Wofford/SHS

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Wofford/SHS

Postby WTFan on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:47 am

For those of you that do not live around here, you may find it interesting to know that yesterday the voters in Spartanburg County School Dist. 7, passed a referendum to construct a new Spartanburg High School. Included in the plans are the construction of a football stadium onsite. The school is scheduled to be open in the fall of 2019. I am sure many of you see this as a positive for Wofford. While I am sure the athletic department will miss the annual revenue from SHS renting the stadium for their games each year, I am sure Andy Kiah and his crew will not miss having to prepare the fields for a Saturday home game after high school Friday night. So, in three years Wofford will have Gibbs Stadium all to itself. I think it has been a good partnership but time has certainly come for a new high school in Spartanburg. With the new housing and Fraternity Row so close to the stadium, the inevitable distraction with traffic and crowds on Friday nights in the fall will be a thing of the past come 2019. As a graduate of both schools and a resident of Spartanburg I am excited to see what the future holds for both institutions.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford/SHS

Postby walliver on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I also am a graduate of both.

For a long time, the deal made sense. SHS was located downtown (the building is now the Spartanburg Community College downtown campus) and there was nowhere for a stadium. When the new school was built in Fernwood, part of the deal allowing it to locate in a residential neighborhood included a prohibition of a football stadium.

Over the last 30 years, however, things have changed. The demographics of SHS have changed and so have the crowds. I have always understood that the fans in the stadium have not been a problem, but that the crowds have brought in some less than desirable characters. Even when I was at Wofford (1978-1982), campus security was stepped up on Friday nights. There was also the murder 10 years ago.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:25 pm

I am happy we get our stadium to ourselves which we can now fully brand.
I am however concerned over the loss of the annual revenue. I am told we need it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:21 pm

I know very little about how the financials of the athletic program work, but based off the numbers mentioned here, I can't imagine that this will not negatively impact Wofford's position. That being said, this will also open up some room for growth. A fully "Wofford-ized" stadium with branding and no more high school stadium comments is a plus for Wofford culturally and athletically, but will come with increased costs due to the loss of revenue.

I don't remember many problems with Spartanburg High students during my time at Wofford (1992-1995) other than the post game mass of them standing in the center of Fraternity Row and occasionally getting up the courage to try to (unsuccessfully) get into the houses. I never remember an issue with any of them at our house although I can't say the same about football players from others institutions, but that's another story. I realize that times have changed so this may be a bigger issue now than it was.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:39 am

I don't know if there has ever really been an issue with Spartan High students; I believe the issues have been with some of the communities assocIated with SHS and their opponents, or at least there were in the mid to late '80s.
And yes the high school stadium comment (along with sharing your field with a high school) has been used for years against us in recruiting.
I guess aside from my WoCo perspective, I am interested in seeing whether SHS' capital spending spree will approach Dorman's facilities.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Ruckus wrote:I don't know if there has ever really been an issue with Spartan High students; I believe the issues have been with some of the communities assocIated with SHS and their opponents, or at least there were in the mid to late '80s.
And yes the high school stadium comment (along with sharing your field with a high school) has been used for years against us in recruiting.
I guess aside from my WoCo perspective, I am interested in seeing whether SHS' capital spending spree will approach Dorman's facilities.

In this podcast from city, they mention Dorman and some numbers. I don't remember the exact ones
http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/news/p ... lding-plan
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football