@Harvard

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

@Harvard

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:07 am

Games vs. Vanderbilt and Austin Peay are next; but, wanted to share the details for the Wofford - Harvard pre-game event on Thursday, December 31.

Celebrate NYE in Boston with your Wofford Terriers!

Kick off your New Year's Eve celebrations by getting together with your fellow Terriers! Join us at Legal Seafood for a pregame celebration before the men's basketball team takes on Harvard.

Wofford vs. Harvard Basketball Pregame
December 31, 2015
11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.
(Tip-off is at 2:30 p.m.)
Legal Seafood - Charles Square
20 University Road | Cambridge, MA

There is no cost to attend this event. Food and drink will be provided.

The restaurant is about a mile away from Lavietes Pavilion - basketball fieldhouse. Public transportation is available; but, if the weather continues to be in the 50s(!), will be an easy walk across the Charles River.

Purchase game tickets through the Harvard athletic ticket office. Link available thru Wofford's alumni page. Questions? Contact the Wofford Alumni Office at alumni@wofford.edu or 864-597-4185.

Looking forward to welcoming all! If I can be of assistance with area info, please send me a PM.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Re: @Harvard

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 am

Saw parts of last night's championship game between Harvard & Oklahoma in the Diamond Head Classic (Hawaii.) The Crimson led at the half by 2, fell behind by ~18 points; then, made a strong rally before losing 83-71. Notes:

- Tommy Amaker, head coach, has turned the Crimson into a perennial contender for the Ivy League title.
- H's offense mirrors our wing entry pass with looks to very agile/athletic forwards. Notably, #4 Edosomwan; named to the All-tourney team; strong player; can shoot; moves well around the basket and rebounds on both ends.
- H played 2-1-2 zone for most of 1st half; then, changed to man-man as they fought back.
- #3 Miller (G) can shoot 3's (was 60% behind the arc) - particularly good when it's catch and shoot; must be guarded.
- H transitions from D>O quickly; attacked fast breaks in waves; played an effective 8-9 man rotation.

Excited to see our SHDs respond after the past couple of defeats. Hopefully, the Christmas break re-energizes the team. Need a quick start and consistent play for 2 halves to go home victorious.

In addition to the Ivy League Network stream, the game is broadcast on tv via NESN (New England Sports Network - home of the Boston Red Sox) Channel 628 on Direct TV.

For those attending, temps should in the 40s with a chance of rain - maybe mixed precipitation early. See you next Thursday at the Pre-game event and/or game!
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Great evening! The parents of a recent baseball player grad and I helped welcome/host the team over dinner tonight. First trip to the Boston area for the guys. (Lawdog, you and our fellow hoopster alum highlighted a great way to support/get to know the Terriers while on the road. Thanks for sharing the team dinner idea!)

We have a fantastic bunch of student-athletes. Very polite and most appreciative of the dinner; however, can they eat! Even the master chef was amazed. :)

Looking forward to the pregame event; 23 have registered. Afternoon weather should be sunny with temps in the 40s.

Beat the Crimson!
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks for doing that WCNHD, I know they appreciate it. Hope our guys will play hard and play well, and who knows.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 am

WoCo NH1 Dude wrote:Great evening! The parents of a recent baseball player grad and I helped welcome/host the team over dinner tonight. First trip to the Boston area for the guys. (Lawdog, you and our fellow hoopster alum highlighted a great way to support/get to know the Terriers while on the road. Thanks for sharing the team dinner idea!)

We have a fantastic bunch of student-athletes. Very polite and most appreciative of the dinner; however, can they eat! Even the master chef was amazed. :)

Looking forward to the pregame event; 23 have registered. Afternoon weather should be sunny with temps in the 40s.

Beat the Crimson!

Love to hear this!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:34 am

Sounds like a great night. I know they are very appreciative for the Boston welcome. Today will be a tough test. The Ivy League is really stacked this year-probably their best yet. We will play 2 of the 3 best on their home floors. Personally I hope there is a fire under their feet that hasn't been there so far. We won't beat anyone by just showing up.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Getting blown out again. Down 17 with 4 mins left. Same old song.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:10 pm

They shot 64%, including 57 % from 3-point line. What is going on?

WCNHD, how was your visit?
http://woffordterriers.com/boxscore.asp ... ll&id=3234
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:23 pm

Apparently both Pegram and Cam Jackson were out, and Jackson may be out a long time. In addition, Justin Gordon got into early foul trouble again, and we had no defense against their inside game. Our shooters couldn't hit from the outside and that was it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:56 pm

What is wrong with Jackson and Pegram? We open SoCon soon (i.e., vs. UNCG in less than 48 hours)..
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 am

We are S-O-F-T
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Happy New Year!

Great time with alums and families yesterday. Guests from all over the country - Texas (nice to see FGS44), Illinois, Florida, New England and Carolinas. A tip of the hat to Ryan Sewell's dad who drove from Illinois and was driving to S'burg for tomorrow's tilt.

The Terriers were focused and collapsing defensively on H's #4 (Zena Edosomwan - top contender for All Ivy League - POY?) in first half. Unfortunately, we missed some open looks or had tough turnovers. In 2H, Crimson moved the ball back out effectively from the post and nailed several wide open 3s. H's front-line was bigger, quick to rebound and solid at starting fast-break opps. Kudos to CJ who played 1 of his best games; same for Ryan. With no Matt or Cam off the bench, Trevor and Zach played meaningful minutes...can only help us in the weeks ahead.

The SoCon campaign starts tomorrow. Let's hope the team's battles the past few months gives them the confidence, fortitude, etc. to compete/win/position themselves for another run to the SoCon championship. A victory over UNCG will be a HUGE first step.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby fgs44 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Boston is a city that I enjoy visiting, and so when I saw the schedule, we decided that would be a great New Year's trip--And it was, except for watching the Terriers lose--Harvard's gym is not exactly a showpiece--It may well be one of the most uncomfortable gyms I have ever been in, or maybe I am feeling my age compounded by our misfortune--It was great meeting some people that were Wofford fans--That NH Dude and I had a nice conversation about some old Wofford guys I played with back in the old days---

I do not know the exact reasons behind our struggles this year, but the kind of defense we are playing does not look like what we have historically seen--On occasion we played well, but sometimes it looked as if our guys were expecting someone else to make a play--We definitely missed our two big guys out with injuries, but CJ Neumann played with great effort and was effective, but needed more help--Karl Cochran and Lee Skinner both were great players, but I think they were both exceptional leaders by deed and that "will to win" that spreads amongst the team as a whole--Somebody, or some guys, are going to have to step up--We have talent, and we have guys that want to win, but we need someone to provide that "it" factor that can lift a whole team to be greater than the sum of its parts--Something that we have seen before is a Wofford basketball team that comes together as the season progresses--The real challenge lies before us--I am optimistic that Coach and his "band of brothers" will get this team focused and responding to the challenge
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball