Rising RS-F's and Sophs

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Rising RS-F's and Sophs

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

We will have a strong group of seniors and juniors next year. And we have a strong class of new recruits "in the barn".

The last two classes have also been strong. Which 7-8 players, or more, who are rising sophomores or RS freshmen do you think will be key contributors next year?
(Clearly in this group would appear to be Miles Brown, Domo Lemon, and JoJo Tillery, who played key roles as freshmen.)
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Rising RS-F's and Sophs

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:35 pm

I agree. We will have to see what they do with JoJo, with both Nick Ward back and from everything I'm hearing Cole Higbie will also definitely be back, we will have a logjam at safety.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Real excited about this season coming. I think if you had any thoughts of making a run at the SoCon title, you would have to look at this season coming as one of the best opportunities in a while, with changing landscape with El Cid, graduation of the Huesman kid at Chatty, you have a very strong group of Upperclassmen and infusion of young talent. Really interested to see how the QB position plays out. Great class just signed..........
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:57 pm

If history holds (which I hope it does not but odds are good that it will), several will likely get hurt at some point so depth is a good thing. I love the idea of Jaleel, Nick, JoJo, and Higbie back there as a 2 deep with Rivera too. Alsatt is a huge bonus.
Patterson, Stewart and Clemons look to inherit the ILB spots with Rountree stepping in and now D. Wilson and Brown available. Love that line up.
OLB will return all 4: Young, Vining, Roach (who I look to have a break out year), and Lyles. Add in Hinton and now J. Wilson to that mix. Pretty deep there too.
DL should be a strength with Bryant, Cornellier, Vaughn, Brown, Boudreaux, and Curtis back. Assuming Perlotte is back, add in Zamary and Mangum with Horton. DL should be a strength of our D.
CB is a little more fluid. Chris will anchor as a 4 year starter but we need to replace Brion who had a great Sr. year (2nd team All-SoCon selection). Grimes and Lemon need to step up along with Gbessee and the 3 incoming freshmen (Redwood, Paschal, and Strawter). CB is our biggest transition.
Other than CB, we are as deep and athletic as we have ever been on D. The question is now we another transition with Shadon being gone. Who will we hire?
Offense is a reload situation too with the only deep losses being at TE (Mueller graduates but Gouger should step in) and WR (Irvin, Francis, and Logan graduate but again Motes, Taylor, Helligar, Cleary, Hill and now Lindsay are available). We lose Chamberlain at RG but he was hurt most the year last year. We lose Ray Smith at RB but Gay will be back for 5th year plus add in Colvin, Windham, Martin, McAfee, Marshall, and these 3 freshmen studs and we are loaded with talent. FB is a full plate too with LoLo, Nelson and Stoddard. We return all the OLs that played much last year plus Basinger, Ronan, and Ralph.
Wow. Deep deep deep.
Last edited by Ruckus on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Ruckus you're right depth is a great thing.

CB Grimes will not be returning, he is graduating. That makes our CB ranks even thinner with the lose of Able as well. DoMo Lemon better be ready.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:24 pm

And can Mance coach em up?
So we have a grand total of one returning CB with any significant game experience. Wow.
I think Lemon will do fine (he played pretty late last year and physically he looks the part) but we are razor thin behind him all F or RSF.e
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Mance is the man for the job. There is a plan, I will tell you that, look for what we all hope is a very pleasant change, that will be very evident come spring practice.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 pm

I think you will see that surplus of Safety talent spill over to corner. Several of those guys will help out at the corner position. With Chris being the anchor of the corners, Gbeses and Domo back, I think with some of the safeties coming over to corner we will be fine. Amazing to think about the depth that we return on both sides of the ball.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:55 pm

I have thought about the possibility of a S moving over to help out but any idea yet might move? No one jumps out at me. Rivera or Higbie seem the most likely candidates. I would not move Nick or Jaleel for sure. JoJo could probably do it too; now that's a big athletic corner.
Thanks for the info on Mance. Seems like a class guy and his experience speaks for itself although you never know how that will translate into coaching. I think I like where this is headed schematically (as long as we get pressure on the QB).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I think Devin Watson could be a factor at DB. The freshmen should help there early too; Paschal looks most promising at CB.

Rountree and Horlak should get some PT. If Nnodim is serious about football, I could see him stepping up some, perhaps at WDE.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Forgot about Devin. Yep, he could do it. Really like that possibility.
I am not sure Horlak will be back. Hope so but have heard he may some injury issues.
I don't see Nnodim factoring in for another year or so. Alavarez might though if he continues to work hard in the weightroom; he is much further along technique/knowledge-wise.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 pm

For sure Ward, Green, Higbie, or Rivera won't be moving. I have no idea what they are thinking in regards to any of the others moving. My choice (strictly my opinion) Jojo Would be good, especially coupled with a couple of other changes, that I think it's best I don't say just yet.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Tyler Vaughn spent a few days at my house during Christmas break, and he said Miles Brown might be the best D lineman in the conference. Let's hope he can stay healthy.

Getting Terrence Morris back will also be a huge addition.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:37 pm

People forget Brown was a highly rated wrestler in the DC area; he really knows how to leverage and use his body, and is not ever a quitter; quick too.

Josh Burger, our new OL, was a very good wrestler too.

I agree; have loved Morris from day one.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Forgot all about Morris too! Dadgum, another real difference maker (assuming he can get back anywhere near where he was). Was just doing that off the top of my head on a quick break from work.
Love this.
Really interested in the possible new techniques/schemes.
Brown is a certified blue ribbon stud. Helluva athlete at his size with strength and balance to go with explosive quickness.
Last edited by Ruckus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football