Shiel Wood back as safeties coach

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Shiel Wood back as safeties coach

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 pm

It seemed to me early on last season we did some passing to the WR position (#19) which was very successful. Then abandoned it entirely as the season wore on. Maybe that decision was made during between game practices or maybe it was done on gameday. With this new "job title", maybe coach Brown will be able to more strongly advocate for the passing game. I agree we have some really good players at he WR position right now, and just hope like crazy we use them more and more.......well I can hope, can't I ???
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 pm

Ruckus wrote:Sneaking plays into the playbook is one thing. Getting them called in the game is another.

This is true, but a responsible party advocating their use has to be an improvement over what we've had. Certainly Coach Ayers wouldn't go to the trouble of creating a position to just have it stymied by the OC. I have no delusions of much over the top stuff, but I'd love to see some safe, short routes to let our skill guys see what they can create and then have some solid position sets for when the FB dive doesn't work on 1st and 2nd down and we need to pick up a 3rd and 8. Then again, I'd love to see our old TE fly route that burned defenses over the top almost once a game.

But, you are right, in the end, I don't think anything gets called without the OC's stamp of approval. If he is truly adverse to throwing the ball then only one person, Mike Ayers, can insist on changes. Will that happen, I'm not sure, but this new position could be a signal that it has. Time will tell...
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 am

I think we are all versed with who we are philosophically on offense. We should have no delusions in regards to what we are and what we will be doing. However, I will speak on the recruitment of RJ, and what the pitch was from the Wofford staff, and how this may all be tying up with the passing coordinator position. During the recruiting process, The Wofford staff pitch to RJ was they had traditionally sought bigger, more physical receivers designed for possession type receivers and perimeter blockers. What they wanted to recruit in RJ's class were playmaking receivers that could and would make plays after the catch and or stretch the field over the top, due to wanting to expand the playbook and diversify the offense through the air. And they effectively had done that with RJ, Bryce, and Alencio Graham that wound up decommitting and heading to Furman. Now, I say all of that, as I think RJ and Bryce have earned the trust of the staff over the last 2 years, and the additions of more playmakers at the receiver position over the last 2 classes, we seem to be trending towards that reality. Coach Brown heading to Passing game coordinator can only be a positive and may very well be a step in the direction of what the staff had envisioned all along. I'd like to think that is the case anyway. Just some input.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Apparently playmaking receivers are easier to find than effective pass blocking OLs (and who can drive block as well).The addition of Newman may help speed this vision along too.
FWIW - I truly believe we are trying to diversify some and the coaches are trying to transform our offense; but in the end, when the rubber meets the road and we are playing to win, the run game is just more effective....at least right now.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 pm

There is something particularly satisfying, and elegantly simple, about running the ball at someone when they cannot stop you. It is generally impossible to do, however, unless you have a few pass patterns and other variations to keep the defense from stacking up against you. I like the uniqueness of our offense (beautiful to see when it works), IF we can get more creative in selective situations, as we have done well on occasion in the past, but not lately.

Together with that we need to get seriously better at DEFENDING the pass, which has been an Achilles Heel.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Agree with all that lawdog!!!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football