UNCG at Home

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

UNCG at Home

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 am

Today at 7 p.m. (SoCon Network) it is time to toughen up and get serious, and put the team first.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: UNCG at Home

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 pm

3/4 of the first half gone and we are even with UNCG. At least we are settled down a bit, but at a big disadvantage in the post. Our guards need to relax and hit some shots. It is hard to get any respect from the opposition when you don't drive to the basket.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Our guys battled well and got a good W. CJ really played hard against a couple of much taller and pretty talented guys. Welcome back, Spencer! Really good job by Sawvell to fill in when guys got in foul trouble. We needed this, and we needed to remember how to win.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Got, and hit, some open 3's. Our D was good at times but needs to get more consistent and urgent. I thought Sawvell did some good things. Should be a confidence builder.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:24 pm

That 24-26 at the line didn't hurt us either. Pretty impressive considering that our two biggest guys were unable to play. Coach Young said that Pegram will start practicing tomorrow. Cam Jackson evidently has a stress fracture in his foot. That's bad news. It is not easy to recover, and something a number of big guys deal with.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Just returned from BenJo. Wow, what an overall great effort by our guys. I concur with what was said above, especially about Sawvell. He really helped slow down their big guy underneath after Neumann picked up his 4th foul. Crowd wasn't huge, but got pretty vocal. That reminds me, I need a glass of water. And maybe a celebratory beverage afterward.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Pretty favorable schedule to start conference play for the Terriers. Confidence builder tonight and beatable VMI and Samford are the next two teams. Would love to be 3-0 when we host Chattanooga. I know, one game at a time ...
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:11 pm

Nice win...
CJ continues to bring it as he defends bigger opponents. Additionally, Ryan W did a nice job spelling CJ when he got in foul trouble. He also made some key mid-range shots.
Team is unselfish - often looking to make another pass to get a better shot.
Nice to see 3s falling for Eric and Spencer.
High 5 to Fletcher for leading the country on FT percentage. (And this will NOT jinx him.)
Savor the result; Beat VMI!
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:05 am

They still shot over 50% against us from the field (52%). FTs were the difference (and our 3s). We just cannot defend. I am not sure why we don't go zone some, esp. with new shot clock. Good effort by our guys. Glad Spencer and Eric stepped up.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:20 am

Spenser shot it well and played a good game, but defensive intensity can be very off and on. His teammates are watching him.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:15 am

The three UNCG big men were 18-29, so that's where they shot well. Their big scoring guard was 6-9, but a couple of those were somewhat desperation shots near the end. CJ had to guard some good big men, with some help from Gordon. CJ plays smaller than his size, but he makes up a lot on intelligence and desire. Justin is trying to find his way as a player who has to guard big inside players, and it obviously is a work in progress. The coaches have made some adjustments bringing some guys off the bench who would not otherwise be playing or have to guard big men. Last night was a great example of guys stepping up. We don't have enough guys to play "hack a ___" but last night would have been a great time for that. Moving the ball around and creating havoc for the opposition defense really showed up last night, and I hope the light bulb went on. If we don't have players who can get to the basket we have to pass it quickly and well to free up some shooters.
I, too, wonder why we don't work on a zone defense. Even Dean Smith and Coach K finally went to zone defenses eventually when necessary. First we need to get Matt Pegram back and hope Cam can come back.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 am

Good observations Boulder, especially on some occasional zone; it is too good an arrow to leave in the quiver, especially since on the offensive end we play such a deliberate style and rarely fast break. In present circumstances, Justin needs to be more active inside as a defender and defensive rebounder; he has good size and experience, and is very athletic. He should be a helluva rebounder and fear no man. It will create offensive opportunities for himself and others as well. Spenser needs to do more of that on D too; he also is experienced and physically imposing. Sawvell needs to keep getting better in the post too. He has some savvy and good touch inside, but can be more assertive; I like his game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:03 pm

A few observations:

-- Wofford looked pretty much like the teams we have come to expect: tough defense, good shot selection and ball movement on offense, solid leadership (Spencer Collins really stepped up).

-- UNCG's high shooting percentage, as has been pointed out, had to do with their strength in the paint. Without Pegram and Jackson, Wofford was at a major disadvantage. Yes, Sawvell and Gordon can possibly be more aggressive, tough -- but here's the deal: UNCG had a guy listed 6-8/280 and another 6-11/275. These dudes were HUGE. Players who are 6-6/220ish simply are at a tremendous disadvantage against players with that kind of size. With Pegram and Jackson, it might have been a different matter, but I have a hard time faulting guys who are smaller by 2-4 inches and 40-50 pounds. Neumann, meanwhile, has the muscle to hang with big guys, and he played tough -- but he, too, isn't as big as those hosses for UNCG.

-- I try not to complain about the officiating, and, overall, I think things were pretty even. But, darn, I thought the 5th foul on Neumann was a bad call. He knew he had 4 fouls, just stood there straight up, obviously trying to avoid the foul. The opposing player scored, got the foul. Then, he missed the free throw and they got the rebound and scored. Took the game from a 10-point WoCo lead to 6 without only about a minute left.

-- If Collins can play like he did last night -- hitting open shots, going aggressively toward the basket, looking like he WANTS the ball in his hands -- then Wofford has a chance to be pretty good, I think.

-- Any word on when/if Jackson might return? Pegram?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Pegram practices starting today and Jackson is iffy for the rest of the season. May not play again this year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Dang -- that stinks about Cam Jackson. I'm sorry for the guy.

It seems that the coaches have had pretty big hopes for him. A big, strong, athletic guy in the paint could really help, and I was hoping he'd come into his own this year.

Unlike maybe some years in the past, however, Wofford is fortunate to at least have options. Even with two post players out last night, the team was able to do enough to beat an opponent with a strong inside game.

In any case, good luck to Jackson on a good recovery.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball