Briles out at Baylor

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Briles out at Baylor

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm

President Ken Starr and AD will be reassigned as well.
Independent review of Baylor's handling of sexual assaults revealed multiple issues, especially within football program.
Report cited "culture" of football program.
Although not out of realm of possibility, I am a little surprised.
Better be a wake up call to all major programs.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Briles out at Baylor

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 pm

While I am not suggesting that sexual assault and academic fraud are on the same level in any way, I think Baylor's decisive action will serve them far better in the long run than the continued institutional coverup in the name of saving appearances that we've seen up in Chapel Hill over the past five years.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat May 28, 2016 7:58 am

Perhaps I repeat what I have said previously, BUT- IMO the problem at UNC rests at least equally with the faculty as with the athletics. The faculty knew full well that the AFAM studies program is/was a sham, and the head of the department was a farce. Yet, in their politically correctness they chose to let it go. EVERY school knows where the sham academics are located and who is teaching them. Sadly, if you let the programs who wish to skirt around actual academics do so, they will find a way. In this world of shameful political correctness at colleges and universities there doesn't appear to be many with the backbone to stand up to what is truly wrong, and if they do they probably will pay a price. It is probably inevitable that Wofford will slip in that direction, and may be doing so already.
However, this post was about Baylor and its particular problem. Evidently the real issue was that it went on so long and that those in power had plenty of chances to address and correct it and didn't. This was hardly quick and decisive action taken by the Board at Baylor.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Of course it took a while at Baylor. Too much money being brought in to pull a quick trigger.
Freeze is next at Ole Miss.
UNC is a freaking joke but anyone who calls that for what it is will labeled at a minimum a racist, fascist, and reactionary.
Don't get me started.....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Agreed that Baylor didn't move decisively on the problem until the story went public in a big way. My comparison to UNC is more that they have tried to stall and ignore publicly rather than cut and run when the heat gets turned up. Perhaps the fact that Briles has status, but not Dean Smith/Roy Williams level status is the key. Carolina is fighting tooth and nail to keep Dean Smith's name out of this even though it clearly extends back that far at least in small measure compared to what it became. Freeze could be next, but I think he might survive with his reputation in tatters. We'll see.

As far as Wofford going down a similar road, I suppose there is always the possibility, but I think the true corrupting factor is money and Baylor clearly plays at a higher level monetarily that we do. I am not naive enough to thing nothing has ever happened at Wofford or anywhere for that matter, but I don't see anything systemic developing like it has at Baylor or Carolina.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat May 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Holding a coach responsible for a limp academic course is not justified in my view. There are others in the athletic department, including most clearly the AD, who are squarely responsible to see that classes are for real. At UNC the AD retired out the back door, and the admin (shamelessly) tried to hang the blame on underlings, though the football coach and some assistants "moved on".
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun May 29, 2016 7:38 am

A limp course here and there is not the issue. This was a major developed and promulgated to keep athletes eligible.At UNC, they are all complicit with the fraud: coaches, AD, faculty. Been going on for years.
But in their defense, it's the same at every large university. The vast majority of power conference athletes do not come close to matching the academic profiles of regular students. Many do not graduate and those that do have a degree in some major solely created to keep them eligible. It's a farce. At CU it's parks rec tourism. USC: interdisciplinary studies.
When are we going to quit with the charade that major college athletics is nothing but professional sports in disguise?
IMO - either legitimize it or pay them. One or the other. Instead of this farce that the NCAAA tries push off as amateurism.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun May 29, 2016 11:07 am

I have suggested this to a few friends who are on the Board of several Colleges and Universities: Meeting with the Athletic Director 1) ask for a roster of the revenue sports teams 2) go through that roster and randomly pick about a third of the players and 3) ask for a list of the courses they have taken since enrolling. Then they can get a feeling for whether there is a pattern to something fishy. If there is need to delve further then do it. This whole process would take very little time and it should be done in a way as to prevent anyone from tinkering with the data. If a Trustee is worth anything this is the least they can do to assure that it is not occurring at their school.

Pardon the editorializing, but in this world turned upside down the Universities (and here I don't believe I am talking about Wofford) have become a boondoggle for those in power. There are more perks and benefits and absolute graft and corruption among those involved than one could have ever imagined years ago. It was just announced that each ACC team will receive $23 million from league revenues this year. This is in addition to the mega millions raised in various schemes for seats, buildings and access. Then we hear that the ACC is third among leagues in revenue! For many in the faculty the travel, research, consulting, etc. is amazing, and they retire with an incredible pension. Meanwhile, the cost of an education continues to rise. For many in the administration it is "funny money," and cannot be taken seriously. Is it any wonder that at most (if not all) of these power schools there is a "don't ask don't tell" and "just keep a lid on it" attitude?

I know that other schools hate our Wofford attitude os "we do it the right way." but I personally hope we never change and never have to bow to the power of the dollar.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 29, 2016 7:57 pm

No wonder Baylor was able to run up the score on all those teams (including us)...they were cheating! But face it, it is likely that nearly all the Power 5 conference schools do it. It has been going on forever. Even way back when Clemson won its title in 1981 they faced NCAA sactions and were placed on probation a couple of years after that. People will do anything to try to avoid losing when losing will mean their job and the end of some gigantic paychecks. I'll admit that If I were in that situation I might not be above corruption myself.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:35 am

Rather than start a new thread, thought I would stick this here, by way of comparison. https://johnclaytononline.wordpress.com ... -of-socon/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for posting.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes, thanks from me as well--Coach Ayers has made a huge impact on everyone that has played for him, or been around him, or just observed him from afar--We have been fortunate to have had him for this long-- A contemporary of his, Steve Spurrier, gave it up last year, but Coach shows no sign of slowing down, or losing his drive to excel, or losing his connection with the the young millennials of the day--Coach K, and he , are truly exceptional in that regard--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Story in our local "fish wrap" is saying that some BIG money donors are irate at the Baylor board of regents for dumping Briles, and that the money spigot could be turned off if he is not given the opportunity to come back to Baylor after one year. Win at all costs........you better believe it! This is MONEY talking, and big time college sports is listening!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football