Tournament

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Tournament

Postby MerrierTerrier on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 am

I have been mostly quiet this year watching the same story repeat itself. Year after year it is the same thing. Is there talent on these teams? Yes. Should they win more games each year? In my opinion, the answer is yes. I am hopeful that the ladies will rise to the occasion and run deep in the tournament, but I am also a realist. My question is this; would the school tolerate a men's program that performed similarly to that of the women's for this long?
MerrierTerrier
Junior Terrier

Re: Tournament

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:56 pm

MerrierTerrier wrote:I have been mostly quiet this year watching the same story repeat itself. Year after year it is the same thing. Is there talent on these teams? Yes. Should they win more games each year? In my opinion, the answer is yes. I am hopeful that the ladies will rise to the occasion and run deep in the tournament, but I am also a realist. My question is this; would the school tolerate a men's program that performed similarly to that of the women's for this long?

My first impulse was to say "no way". But then I thought a minute and realized that this is Wofford and that losing record in sports are not really frowned upon as much here as they are at many other schools. So I really can't definitely say for sure. Since men's basketball is a revenue sport, I'd like to think not, but then again, it just doesn't seem to be the "Wofford Way" to fire coaches just for losing games.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 pm

One and done; 63-43 lost to Samford...

Many have already shared "spot on" assessments asking how this continues??? Baffling - so disappointed for the ladies' team.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Coach Farmer resigned. In typical Wofford fashion, we won't fire anybody but one has to think it was not voluntary.
Here's the answer to your question, Merrier.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Good luck to Mr. Farmer and I wish him the best, but it was past time for him to go. He had his chances and then some. Hopefully some new leadership can pump some life into this program and get it going.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Best wishes to Coach Farmer. This should be a very attractive coaching job for the right candidate . Our players, current and future, deserve the best chance for some success.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 am

Indeed, lawdog. The job could be very attractive to someone. Great school with strong academics, beautiful campus, strong conference, beautiful new arena about to open...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby MerrierTerrier on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:13 pm

I wish the very best to Coach Farmer. He is one of the most decent men I have met. It just didn't seem to congeal year after year. Perhaps, a new coach will invigorate the program.
MerrierTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:22 pm

From Woffordgrad 94's post on Men's Basketball tab; Clemson once again faltered late in the basketball season...a familiar refrain. But I have to wonder how many people really care. They only care about football in Tiger Town. It's funny how different the South Carolina schools look at basketball compared to North Carolina schools like UNC, Duke, and Davidson. I've always wondered why Carolina split into two different states. Maybe that's why. I just hope that they don't fire this women's basketball coach and then we hire her at Wofford with the excuse "she has experience at a Power 5 school." She'd be a poor hire.

Thinking outside the box for the next ladies' team coach...how about Shea Ralph, an assistant on UConn's Huber successful staff. She has about 7 years experience; now works with Huskies guards; played guard on UConn's national championship team. And she hails from North Carolina. Just saying...
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Works for me (IF we could afford her). Impressive! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_Ralph
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 am

Noah Dahlman is playing professionally in Bucharest, but for several years he has been doing summer basketball schools in Spartanburg, the midwest, and elsewhere, for younger players. Just a thought: would he even be interested in being the Wofford women's coach. (His sister is a fine player at Vanderbilt.)
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Ever since Terrier fans have been talking about the idea of a new coach for the ladies I have, believe it or not, thought of ND as a candidate. So ld you may have hit the nail right on the head. I hope he is considered as a serious candidate and I hope he has a mutual feeling. Granted it may take a few years and maybe more for him to build a winning program but eventually he would get it done I am sure.
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Watching U Conn play tonight, it is apparent how important coaching is in the women's game, and part of that is recruiting. I hope we will take the time to do it right.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Women's Basketball