SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: SoCon Tourney

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:16 pm

UTC beat Samford 59-54
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Down by 5 at the half to WCU. Need to turn it up a bit next half.......not shooting as well as expected......go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:17 pm

31-25 Western leads at half
S L O W start for both teams. WCU's Brown is hurting us from outside and with drives.
Terriers missed some open looks. Time to bring it next 20 minutes.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby njterrier on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Fletcher is unreal.

So far - same story all year - can't stop dribble penetration. Hopefully we can get some stops!!
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Ouch, that hurt. Just got a little tired down the stretch. Get 'em next year!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Basically, we just had a lot of trouble getting wins away from home this season. And we hit a slump at the end of the season, which is simply the worst time for that to happen. Hopefully the terrific newcomers we have coming in will improve us next year. This year we frankly just weren't good enough. Our defense just wasn't there like it's been in the past and we lacked a take charge leader on offense when we really needed baskets...Fletcher Magee should be that guy sooner rather than later...that's just a lot to put on a true freshman's shoulders no matter how good he is.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Was traveling today and watched the second half and the 2 OTs on my phone in an Atlanta coffee shop. Great effort. Very excited about the program going forward!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:05 am

We were atypically poor (58 percent) on our FT's, hitting 14 to their 26.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 am

Bingo! We hit 75-80 percent we win.
Our defense this year especially against the dribble drive was horrible.
Spencer didn't show up.
Fletcher kept us in it.
Need an influx of new young athletic talent who can play some D (and score) and get Cam back healthy.
I thought MY coached a good game. We just didn't get it done despite some good opportunities.
Mediocre team all year. Seems to be familiar refrain at Wofford in almost all of our athletic teams.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Not sure what happened to Spencer the last few games. This was a disappointing year. Thought this team would do better, but for some reason we never really became what was hoped. For the first time in many years our defense was our weakness, rather than our strength. The change of shot clock may have hurt us a little more than others-not enough time to discuss it. We really couldn't stop other teams from driving to the basket. CJ was a warrior all year long-outmanned, undersized and had to play way too many minutes. We have talent going forward, but need to shore up some spots. Magee is capable of becoming an all time Wofford great if he gets help. We need Cam to get healthy and come back as a force underneath. Pegram needs to fall in love with the weight room and study footwork. We CAN be good next year. It depends on how much they want it. I think we all were just not aware of how much Lee Skinner and Karl Cochran meant to the team. Leadership on the team is always a mystery. Oftentimes you think you have it and it just doesn't work out. Things happen that are unknown to the fans that can make a great team good or vice versa. Our guys represented us well and with class. I wish the seniors well. They seem to be class guys who will be successful in life.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:11 pm

We had a losing record this year. That's all you really need to know.
I was never expecting this team to repeat and stand up to the level of success of the last few. I knew losing Skinner and Cochran would hurt us. I guess I am more disappointed in how we finished than anything. Losing 4 out of 5 in the last 2 weeks to UNCG, WCU (twice) and ETSU.
That being said, we lost a one point OT game at Mercer and of course the miracle tip-in finish/loss at FU without which would have put us right there. Yesterday was a toss up with WCU essentially having a home game.
In Spencer's defense, he played against every team's best defender each night. There's plenty of blame to go around: Gordon was too inconsistent, Gactia missed too many key shots, Fletcher, while a huge offensive threat, had trouble adjusting to playing defense in the SoCon, CJ while a stout post defender was never an offensive threat, and we got very few points off our bench.
In the end though, it was our inept defense (especially on the perimeter) that sunk us. I saw where MY had some strong remarks about that in his post game yesterday.
Our seniors played hard and led well. They all had great careers in their own way. Proud of their representation of Wofford and appreciate their sacrifice and effort.
Next year will be a big unknown. We may be another year or 2 away from a serious run assuming we get another dynamic PG to replace Garcia.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:56 am

Chatty-ETSU in the final. Anybody have any feelings on who they want to to rep the conference in the tourney? I am going with UTC.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:06 am

UTC wins 73-67; Lady Mocs won their tourney yesterday. First time that's happened in SoCon.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Congrats to Fletcher on making 2nd team All Tournament.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Pretty rare for a team that loses in the first round to be honored this way.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball