Furples 11-21

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Furples 11-21

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:58 am

Apparently this week Furman lost a close one to Mercer, coming alive, again, from a 20-0 first half deficit, then losing at the end; they had something like 35 yards of offense in the first half. We are both 4-6. We need to step it up and finish on a winning note. No doubt they feel the same way. We need to play four quarters of good football, and protect our home ground.

Game will be televised on ASN.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Furples 11-21

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Yup. Down 20-0 or so. Not a score for us in first half at all. Came storming back in second half w three TDs and then had a celebration penalty called (ridiculous ) that was assessed on XP. We then missed the xp and went to OT. stunk. That's our clutch FG kicker who hit a 55 yard FG to beat Central Florida and hit key FGs vs VMI and Samford. Oh well. We prob need to lose to get rid of a coach?? Who knows. But If you want to see one (really, ONE) interesting minute of football go to ESPN3 and watch the last one minute of our regulation.

I'll give you facts on us here early in game week

Hannon had to leave game a possible concussion w one minute left. You may get to face Blaze instead which is better for you as Blaze (the QB you faced last year) is not quite as good a pure pocket passer. They wouldn't let Hannon come back. I Suspect Hannon isn't available which stinks for us. We had everyone preparing for two different QBs.

Our D is way better than our O. But we can't stop the run. We are good v the pass. So that's worthless vs you Guys. Bad matchup there for us. You guys could run all over us. Watch the overtime 3 runs of Mercer. 10 yards per rush. Instant TD. we had no answer. Our linebackers are great (Magwood will probably get a pro day try out) and DBs are super but we are getting beat on the LOS. That's death vs the option

On the other hand we have always defended the option well as Fowler and Co have seen it so much.

On O we are H O R R I B L E

For the fourth year in a row we are last in offense yards in SoCon. FOURTH yr in a row. I'll post numbers in a minute. You guys complain about your O? you are way better than us! Not poor mouthing. I'll show numbers.
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Vs Mercer yesterday (this should encourage you !!!!!!) -

Mercer 286 yards rushing.. on 48 carries for a SIX YARD AVERAGE. Sh*t...
Furman 60 yards rushing ... on 26 carries for a TWO YARD AVERAGE Sh*t

Fowler does believe in running and stopping the run but right now we cant do it. One problem may be both our starting safeties are out - Richard Hayes and Trey Robinson. That is killing us... no telling how much they help on run support?

Granted we got way behind so we went to the air (and tied the game in the last minute) but you get my point. Again, I am not poor mouthing. In the end its about scoring - however, you do it. Ill get those numbers and post them here.

Later in the week we can trash talk, I thought maybe until Wednesday we could trade a little information.

Been a bad year for both teams. Very Very similar year for our teams - I think both are 4-6.. both are bad on offense and predictable on offense. Eerily similar comments on both internet boards. The Big Difference is our defenses. We can stop the pass and not the run. You can stop the run and not the pass - I think??? It could be high scoring when we play. You could run up and down the field on us. I can only hope our recvrs have a good day.

To my point about our Pass D being good - Mercer had 13 completions in 21 attempts for a whopping 88 yards through the air.. 2 TDs and one pick. 21 attempts for 88 yards? We have good corners.

We were 16/34 passing for 225 yards two TDs and one pick that ended the game in OT.
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:45 pm

From ESPN in order of ranking . Updated through Nov 10 - so this is not counting games on 11/14... EXCEPT FOR WOFFORD AND FURMAN. Everyone else is just through Nov 10. But I did update Woff and Furman

And you guys think your offense is bad???????? See below. We are 9 points below you and 4 points worse than the 7th worst team !!! Err.. That's huge.

Offense points scored per game In SoCon Games only
Citadel. 34
Sammy. 30
Wcu. 29
Chatt. 28
Wofford. 25
Mercer. 22
VMI. 20
Furman. 16

Defense points allowed per game In SoCon Games only
Chatt. 16
Citadel. 16
Mercer. 24
WCU. 26
Woff. 29
Furman. 30
Sammy. 33
VMI. 34
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Anyway, hit me back with what's up w the Terriers - good and bad.. I heard E Jacks was hurt and it doesn't look like he is throwing well? But is he running the option pretty well now? I always thought he was pretty dang talented. Any injuries on your side that are to key players? What is your best strength on offense and your best strength on defense? Weakness? ( I read that the pass D isn't real hot?)

We can smack talk later in the week. :D
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:30 pm

To put it gently, we have not played to our potential and have been hampered by a few key losses, namely our only pre-season All SoCon selections. My feeling is that the kids are still giving the effort, but may not be enamoured by the fact that they are not being put in situations to allow them to succeed.

On offense, when in doubt, our go-to play is to call is still the FB dive for no gain...you know, to really catch the other side off guard with something they have not seen. We really like to go to this play to keep our 3 & out momentum. We throw the ball only when we are in complete panic mode, and not with a ton of success then, due largely to not being able to pass block. We've had some success running the TO, but appear not to experience that too often.

On defense, our preference is to play our DB's 10-15 yards off of receivers...you know, to keep the play in front of them. I was not a math major at Wofford, but have realized that translates into automatic 1st downs and some Heisman-like numbers for any opposing QB who can throw it 10-15 yards to a wide open receiver.

On special teams, it's pretty vanilla, too. We will miss a few PAT's here & there even though our kicker is pretty good, and we will fair catch every punt.

Hopefully, we will send our seniors out with one more win this week, but the odds are not necessarily in our favor.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks! I would appreciate information from other Tdog fans.

You say you are missing most of your all SoCon guys?
Is Wahrby playing? Chamberlain? They are pretty good OL in my recollection

Lorenzo Long? Will Gay? Long is good.

EJ Speller on DL? What bout Morris and/or Michaelson at LB ?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:20 pm

gf thanks for your post and making us feel good but... anyway Warhby is playing but Speller has been out all year except for the first half of the Clem game. Chamberlin has been in and out and has been out more than in. Michaelson has also been hurt but has played well just the same. He deserves a lot of credit for playing injured. Morris has not played at all. Not sure of his injury. Long has played all year and has had a good year while Gay was having a good year but was hurt a few games back and has been out ever since. Also Ray Smith was out a few games but played against Sammy. I think that Jacks has been hurt but has played anyway. We are banged up for sure. But the Terriers continue to give it their best.
Loyalterrier

Postby gofurman on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:40 am

First, thank you Tdog and loyal Terrier for that information. That's great stuff as it helps me watch match ups. I thought I heard Speller was out in the Clemson game. That stinks.

Anyone else w injury info is appreciated. I Don't mean HIPAA stuff :D Just if someone is playing. I read that Jacks seems hurt and so throwing has been extra difficult.

Otherwise, what are you all doing best and/or worst? So is it the same pass D? Like I posted our run D has been hurting. You should love that. Our pass rush is bad. Bad. The LBs and DBs are good but you guys don't pass so your O vs our D favors you. I suspect we will have to throw vs your D both because your pass D is not as good as your run D (?) and our run O is not working. At times we can pass well. It COULd be moderately high scoring because neither D is set up to stop the opposing O. And that is funny for me to say considering we are averaging 16 points A game. LOL. I can only hope it's high scoring ...
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

GF- What's the deal with Hannon? I thought he would be all world, but this year it seems that he hasn't played that much, and sometimes his stats were pretty bad. Last year I felt that had he been our QB we would have won lots more games. Now we won't see him again this year. I know he is hurt now, but has he been hurt all year?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:59 pm

He got hurt twice this year I think. Once which prevented him from playing v Samford and then again this week w one minute left in the game. The first time, Blaze led us to a comeback victory down 17-0 , we won 20-17 against Samford. I suspect Hannon had a 2nd concussion this past week at the very end of game - which concerns me as they are so careful that can end a career. He is a junior. Would hate to see that. But I really doubt he plays this week vs you guys. Hopefully he is fine for next year.

Again I think we see Blaze this week by of Hannons injury. Blaze is The dual threat qb. But To your point of Hannon "all world" skills, he is really good but I think the 'regression' has been due to our OL poor pass blocking and having no running game. Put those together and every QB is going to look bad. We finally started blocking well in the second half v Mercer and voilà - the old Hannon of Socon championship returns !! Down 20-0 we come roaring back. We have no running game or consistent good blocking so that's also why you have seen Blaze play some. When you can't hold the DL off your QB w a running game it's often better to have a rollout or running QB so there is an extra running threat.

Hopefully that helps. I do hope Hannon is healthy long term.

Anything else on the terriers? Are you all good at stopping the run??

Very Very Promising for you is our 2 SoCon wins are versus passing teams - Samford and VMI. We got slaughtered by strong running games of Citadel and even Mercer. Ugh
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:35 am

Go Furman, not much help other than to say we are not really good at anything right now other than getting injured, missing PATs, letting the other team score more points. Hey but if you were judged by how many times a season you can run the fullback dive we would be ranked #1 in the nation.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 am

Game Notes. http://woffordterriers.com/documents/20 ... tes_15.pdf

Not sure that the numbers are all that meaningful at this point. Both teams have been up and down, and neither is hot right now. I want our guys to give maximum effort, for one another, and execute as well as possible, and if we do I like our chances.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Hopefully our defense steps up this week. We haven't given up many long balls this year, but were incapable of stopping Samford. If the bend and don't break defense continues to break, maybe we should let the players play more aggressively.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:48 pm

At a minimum we need to tackle better after the catch.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football