fully from off season shoulder surgery. F Brandon Brown is very talented and will help quickly.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:44 pm

D LINE (Tough group with some folks that have been through the fire. Some studs in the group as well)

DL- SO. Miles BRown #90
DL- SR. Boston Bryant #52
DL- JR. Tyler Vaughn #92
DL- JR. Steven Cornellier #95
DL- SR. Chris Boudreaux #93

Look for incoming FR. Mikel Horton #97 to make an impact early if he makes the adjustment to the college game quickly. Big kid with a great motor and feet. Could be a game changer at the DL spot early.

Lots of contributors also with JR. Brandon Curtis #96
and #99 Brandon Zamary
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Interested in seeing the progress of RFS Thad Mangum who is a big kid with nice feet. Love Boss Bryant, Vaughn and Cornellier. Boudreaux is a warrior. Miles Brown is a legitimate POTY and all-American candidate.
Horton will need to adjust and likely lose a few lbs. he is probably the biggest DL we have ever had.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Good topic 19

CB - agree on your picks. But where does Jamario Williams fit in ? He could maybe make it in the 2 deep but it will not be easy. Could he edge out Gbesee since he has been on the team longer ? The entire CB group is loaded with talent and I am including the incoming Fr guys too.

S - agree on your picks assuming that Higbie is still beat up. But if Higbie and Rivera are both equally healthy then Higbie will
be the man. Although Rivera is good. Just that Higbie is better. And Alstatt could have something to contribute as
well.

LB - very very talented. agree on your picks. However IMHO there are too many others of the LB group that are capable of jumping in the 2 deep for a game or two. IMHO Rountree is the front runner. Also I am very curious about Campbell Jackson. good size. don't know anything else about him though. If he has the right attitude and decent speed then... Of course I am not ruling the others out. J. Wilson, D. Wilson, B. Brown, B. Hinton

DL - another very good group. picks are good. add Mangum and Zamary. Alvarez and Armstrong need some more meat on their bones.
Loyalterrier

Postby WocoSix on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 pm

I'll play too.

CB
Armfield is obvious at one corner with multiple years experience. Lemon actually started @ CB vs Furman and saw reps during the season. Watson saw action at Safety so the 2 of them have in game experience. Williams looks to be the bigger CB and should be in the mix. Barring injuries I would assume the FROSH redshirt w/ exclusion of may be 1. I would say
Armfield - Backup by- Watson -Gbesee
Lemon - Backup by- Williams - Freshman

LB
This has to be the hardest to predict because we are absolutely loaded! Great talent and Depth across the board. With Morris back it injects all conference talent in the rotation. And Datavius I think will be impact from day 1. I would say
Morris -Lyles
Patterson - D.Wilson
Stewart -Rountree
Roach - Vining

S
Green - Rivera
Ward/Tillery is going to be a battle this fall. Both played well and after Wards injury Tillery solidified himself as a contender. Dont know if Freshman will get a chance ...like the LB's safety position is loaded. Would love to see this class redshirt.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Me too.

I love our defense; deep, experienced, talented, competitive. Look for DB's to show significant improvement; I too am intrigued with the possibilities for Jamario Williams. But leaders must step forward across the board.

In the offensive backfield:

QB ... Jacks will start and will have a good year. Goodson and Butler will push him, but hopefully Jacks plays well enough to indisputably claim the job. In our offense, of course, we will sub at QB on occasion, and we are fortunate to have so much depth and experience. Hopefully Newman will be able to RS (think he'll be a dandy when it's his turn).

FB ... Long will start, Nelson will play a lot, and Stoddard may come on strong. We will sometimes see Long and Nelson play at the same time, since Long is so versatile.

HB ...Gay and Colvin (experienced and proven)
... Windham/McAfee and Martin (McAfee really showed breakaway flashes last year)
... Pace may see some PT, if he gets his "football legs"
In our offense, we often alternate five or six backs. One or two of our talented Freshman backs may find the field some too. There is enough firepower here for us to have an excellent offense, depending in part whether our OL is as good and deep as it appears to be.

I hope all the backs will focus on serious blocking as well; when we are rolling, defenses really have to watch out for our aggression on the edge. We are deep enough that no back should hold anything back.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Good post ld. No way I can say it any better. So I will comment on the OL. IMHO the OL is one of the most important parts of the O and could be the most important. Maybe it depends on how you look at it. Anyway a football game is usually won at the LOS and of course the OL for the most part controls it from the O side. Unless I am missing something, we are returning the OL intact and not just the starting guys but the 2nd stringers too. Plus Mike Jones is supposed to be back as well. I know Chamberlin is gone but unfortunately he played little last year. Ok basically the 2 deep will probably look a lot like the 2 deep from last year with Jones inserted somewhere and Youngblood gone. I am assuming that Taylor and Basinger play T but if that is not right then I am at a loss on that one.

LT
M. Jones
R. Demmel
LG
D. Miller
J. Lott
C
R. Daniels
B. Way
RG
J. Jacon-Duffy
C. Rouse
RT
A. Wahrby
N. Taylor/J. Basinger
Loyalterrier

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:22 pm

WR
easy to pick the starter but the rest is anybody's guess. Motes has more experience and I can't find anything about his speed. Cleary and Helligar are fast but with less experience. Who will win that battle I don't know. Hennings is interesting as a WR. He is the tallest and heaviest of the group.

R.J. Taylor hoping he will have a big year and he has a good chance of doing so.
B. Motes or
A. Helligar or
C. Clearyof
Loyalterrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:28 pm

I'll be honest. I did this topic for a reason and it did exactly what I figured. Boys and girls, go back up and look at our rosters........I am very excited at the possibilities. We have all the tools. Experience, depth, skill, some exciting youth and talent. read through this thread and you will realize that we have some real dangerous potential this season.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Can't Wait!!
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:39 pm

WR Taylor and Motes have the most experience, and both are talented.
Cleary and Hill are also talented and have strong resumes, and Hemmings shows some promise as well. Helligar may be the dark horse.
This competition should be a focus early. Not only catching the ball, but blocking and consistency may be determinative.

TE Both Gouger and Novotny have talent and some experience; Karas has good size, hands, and resume and has a chance to start as well.

Our receiving game should be in excellent shape. Who can get it done? Can we scheme and time appropriately to make them effective?

Though some freshmen show real promise at these positions, it is likely they will redshirted.

Before leaving the OL, must say that Wahrby could have a very special year. He has started from day one and been all conference both years after that. He has that focus and calm demeanor that typify many successful OL's; gotta believe the NFL will take a hard look.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Should point out that a lot is also expected of Dequan Miller at OL. He has started 22 straight, and many of his best games have been against the toughest opponents, e.g., Chatt and Cid last year. He does not appear to be particularly vocal, but if he can step it up every game he can make a huge difference. Our OL could be really special.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football