Maryland Eastern Shore game

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Maryland Eastern Shore game

Postby Hobo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Terriers have some room for improvement, but did a great job of managing the game down the stretch without getting nervous.
Collins had another good game.
Gordon was tough inside and had a highlight reel dunk down the stretch.
Neumann was tough as nails with 9 rebounds, 2 or three charges taken and a bunch of sweat underneath.
Pegram still appears to be ahead of schedule.
Magee was a little wild here and there but ended up in double figures.
Garcia was steady as ever and also added 14 points.
Jaylan had a bad game shooting but will be fine.

Team was good from the free throw line too, which was nice to see.

I am out of time for a wedding, but it looked like a nice crowd.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Maryland Eastern Shore game

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:04 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 pm

It was a good crowd- full on the student's side and about half full on the other side. They were loud and active. UMES was a good team to play; very athletic and had some fine players. I know it's early, but so far our most improved is definitely Justin Gordon in many ways. He is taking shots from the outside which makes his man play him and frees up the lane. His athleticism is scary at times. That last back door cut was awesome, and rocked the place. Agree that the two freshmen are way ahead of anything we could dream of... I never tire of watching CJ Neumann grind it out on both ends; a true short haired dog. Fletcher McGee drove the lane a few times, something we really need out of our guards. Don't look now guys, but he is three for three in double digit scoring. Spencer is the leader, and he appears to do it with his play. EG is EG- steady and a much better ball handler than in the first two years. Nothing flashy, but really solid. Great teams need a blend of lots of things and I think this one has it. The seniors have certainly learned leadership from the classes before them. There's an element on this team that I believe is special. Cam Jackson is a real personality, and you can see it with him looking natty on the bench in a suit and wearing his glasses. I think he has a needle that he loves to use on the other guys, and he must be the jester of the crowd. When he comes back look out.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 am

Don't disagree but the half-empty take is we are not nearly as good defensively as we were last year. The losses of Cochran and Skinner go way beyond point production. We really miss that outside lock down defender in Karl plus his rebounding. And skinner was an expert post defender. Neumann and Gordon need to get better on that front.
Garcia has a lot on him this year: steady the ship and knock down shots. When he can do those, we are pretty tough to beat because teams don't respect him and see him as a weak link.
Allen needs to step up. His hooting will be fine but his D and overall game needs to get a notch better. Brooks looks lost. More so than last year. Defensively and offensively. I am scared to death what would happen without Garcia. His ball handling is not good. Magee is pushing those guys for time and rightly so. Love hm already. Scrappy and a scorer's mentality. Needs to get better defensively but he will be something for us. Pegram continues to impress. There was about a 3 minute stretch yesterday when he owned the court and changes the game. He is a force. When he fills out and gets stronger in his upper body, look out. Never thought we would have a 6'10-11 guy who could really play (Boulder - as Bones McKinney used to say, "If he had a longer neck, he'd be a 7-foota.")
There is so much room for improvement. We don't handle the press well enough. First 3 games have shown that. We were posed to run them out yesterday in first half and they threw he press on us and things got ragged. We didn't handle it well.
UMES was a very quality team. So athletic and physical and their bigs were very impressive. Reminded me of Mercer or ETSU. Well coached. They looked to me to be of tourney quality. Good win for sure.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:54 am

I agree with the evaluation of the defense. We played better in the second half. I think part of the reason we played so poorly in the first half is because Gordon and Allen has 2 fouls early and had to sit for most of the latter portion of the first half. Our defense sets up our offense, especially against teams that try to air it out and press. Either we weren't defending the three well or they were just shooting it spectacularly; either way, that's not a recipe for success in our game philosophy. I personally don't expect to ever beat any team, regardless of how good they are, by more than 15 or so, unless we're having a spectacular night shooting and an above average defensive performance. We keep people below 60, while trying to score 70; that's our "lucky range"

Also, I don't think anyone expects us to be at the level we were last year when we were winning a socon championship, at least not yet. I feel like 25% of basketball, in terms of team success, is about chemistry. Last year, it was kind of easy to come out of the gate firing because of all of the returning talent and chemistry we had coming back. I feel like we're just as talented as we were last year, but there's more new faces, and we're still trying to find our rhythm consistently.

We generally don't start playing our absolute best until January, but if we can crank out some wins before then, we'll be in good shape. There's no game on the schedule left that we shouldn't be competitive in.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:37 am

Agree with lots of YT and Ruckus posts. We have the most talent we have ever put on the floor-just need to get the chemistry right. This may not belong in this thread, but I hope everyone saw what the other Socon teams did over the weekend. Ga, Ga Tech and Illinois were all beaten by SoCon teams. So far the league is showing as REALLY strong. There may be four or five teams near the same level, with Chatty, Furman, ETSU, Mercer and Wofford (not sure about Sammy and WCU) right there. Personally I would love to see the conference RPI keep rising, as it would give the SoCon a shot at more than one NCAA Tourney team. A rising tide will float all boats, and every team in the conference will benefit from the exposure and $ that follow. Is the first Mike Young show tonight?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 pm

boulder3m wrote: Is the first Mike Young show tonight?

First one is Dec 7 according to Hauser, and I reckon he would know.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball