@Furman

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: @Furman

Postby Ruckus on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Students in visiting team's huddle, bullhorns, rushing the court, players accosted..... I thought Georgia Southern left the conference???
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:41 pm

I really thought Furman and their students and fans were better than that. I'm dissappointed in this. I lost a ton of respect for FU today.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:54 pm

+1
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:00 am

Todd sat near Coach Young during the game and wrote about it

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.c ... rspective/
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 am

You know what they say about payback...IT'S HELL.
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocomouth on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:47 am

I traded emails with Henson yesterday....apparently he left their broadcast spot to keep the students away from our players and coaches. Anyone see that? I had flashbacks to a PKA/SAE Terrier tag game.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:28 pm

Ironically, in spite of everything else, I guess you have to consider it a compliment that they stormed the court after beating us. It shows that this win really meant something to them and is a testament to what our program has accomplished recently. And though they didn't storm the court at Mercer, they packed the place for their game with us- it obviously meant a lot to them too. This season is kind of a rebuilding season, but we obviously have garnered some great respect (and hate) from our fellow SoCon schools in basketball. Hate is just part of success and comes right along with respect for the program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Personally I have no issue with storming the court as long as the celebration with the team and not physical altercations or threats against us......which is exactly what happened Saturday at Furman, on top of LAX team members invading our huddle.
Seems to be encouraged by Medved and FU admin while apologists like radio announcer Dan Scott openly endorse it because "it's a good problem to have" and "no one got hurt." Only because we have class kids and coaches, Dan. Some other teams and players may react differently. If so who's to blame then, Dan?
I fault the FU admin as much as the kids who were only doing what they were encouraged to do.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:33 pm

Like Ruckus, storming the court doesn't bother me, but endangering our team does. I suppose the reasoning was that it was a win for them (in exciting fashion) over the two-time defending league champion (and the team that dashed their run last tournament). Since the Furman faithful maintain that we aren't their rival I will assume that that wasn't a factor. :roll: At least I hope that is the case because if not, then they need some help in determining the proper time to storm a court because in the context of big time basketball I think court storming after wins over teams with losing records is pretty rare.

At the end of the day, I think we take it for what it is and move on. There are bigger fish for our Terriers to fry going forward because this season is not over. If the guys gel in the coming weeks we are very capable of making a March run in the SoCon tournament. Maybe we don't win the whole thing, but we can definitely make some noise. I have every confidence that when the Paladins visit Wofford later this year that there will be no such shenanigans. However, if I was Coach Young, I would talk to Coach Ayers about borrowing the starting O-Line and D-Line to sit behind the Wofford bench at future visits to Furman.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 pm

+1

Will the SoCon do anything re: the classless antics of students/fans/others involved? Doubtful...
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 am

"At the end of the day, I think we take it for what it is and move on." +1.

Mike Young will do what he always does: coach his team hard and treat them (and opponents) with respect, be a gentleman, try like h*** to win, and shake hands when it is over. No-one here has given up on these SHD's, and you can be sure the coaches have not, and neither have these SHD's.

Compared to the stuff that went on up at WVU last year, where EG got his jaw broken by Huggins and his gang, this silliness at Furman is child's play.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball