Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Shiel Wood back as safeties coach

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:42 am

Just saw it tweeted by Connolly.
As I recall, Wood may have had concerns over time with family and was encouraged to pursue other interests. So I guess things have come full circle.
Welcome back, Coach Wood.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Shiel Wood back as safeties coach

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:10 am

Shiel Wood is a SHD if ever there was one. I am very excited to hear that he is returning. I believe he left the staff previously because his wife had completed medical school and accepted a residency somewhere in the Midwest. They had been able to make it work while she was in Charleston and he was in Spartanburg, but the distance involved with the residency was too great. I know he left with a heavy heart. Coaching is in his blood.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Do we know what has changed in his circumstances to allow his return? Just curious....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Says he is also coming in as recruiting coordinator. If this whole Michigan camp was his idea, then he has hit a HR in my book on the first year.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:30 pm

I have heard his dad say that Shiel hoped to be back one day.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Ruckus wrote:Do we know what has changed in his circumstances to allow his return? Just curious....

My guess is that his wife completed her residency, possibly a fellowship too, and now they have the freedom to move back to the upstate. Just a guess, mind you.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 pm

I guess that's a solid hiring strategy to overcome our limited budget: hire doctors' husbands who are alums and don't need the money.
I must admit though I have reservations about making a guy our recruiting director who has been out of the coaching business for several years.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Me too!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby 20terrier15 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Also of interest. Eric Nash has been named run game coordinator and Freddie Brown Passing game coordinator.
20terrier15
Terrier Pup

Postby walliver on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:50 pm

20terrier15 wrote:Also of interest. Eric Nash has been named run game coordinator and Freddie Brown Passing game coordinator.

What do these new titles mean? And what does Wade Lang do now? Coordinate the coordinators?
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Can't argue with Shiel's past success and experience. And he is a high-energy guy. Plus, if we have both running and passing coordinators, it could result in more creativity for both; let them compete with each other to see which part of the offense performs best, and the team benefits.
http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/2/ ... 60447.aspx
Last edited by lawdog on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:40 pm

I see this as little more than recognizing the input of Nash and Brown to the offensive game planning. In reality, they have functioned in this capacity for a while. Maybe it will allow WL to delegate the game planning a little more but I doubt we will really see any difference in the team's play. Maybe it will allow WL a little more time to spend with/prepping our QBs.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 pm

A couple of observations/questions:

I like the fact that Coach Wood knows WoCo so well, having played & coached in our system. I believe his familiarity with both the school and our system will make him an effective recruiter.

I cannot recall much in particular about his time at WoCo on the defensive side of the ball...Do we think Coach Wood will be an advocate for making our D more aggressive or he is more of the bend but don't break mindset?

I am a big proponent of best man for the job, but still wonder whether our staff needs to be more diverse? We still seem to be getting very high quality and diverse student-athletes, but I know that the teams we recruit against have played that card against us.

Who knew we had a "passing game" much less a coordinator ?...Is this code for allowing Coach Brown to take most Saturdays in the fall off or might this finally mean a reduction in FB dives for no gain to "keep 'em honest" ? Should his title really be "perimeter blocking coordinator"?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm not up on all the requirements of the job, but I've always considered the recruiting coordinator to be someone who is organized and passionate, moreso than someone who is responsible for recruiting specific players. In other words, just that, someone who can manage/coordinate/organize the recruiting process. Position coaches will scout and recruit their own players along with the coaches assigned to certain territories and the coordinator will keep track of schedules, organize players materials, probably monitor compliance and things like that. Assuming I am at least close on that, I think Coach Wood would do a good job because he has experience one both side of the program at Wofford and he seems to be someone who is respected as an administrative coach.

As far as the passing game coordinator, I'm sure that is a bit different title at Wofford than at Oregon or Boise State, but none the less something we might benefit from. Perhaps someone openly advocating for passing plays will help sneak some of those plays into our sets. Perhaps it is also a nod to the fact that we have a great crop of playmakers at WR right now and prospects for QB's that can get them the ball.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Sneaking plays into the playbook is one thing. Getting them called in the game is another.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football