2016 Season Preview

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

2016 Season Preview

Postby lawdog on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Interesting early SoCon observations. Thoughts? Agree/disagree? http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/cfb/s ... 74&src=CFB
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2016 Season Preview

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:33 pm

This year IMHO will be closer than last year or the year before for different reasons. First the Mocs have lost at least two coaches recently - Will Healy last year and another one I can't remember his name in 2014. And I am about 90% sure that Healy took at least one and maybe two Mocs coaches with him. According to the news that I have read Healy was a major cog in the Mocs system. I am skeptical that his leaving will not impact the program in a negative manner. Also Jacob Huseman leaving has to have a negative impact although to what degree is yet to be seen. They also lost some other players but nowhere near Huseman's stature. Anyway my conclusion is that the Mocs should be at the top or at least near it but I will be surprised if they win it again for the reasons I just mentioned. The Citadel - I really hate to say it - is the team to beat. The only negative thing about them as well as I remember is that their HC is not there. Western could end the season as #3 but without Mitchell as QB I seriously doubt that will happen.

I think everybody expects the Terriers to have another mediocre season. Everybody except the Terriers, Terrier coaches and Terrier fans. One of our main weaknesses and I think the biggest weakness last year was our OL. But this year the OL will return intact and with EJ back for his last season the O should be a well oiled machine. I am not going to go out on a limb and make a bold prediction but if things go our way in a positive manner then we could surprise a lot of people. I would not say the conference race will be wide open but the chances of one team being dominant like the Mocs were the past two years are less and maybe much less.

GO TERRIERS !!!!!!
Loyalterrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:42 am

Almost as impactful as Houston going to JMU (with another offensive coach) for Cid is the loss of DC Maurice Drayton to the NFL. Drayton had as much to do with their recent success as anybody, especially recruiting.
Watch out for Samford and WCU. The league will be as wide open as any season in recent memory.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Good point. Mercer could be dangerous too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:48 pm

That Mercer team that played almost every team well was mostly juniors and below. They should be tough this year.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:19 pm

I would say our success depends largely on the amount of injuries we have. If we avoid devastating injuries, we will have a great chance to be competetive in every game in the league and maybe even win it, though it doesn't help that many of our tougher games are on the road this year. If the injury bug bites hard like it has in several previous seadons, we will struggle. It seems so obvious but health is always a big factor in our season and definitely worth bringing up. We stay healthy and the postseason is not an unreasonable goal.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Injuries are always part of the game and impact every team, as they are hard to avoid. I have been extremely pleased that our OL started wearing protective knee braces the last few years (FINALLY!!!) but why do injuries seem to always kill our seasons? They always seem to have much more impact on us than other teams. Why is that??? Are we not recruiting as much depth as the other schools in our conference??? If so, why not?
Our classes have gotten better each year for the last several years but are we that far behind???

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:40 pm

I think our recruiting leaves a lot to be desired. We have missed on several kids who came but did not stay or left after 4 years (or was not asked back for a 5th year). This leaves some definite gaps in the depth chart. We had 22 off season surgeries I heard.
I also think our S&C program needs some tweaking.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 pm

It is still my strong opinion that in order for us to be a playoff contender we have to remain pretty close to injury free. Any significant injury to any significant player would be a killer. It is true that injuries seem to hurt us more than some of our conference foes. It could be recruiting, it could be S&C, it could be both. I'm not sure. I'm not a program insider who is really close to what's going on. But since it seems like people think injuries are unavoidable, then I would have to predict another year as an also-ran. But I will hold out hope that this is the year that everyone stays healthy, we get the playcalling and execution together, and we return to the playoffs. We'll see.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 pm

I did not think this deserved a new topic and so I am putting this little bit of info here. Anyway just last week it was announced that two players for the Mocs were dismissed from the team. One of them is Dee Virgin and the other one was one of their highly touted young players. At first Virgin denied it but they apparently showed him the video and he had no choice. http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31880187/mo ... ter-arrest. So sad that young people do such dumb things.
Loyalterrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue May 10, 2016 11:35 am

Add this to the review. The Terriers are coming. The players are locked in, trust me, there is a resolve in this group, and they are looking at 2016 as a special opportunity to leave their mark. Terriers back in a big way in 2016-2017. BOOK IT!!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Thu May 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Does anyone know a Dr. or someone Nick could do an Intern with this summer in the Spartanburg area.
For the short time he will be home he will be with a Cardiologist,
Any help he can get will greatly be appreciated.
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Mon May 16, 2016 12:36 pm

A glimpse at the current roster indicates a number of players have recently added substantial heft. Stout.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 30, 2016 1:52 pm

We are showing up in top 20 lists for next year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:00 am

Freshmen have been folded into the posted roster; bios and stats to come later. Looking at this bunch, we are going to be loaded to the gills in the backfield ... am I wrong?
http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx?path=football
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football