Coastal Carolina

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Coastal Carolina

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:08 pm

L 71-63
Tale of 2 games: CC going away in 1st half. Terriers fought back and got to within 3 with about a minute left. Could not convert key shots and they hit enough free throws to win.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Re: Coastal Carolina

Postby Hobo on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:15 pm

I tuned in with 6 minutes left. Fletcher had a good look at a three to tie it up late, but couldn't hit it. Otherwise, what WocoNHDude ^^^ said
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 pm

We can't put 2 halfs together and we can't close. 2 things championship teams do well.
They shot 85% from floor in first half. Good defensive teams don't let that happen.
We have no real offensive leader/go to player except Magee and when Collins appears sporadically. Allen is essentially nonexistent. Gordon, inconsistent.
Middle of the pack SoCon team, at best; even with the predicted/hopeful improvement. Not even in the same ballpark as our championship teams. Not tough/physical enough.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Post game comments that Todd tweeted:

Eric Garcia - "CC made uncontested shots; our defense was bad...That’s on us."

Coach Young's assessment of 1st half defense, "Putrid." CC was 17-for-20 shooting in first half.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby youngterrier on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:18 am

I'm disappointed in how the season's gone so far, with that said we usually start playing our best ball in January. Hopefully that'll happen this year.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:50 am

Our game is being played outside in, instead of inside out. We are turning Fletcher into a slasher instead of a shooter, and our bigs are not working for position. On defense we don't yet have the guts and desire it takes to be good. Chatty and ETSU are going to wear us out if we don't get better.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 pm

It must start with the D. Giving up 85% in a half must be a record ... a shameful one.
Last edited by lawdog on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby billkelly57 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:36 pm

I am looking for a lot of improvement these next two games and thru January. They have a lot of time to work on individual things during interim that will help the team as a whole. This team needs to establish an identity of who they are and how they are going to be thought of. Leadership will have to come forward and show the young guys how it is done the Wofford way.
Defense starts it off and all of the good teams we have had lately led with defense.
Let's not abandon ship yet. Even if we start slow in the SoCon, it is how we are playing at the end of the year. Last years team spoiled us with their play all year long. It takes a while for the team to establish their mindset.
I think the coaching staff will have them playing a lot better come Jan Feb.
billkelly57
Junior Terrier

Postby ShortHairedDog on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:01 am

Defensively it comes down to stopping penetration into the lane. We are not able to able to stop that at this point. Clemson's first two or three baskets were dunks...in a half court set. If we stop that, I think everything else will fall into place defensively. I missed the first half of the game Monday night, but I heard that Coastal could not miss. I am sure better defense would have helped with that.

Offensively, we are just out of sync. Sometimes it looks like guys are playing hot potato and have no intention of doing anything productive with the ball. A lot of timidness out there. Liked seeing Fletcher going to the basket in the second half. Adds to his game. This team will definitely improve through the season. Talent is there. Need to find confidence and an on the court leader.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

I agree on all points. The dribble drive drawing help then dish is killing us. And we need an emotional leader.
The loss of 5 secs on the shot clock is hurting us some too I think. Just shortens the time to get us into and running our sets and lessens the time the D has to defend our screens.
Was good to see Brooks contribute v CCU. Need him assert himself offensively off the dribble. Collins needs to step up more and Allen really really needs to step up although I wonder if his foot/ankle issue is hampering him still.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball