Furples 11-21

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Furples 11-21

Postby gofurman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks - you guys are better fans than most opposing teams. That's why I still post here despite our Rivalry !

No secret - from the local news " TV reports that Hannon has another concussion and will not play Saturday. "

So, like I said - and I would say this whether its Wofford or Furman.. a starter or a walk-on... I just hope the best for the young man . Concussions are nothing to toy with. If he can play next year for us great !@ If not, I just hope his family and the Dr's make the right choice for the young man going forward. If he needs to stop playing football then I hope that is what happens, regardless of what that does to my beloved Paladins. Real life trumps football - even in the South ! :D

You guys are good mature fans and I am sure would say the same about both any player of your own or even a rival QB ! I have no doubt about that.
(Unlike some places in the bigger leagues where I read the internet and they wish hurt upon other teams.. )
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:55 pm

If you look back to last season at the drubbing we got from the Furples with Blazekowski at QB, they should be gnawing at the bit for him to get us again. As I recall he was 15 for 15 passing, and had over 100 yds rushing. Kinda like a one-man-gang. Maybe they won't look at the pass defense film from last week against Sammy........ouch! I certainly hope the Terriers get their collective minds straight, and try mightily to win this last game........we really need SOMETHING positive here at the end!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:51 am

Yeah Blaze went 15-15 last year v Wofford. But that was at home. The home team often wins this. Home team has won last 7 games !
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:40 am

Getting ready for the trip down. First basketball and then football. Great day for Wofford sports.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 am

I guess the good news this week is Will Gay is coming back for a 5th year. Looks like Evan is too. And Sanders.
We lose Smith, Irwin, Francis, Christian, Nelson, Chamberlain, Youngblood, Massey, Mueller, Weimer, Bragg on O.
Dolinak, Anderson, Grimes, Williams, Michaelson, Bruggeworth, Speller, Reamer, Bove on D.
Other than Speller, Michaelson, Anderson, Mueller, Irwin and Francis, that's not a lot of minutes lost. Depth at CB is a concern though.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:04 am

Ruckus, Boulder, et al-

Pull us thru today in the BenJo and Gibbs!
Tip of the hat to the seniors on the football team. =D> =D> Time to close this challenging season with a big win over the Greenvillians.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:36 am

Football on regional tv today ... ASN. Good weather expected. Basketball on SoCon Digital Network.

Wish EJ had requested fifth year, but understand why he did not.
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201511 ... ay-goodbye
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Super nice win over da Furples...big, big resolve by the offense to seal the deal on the last drive. So sweet to see the final TD run!

Thanks, again, to the seniors.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 pm

How sweet it is!
I hate to say this but I'll take mediocre seasons as long as we beat Furple.
Kudos to the team who came out and defended their pride because nothing else was on the line today. Just pride. They got it done. Would have been too easy to mail it in.
Can't believe FU played us most of second half in 4 man front. Thanks to their coaches.
Not sure how we get over the hurdle of mediocrity but I think better players make better plays.
McAfee gave a us a glimpse into our future today. Not sure where he has been all year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Congrats. SERIOUSLY.

We are horrible. HORRIBLE. That's our worst rushing team in 40 years! Really. Also Worst in SoCon in offense yardage gained FOUR consecutive years now. How we won the SoCon like that in 2013 is a testament to turnovers and defense I guess? WORST IN SocOn offense scoring 3 of past 4 years. What you saw out there today was our highest scoring in a SoCon game all season. Lol. :roll:

I suspect offensive changes in the off season. We can't run or stop the run. We can pass some. And stop the pass. But that only gets you so far in the SoCon. Our offense needs new blood. Four consecutive years with worst yardage in the conference? Sheesh
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Ruckus- Agree on McAfee. He did a lot of things well. Even in on a couple of special teams tackles. He's quick and shifty. It was startling how few of our 440 yards came from the starters at the beginning of the year! Other than Lo... Very proud of the way our guys pulled together and played for the seniors on this team. To see them lined up on the field made us realize how many are hurt and not dressed. The good news is the number of young guys who got playing time this year who wouldn't have otherwise played much. Our recruiting should be specific. We need a STUD QB in this class. We also need to get some great defensive backs who can play man defense and have the confidence to play on the line of scrimmage. Somewhere in the season stat sheets will be a list of all the ball carriers for the year. It will be near 20, I would think. Our interior linemen on both sides really stepped up when they had to...next man up. Lots of coaching head scratching needs to be done in the off-season-on both sides of the ball.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Was pleased to see us play fairly consistently for an entire game. We did not pass it much but the two quick wide passes we completed made them respect that possibility all day on defense. Our downfield blocking was mediocre most of the day ... we really need to learn how to always get a solid piece of a guy on a downfield block; it would have really helped on occasion today. Jacks played super. We tackled better than last week.

Windham, Nelson and McAfee were stout.
http://woffordterriers.com/news/2015/11 ... 52241.aspx
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 am

Ruckus wrote:How sweet it is!
I hate to say this but I'll take mediocre seasons as long as we beat Furple.
Kudos to the team who came out and defended their pride because nothing else was on the line today. Just pride. They got it done. Would have been too easy to mail it in.
Can't believe FU played us most of second half in 4 man front. Thanks to their coaches.
Not sure how we get over the hurdle of mediocrity but I think better players make better plays.
McAfee gave a us a glimpse into our future today. Not sure where he has been all year.

Life is better when we beat Purple.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:19 am

My biggest disappointment last night was poor attendance. The weather was unfavorable, but good weather was predicted. It is almost like a general malaise has fallen over the fan base.

Next year, we need to rethink our scheduling of home games. 3:30 in late November is too late, it gets dark and cold early. This may have been done for television, but I would rather have full stands and no TV.

Whether due to climate change or cyclical weather patterns, night-time weather in September has been quite bad the last few years, and maybe those games should be moved up as well, although heat may be an issue.

I believe Mike Ayers has a good number of seasons left in him, and will buy next year's season tickets as soon as they are available; but, if I hear a single coach at the end of Spring Practice state that we have 3 QB's capable of running the system and that no-one stands out, I will join the angry mob screaming for blood (or at least be very disappointed).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 am

Didn't get to watch yesterdays game (family business), but just delighted to hear of a Terriers victory! Glad that the team closed on a winning note. Congrats to everyone involved. Does anyone know a medium to watch a replay?

Now, the coaching staff needs to get out there and fill some team needs in the recruiting arena. Again, "way to go Terriers."

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football