2016 season

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2016 season

Postby njterrier on Fri May 27, 2016 11:08 am

boulder - See the inning analysis below.

94 - Thank god our athletic department is not run by you and that you don't have a "vote." (And since you can attack TI over your complete lack of baseball understanding, I guess it's ok to question your education/employment/competence when you can't use "whether/weather" properly.) But let's work through your rant. Everyone on the football/bball board continually discuss how preseason rankings are ridiculous. But now TI is handcuffed to meeting preseason projections? This team lost - relatively - it's entire lineup. It lost arguably it's top arm to the draft (Leftwich) and really had a preseason ranking because of Millburn and Stillman. If anything, I think they outperformed what any knowledgeable person would expect. They also just had their best recruiting class in school history. They have had back to back 30 win seasons, their best recruiting class, and it's time for TI to leave?

And since you suggest a LL manager could have handled the situation - when do you pull him and who do you put in?

Up to that point, Stillman gave up 10 ERs ALL YEAR and had a K/9 of 15+. During the game, he was 94-97 with a hammer (when he threw it successfully). The other top two arms out of the pen: Elliot Lance (73 H in 70 IP; k/9 = 5) Acceta (50 H in 37 IP; 5.9 ERA; 8.7 k/9) and I'd assume these would be next two options because you also have to play 3 or 4 more games in the next 3 or 4 days so you also have to balance that (so you're not bringing in Adam Scott, JCB because you're not putting a starter in a relief role).

9th Inning:

Brown struck out swinging, reached first on a wild pitch. 9 6
DOES TI TAKE HIM OUT NOW? HE JUST STRUCK A DUDE OUT AND ARGUABLY NATHANSON HANDLES THIS 9 OUT OF 10X.
Pope flied out to cf.
SO STILLMAN SHOULD HAVE 2 OUTS AND A 3 RUN LEAD. DOES TI TAKE HIM OUT NOW IF SO NEXT HITTER (BOWMAN) HAS A HIT OFF OF LANCE AND A HOME RUN OFF ACCETA IN REGULAR SEASON?
Bowman doubled to right center, RBI; Brown scored. 9 7
DOES TI TAKE HIM OUT NOW? ONE OF THE BEST PITCHER'S IN WOFFORD HISTORY AFTER 1 HIT WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE 2 OUTS
Mt. Smith doubled to left center, RBI; Bowman scored. 9 8
THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING. NOW YOU HAVE A 1 RUN LEAD WITH 1 OUT AND A RUNNER ON 2B. ARGUABLY THE CALL IS TO PITCH AROUND THE NEXT BATTER (BERMUDEZ) TO SET UP A DP BALL. BUT DO YOU TAKE OUT YOUR TOP ARM BECAUSE HE GAVE UP 2 HITS (AND SHOULD HAVE 2 OUTS IN THE INNING)???
Bermudez walked. 9 8
ALTHOUGH WATCHING THE GAME, I DON'T THINK STILLMAN "PITCHED AROUND" BERMUDEZ, TIP YOUR HAT BECAUSE BERMUDEZ HAD AN OUTSTANDING AB. THIS WAS MORE ABOUT BERMUDEZ THAN IT WAS STILLMAN. BUT STILL, NOW YOU HAVE 1ST AND 2ND AND A GROUND BALL WINS THE GAME. I STILL CAN'T SEE THE ARGUMENT THAT YOU TAKE THE TOP CLOSER IN THE CONFERENCE OUT AFTER THIS WALK WHEN YOU HAVE DP IN ORDER
Ferrell singled to center field; Bermudez advanced to second; Mt. Smith advanced to third. 9 8
FERRELL HITS BALL OFF SS GLOVE. SOLID CONTACT BUT 2 FEET TO THE LEFT AND WOFFORD GETS ITS GAME ENDER. INSTEAD NOW ITS BASES LOADED. THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONLY POINT IN THE INNING WHERE IT WOULD EVEN MAKE SENSE TO CONTEMPLATE TAKING STILLMAN OUT. BUT AGAIN, HE'S ALLOWED 2 HARD HIT BALLS AND HE'S AMONG THE BEST PITCHERS IN SCHOOL HISTORY. YOU ARE THE COACH. WHAT DO YOU DO??? YOU HAVE BASES LOADED, STILLMAN NOW HAS THROWN ENOUGH PITCHES THAT HE'S PROBABLY UNAVAILABLE THE NEXT DAY AND ROBINSON IS DUE UP. DURING THE YEAR, ROBINSON HAS A DOUBLE OFF LANCE AND STILLMAN HAS K'D HIM. WCU DOESN'T NEED A HIT TO TIE THE GAME SO YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A K. BASED ON MOMENTUM, K IS REALLY THE ONLY OPTION OF STAYING IN THIS GAME. DO YOU BRING IN LANCE WHO HAS A SUB 6 K/9 RATE OR DO YOU BRING IN ACCETA WHO HAS A SOLID K RATE OR DO YOU STAY WITH STILLMAN (WHO K'D ROBINSON DURING THE YEAR) AND IS 94-97 DURING THE INNING! COACH I NEEDED A K AND STAYED WITH HIS HORSE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Robinson walked, RBI; Ferrell advanced to second; Bermudez advanced to third; Mt. Smith scored. 9 9
DIDN'T WORK. NOW IT'S A TIE GAME. AT COLLEGE LEVEL, ANY BALL PUT IN PLAY AND GAME IS OVER NOW. SO YOU'RE LEFT WITH SAME SITUATION - YOU NEED A K. DO YOU TAKE STILLMAN OUT WITH HIS 15 K/9 FOR ANYONE ELSE AT THIS POINT (WHEN HE'S 94-97 WITH A HAMMER DURING THIS INNING?)
R. Strong struck out swinging. 9 9
THAT'S FUN. IT WORKED. 2 OUTS. SHOULD BE 3 OUTS. HE JUST K'D GUY. NOW DO YOU TAKE HIM OUT?? HE GOT LONG TO POPUP INNING PRIOR.
Long walked, RBI; Robinson advanced to second; Ferrell advanced to third; Bermudez scored. 9 10

There is a lot more to it that most people can't even comprehend but that was my Little League run down. There was only 1 AB that I thought it could be argued TI remove Stillman. And honestly, I'm trusting the ball with my All-American closer in that AB. It didn't work out. Further, TI's Wofford teams calling card has been successful aggressive base running and timely hitting. They pounded out 17 hits and arguably left too many on/made too many mistakes on the bases (although they had some very unfortunate luck with different bounces of the ball off the ump etc.). If you ask Coach I, I guarantee he thinks they should have scored more runs that game.

Does that mean TI needs to lose his job? When the program has best 2 years in history and banner recruiting year?
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Very disappointing end to the season for sure but we are getting better and our program is on the upswing.
You have to put the ball in the hands of your horse; it just didn't pay off.
We had lots of chances to win it but we just didn't get it done. Sort of like losing to WCU in the SoCon Bball tournament in Ashville. And losing to WCU (and Chatty and others) in football. It happens. We lost and losing sucks.
I think we are on the right track. This was in reality a rebuilding year in terms of position players.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri May 27, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm sorry. I knew I might be overreacting when I typed it. I'm just a passionate fan that wants to win. My blood runneth black and gold. And yes, after a cooling down period, I would not fire Todd. The real truth is likely that other teams like WCU, Mercer, Samford, and UNCG beat us mainly because of scholarships, not superior coaching, and that stinks. I wish I could afford to fully fund this baseball program and see what they could do with that. But I actually may contact the school about funding just one more baseball scholly soon if I can continue getting raises at work. Every little bit helps.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri May 27, 2016 3:48 pm

The baseball program is currently well-funded per TI but may take a couple of quality recruiting classes in a row to build a steady program that can compete for titles every year. I think we are close to getting there but may need 1 or 2 more good classes.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Atldog7 wrote:The baseball program is currently well-funded per TI but may take a couple of quality recruiting classes in a row to build a steady program that can compete for titles every year. I think we are close to getting there but may need 1 or 2 more good classes.

Define "well-funded". To be honest, I don't know exactly how many schollies the program has right now. I know we had 5 or less just a few years back though. Have we added more? Anyway, to me, we aren't truly "well-funded" until we reach 10-11 scholarships (the max is 11.7) I bet the schools I mentioned in my above post, the ones that are still regularly beating us despite our recent improvement, have the max or very close to it. I actually have to admire Coach I. Because IF I were a college baseball coach (in reality I know I'm very far from being one, but IF I was), as much as I love Wofford, and I love her with all my heart, I couldn't bring myself to coach somewhere that didn't have the maximum allowed scholarship allotment or very close to it because it is like trying to do a job with a hand tied behind your back. And I should always remember that before I dare ever criticize the man again.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 29, 2016 7:52 pm

WCU wins the tournament against Mercer 3-2 today on a walk-off hit by pitch. Best of luck to the Catamounts in the regionals. It will be tough though. They will likely be sent to one hosted by a very good ACC or SEC team...those two conferences have some great teams that are going to be very tough to oust.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Completely agree with NJT. Our skill and morale are much better than before TI took over. But I was not aware that our recent recruiting class was so good. If so, why do we have no players on the all-freshman team?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby njterrier on Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 pm

law - this year's recruiting class (2016 HS class).
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby The Bohemian on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Nj terrier – That’s a very good and well thought out analysis of the last inning of the WCU game. I was at Fluor Field for that one and I can assure you that very few of the Wofford faithful were questioning TI or Burke’s handling of the pitching even after the winning run had crossed the plate.

It was more likely that someone could have questioned some of the offensive strategy which got some runners thrown out on the base paths such as Nathanson getting thrown out trying to advance to third with no outs in the second after a leadoff double, but aggressive base running is certainly in our DNA and with that comes some inherent risk.

No, you don’t take out your All conference closer in the 9th at any point even though there was some foreshadowing that this could have been the result. Stillman had a couple of rocky games toward the end of the season and certainly did not breeze through the eighth, but he is arguably the best arm out of the bullpen in Wofford history. He holds the record for most appearances and might be just one or two behind Eric Eck for saves leader, a record that he certainly would have obliterated had he not been the set up man to Eck for two years. You maybe could have had a better outcome by throwing Lance out there, but you are correct in pointing out that while Lance was not likely to walk anyone, he was probably not going to strike anyone out either and Accetta or Kulman could have gotten a strikeout, but it is at least as likely that they could have been hit harder than Stillman. No, this game was Stillman’s, win or lose and TI has the comfort of knowing that he lost with his best, and one of Wofford’s best ever.

It really is silly that anyone would gripe about the job TI and staff has done with this program. Prior to TI at the helm, Wofford has amassed 30 or more wins in it’s baseball history since 1889 exactly twice. We are currently coming out of our third consecutive season of more than 30 wins and we almost got 40 in 2015. No, if someone wants to assign blame they can blame the fact that Wofford is competing with approximately 4-5 scholarships against teams in the SoCon with the full allotment of 11.7 scholarships, not to mention the fact that it takes someone with some pretty strong academic chops to even get into Wofford.
The Bohemian
Terrier Pup

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:43 pm

I posted before thinking with my emotions on my sleeve one day. I was wrong. I was disappointed that we lost and I was posting with my heart and not my head. I'm sorry. Coach I has done a good job with this program. I am still hoping that one day it will get funded more. Regardless, I am a fan until I die.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball