BYE WEEK DISCUSSION---Projecting Offense Returners Discussio

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: BYE WEEK DISCUSSION---Projecting Offense Returners Discu

Postby Ruckus on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 am

Well I guess technically I was right: we got Devin.
But completely wrong on where he would play for us.
Just further proof that I have no access to the Coaches' ouji board or roulette wheel.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Could it be that since we have two 2016 Safeties committed, the staff is thinking of Watson as a QB option? With so many FR and Soph currently on roster at the S position, it would seem only logical.

Anyone heard or seen anything regarding the Dorian Lindsey kid? With us losing 4 WR's to graduation that has to be the position of need on offense
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Ruck,

The only logical explanation if EJ returns is that he feels like he can be part of something special. He has known very little team success from HS through his tenure at Wofford. He, like the rest of us, may be hopeful that next year could be a special year for our team and him personally as a player. But what I think he has realized this year is that it will not be handed to him. He will have to work for it. If he is willing to make that commitment every day...then he could have one of the more memorable seasons as a Wofford Qb/leader of our team. I, personally, am hopeful that he will return because it would be a shame for someone to have sacrificed his body for our program like he has and not bear the fruits that can go along with that. I think he deserves that reward for the time and work that he has put in. But ultimately, as stated before, the decision is his and his alone.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierbobII on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Is Ellis Pace effectively out of the picture? Some back story there?
TerrierbobII
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Atldog7 wrote:Ruck,

The only logical explanation if EJ returns is that he feels like he can be part of something special. He has known very little team success from HS through his tenure at Wofford. He, like the rest of us, may be hopeful that next year could be a special year for our team and him personally as a player. But what I think he has realized this year is that it will not be handed to him. He will have to work for it. If he is willing to make that commitment every day...then he could have one of the more memorable seasons as a Wofford Qb/leader of our team. I, personally, am hopeful that he will return because it would be a shame for someone to have sacrificed his body for our program like he has and not bear the fruits that can go along with that. I think he deserves that reward for the time and work that he has put in. But ultimately, as stated before, the decision is his and his alone.

+1. Well said.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:10 pm

The only thing I've heard about Pace, was what a student that knows him well told us, who happened to sit with us at a game a few weeks ago, that perhaps at that time anyway, the football hadn't quite caught up to the speed. I haven't asked anyone directly connected to the team about him though.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:33 pm

My only 2 cents about EJ is, I sure hope he decides to come back. He, my son, and a few others from that class that redshirted as freshman are going to be around for their 5th year, and I hope they finish together. EJ was literally the first incoming freshman I met at orientation 4 years ago, and I instantly thought, what a great young man. He gives everything he has on the field. I have no idea what the issue has been this year, I do not want to speculate, because it would only be speculation, I just hope whatever it is, it won't keep him from returning. His family and my family make almost every game and I have really enjoyed seeing them and getting to know them, they are great people and I'm happy my son has spent this time with EJ as his team and classmate.

I'm sure this is not the case with EJ, so I am not making this statement in reference to him in any way, but remember guys have to be invited back for their 5th years, it's not always their decision. They are always told early so that they can make sure they graduate within a certain timeframe.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't recall Jacks ever being "handed" a starting job at any point in the last 3 years. In fact, I recall his first full season many of us being frustrated he was not given more of an opportunity. I think his first start was PC in the 3rd or 4th game where he played well and continued to do so the rest of the season (anyone remember the Samford game in '13 where he was the one of the only few offensive players who was making people miss?) Last year he earned the job coming out of the spring and played very well until he got hurt at WCU. This year....well, we all can see he wasn't handed anything, so much so many wonder if there is a negative bias against him. I cannot imagine any scenario where he would expect a starting job at any point in his career at Wofford.
Further, I don't know of any player at Wofford being "handed" playing time without earning it with hard work and effort, even EB played sparingly as a freshman.
So any implication that Jacks expected a starting role without first earning it is not true or based on fact. He is more than clear on that front as anybody, I would imagine.
I would hope he sees the opportunity to be a part of something special and come back to go out wit the rest of his class. I also hope our coaches recognize that we need Jacks to come back to be successful.i honestly believe that WL and MA are trying to fit our QBs' strengths with what our game plan happens to be game to game. I am not saying I agree with that approach or agreeing with waiting until game day to make that call but I hope that's what they are doing.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:55 am

I think adding to those inconsistencies in decisions with the QB are more complex than simply a total lack of faith or inconsistent practice or whatever has been said. Injuries has also played a major factor in the use of EJ. HE has played injured all season, and has played admirably in doing do, but that very fact has also played into the staff spelling him here and there, or starting other QB's and using him as more of a closer than a starter if you will. Not that I totally agree with that but that seams very plausible to me as much as in conjunction with game to game planning strategically the best fit at the helm. IMO.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Furthermore I respect these young men beyond measure. I know that we have lost a ton of players to injury, and that has had a major impact on our results this season, but we have had double the amount of those players playing through injury, some of the major variety, trying to stay on the field for their brothers and program. Evan is included in that group. These young men are playing with breaks, tears, sprains and strains. I know mine has played with something all season and this BYE week was needed by a lot.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Ruck,

In no way was I implying that he hasn't worked for the job so far in his career, but something just doesn't add up. It is painfully obvious to all of us that he is the best man for the job and yet that has merited 3 starts and 1 game he essentially didn't play at all. If what 19 said is true and that he has been nursing injuries all year then that may answer some of it. But why not start him and the spell him with one of the other two guys as the game goes on? I'm not sure I buy it. There has to be something else at work here (Coaches trying to send a message, personality conflict...I don't know). Whatever it is, it has been very poorly managed in my opinion. The only other thought is that he is nursing a bigger injury than we know and they are trying to get him through the season. If that is the case, then he doesn't act like it at times in games when he initiates contact on some of his runs. I can't say more than that and it is all pure speculation but as we have all said throughout this very frustrating season...it just doesn't make sense.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:01 pm

ATLDog what you said is exactly what many of us have been saying and have been frustrated with all season. The revolving door at starting QB has left us all perplexed including our radio guys who have made some subtle references to it during their broadcast and they watch the program as closely as anyone. They weren't being critical but were as puzzled as the rest of us. We all can't make sense out of it and coupled with a poor season (injuries notwithstanding) this has led to a lot of frustration. Heck, poor old '94 even stopped posting because his frustrations rubbed some people the wrong way. From the very first snap of the season, things have just seemed off this year. I just hope that next season we won't have to go through this QB carousel all over again. I don't mind two QBs or spelling a guy when he's banged up or needs a breather but successful teams have an offensive leader. We have one but for whatever reason he has spent WAY too much time on the sidelines. All that said, hope the guys heal up before Samford comes to town. Maybe we can put it all together when the Purple Pukes show up and pay them back for last year.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football