FB

LORENZO LONG SR.
CHASE NELSON JR.
ANDRE STODDARD SO.

RB/HB

NICK COLVIN SR.
HUNTER WINDHAM JR.
CHRIS MARTIN JR.
WILL GAY SR. ???? (MEDICAL REDSHIRT POSSIBILITY)

WR

RJ TAYLOR JR.
BRYCE MOTES JR.
COLE CLEARY SO.
ARMANI HELLEGAR SO.

TIGHT END

CHANDLER GOUGER JR.

OL

ANTON WAHRBY SR.
BRADLEY WAY SR.
DEQUAN MILLER SR.
TYE YOUNGBLOOD SR.
ROBERT MASSEY SR.
MIKE JONES JR.
ROO DANIELS JR.
CHUCK ROUSE JR.
JUSTIN LOTT JR.
ROSS DEMMEL SO.
NICK TAYLOR SO.
JARED JACON DUFFY SO.

KEY LOSSES

MIKE WEIMER QB/WR
TJ CHAMBERLIN OL
WILL IRWIN WR
WADE FRANCIS WR
PAUL NELSON WR.
ZACH MUELLER TE
RAY SMITH RB
LOGAN CHRISTIAN WR
TAYLOR BRAGG TE.

Forecasting to next season, you have to be excited at the possibilities of what next season could be on the offensive side of the ball. From the initial looks of things we will be hit the most at the receiver and tight end positions. Although I think with RJ and Bryce Motes back at receiver we are in real good hands out there and will need for some younger guys to be able to provide depth at that position. Tight End will be a concern. But look across the board from the QB's to RB's to Receivers and where it matters the most, IN THE TRENCHES, we will return a very talented, experienced and season offensive group. I think Wofford has the opportunity with this personnel to be the best in the SoCon and one of the best nationally. We bring back a nucleus of young men that have been through the wars, and I think will be ready to take their rightful spot back atop the SoCon.

Feel free to add any omissions or mistakes.

This of course doesn't factor in any new blood or young talent that very well may surpass any of these men on the depth chart. But just from sight level, I get ultra excited at the roster. Can we avoid the dreaded injuries that have plagued the last 2 seasons, will we be efficient with the ball and value each and every possession.

Biggest concern for me are, can we be consistent with our use of the QB's, can we find a home run threat in the backfield to join consistent producers Colvin and Windham, and can we fill the void at Tight End??? Outside of that, I love the potential.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: BYE WEEK DISCUSSION---Projecting Offense Returners Discu

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

The key is for one QB to break out from the pack.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:22 pm

You might want to put questions marks beside Jacks. Will he come back for a 5th year? Maybe a separate thread should started to just discuss this issue.
RBs McAfee/Marshall, and WR Hill will factor in.
Those incoming F backs look really good too.
OL should be solid.
We REALLY need a playmaker at QB in this incoming class.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierTalk_Jordan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm

In no way have a talked with any of these guys about this, so don't read to much into it...

With that said, I think there's a decent chance that Jacks comes back. I think Will Gay will return, so long as the medical redshirt deal works out (it should). I think Youngblood and Massey will be gone, and a decent chance Way will go as well, especially if he's not a starter anymore (Roo Daniels has started the last several).
TerrierTalk_Jordan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Surely Jacks will come back. As LT stated, Jacks just played his best game for us; surely he is peaking and wants to be here to see how far to take this talented team.

Even though there is a lot of talent at OL, don't you think Basinger will make a meaningful contribution.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Someone please make the argument for Jacks coming back in the face of only starting 3 games this year (and hardly playing at all v Chatty) and clearly not having the coaches complete trust? Much less waiting on the game day pronouncements of what the Ouji board deigned. I am all ears....
We need help at OT next year. I think Basinger is an OG and Ralph is an OT.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm with you, Ruck. The way he has been treated this year by the coaches would make most guys leave. We have known what he can do, but the coaches keep wanting to play others. It may be an interesting scene to watch play out.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:06 am

The next 2 games will be telling. If EJ is benched after leading the team to a solid victory, I anticipate his lot is cast and likely will skip a 5th year. We've heard the coaches' comments about his inconsistency at practice; yet, his body of work shows the team flows offensively when he's at the controls. Puzzling for sure...(And no, I will not bore us with an Al Iverson "practice" rant.)

Evan was Brad Butler's biggest fan/supporter on the sidelines during the UTC game.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 am

I can understand if Jacks chooses not to return. I can understand if he chooses not to. It is his decision to make, and I really don't feel comfortable discussing it on an open board.

One problem Wofford faces is lack of any post-graduate programs (not that some of our SoCon mates offer much better). This means a fifth year player will take a semester of classes his 5th year and then wait out a semester before starting graduate school somewhere else. If a student doesn't plan on grad school, that is not an issue, but if he plans on post-graduate work, it can be a problem. For that reason, I will not begrudge any athlete who chooses not to return for a fifth year.

All that being said, we will be a better team next year with Jacks, but we will still be a good team with Butler and Goodson.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:00 am

Evan is a competitor. He knows he is not guaranteed anything (although many here have loved him since day one); he has had some key turnovers and consistency issues ... they all have. Our system puts a premium on avoiding those. But it is getting ironed out; they all have improved substantially. He is currently playing at his best. He will not be peevish; he will compete hard for the top spot, and he is now greatly experienced and well positioned to help this team realize its potential. Butler and Goodson show great promise too, and the competition should make all better. He will be excited about the possibilities next year, as we all are.

Second, Evan is a team guy; he generally respects his teammates and wants to see the team succeed, together, on its journey to try to be great next year. He will not let them down. He does not want to wonder the rest of his life "what if".

One guy deserves mention and respect here: Michael Weimer. In his career he has bailed us out more than once and played well in some big wins. Yet he has not gotten on the field at QB this year, as I recall, but has been on special teams, TE, etc. His optimism and team spirit have not waned. He came back a fifth year to help where he could, and has still played and rooted hard even after the injury and turnover bugs turned the team's great hopes into lesser ones.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

lawdog wrote:...

One guy deserves mention and respect here: Michael Weimer. In his career he has bailed us out more than once and played well in some big wins. Yet he has not gotten on the field at QB this year, as I recall, but has been on special teams, TE, etc. His optimism and team spirit have not waned. He came back a fifth year to help where he could, and has still played and rooted hard even after the injury and turnover bugs turned the team's great hopes into lesser ones.

=D> =D> =D>

He has done a lot for us. My gut feeling is that he never completely recovered from his knee injury, but has made big plays over the years. If he had been healthy, I believe we may have beaten the Bison 3 years ago.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:27 pm

EJ is probably the best athlete on the team. If there is a issue with him at QB why not use him at HB or WR. Game management and gametime decisions dont seem to be his issue. Whatever it is we need him for a SoCon title run. Our biggest issue with our O is game breaking threats. Long and Jacks are our 2 homerun hitters, but I dont thing the others are that caliber threats. WR seems to be the biggest concern. We have no height nor game breaking speed at those positions. Imagine our run game if defenses are forced to have their safeties helping guard a speed guy or tall possession WR. I personally wouldnt mind seing Devin Watson or Gbesse on the offensive side of the ball. QB and TE seem to be the next biggest need. With the loss of Mueller we are in need of that big body Back TE that can block and athletic enough to be a mismatch on a LB.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:00 pm

I would certainly call Jacks a home run threat but not Long. Nice quick feet, good balance and a strong runner at FB but doesn't possess that breakaway gear to be a home run threat. I would put Colvin in that category though. In fact I would put more of our WRs in that category than RBs: Motes, Taylor, Hennigar, Cleary and Hill, while not tall (although Cleary is about 6'1"-2") have the quicks speed to make people miss. We have as much, if not more, talent returning at WR than at RB IMO (although I really like those incoming F RBs). The most WR talent as a group, maybe ever.
I think Gouger at TE is a very effective receiver and is a big body at 6'4" 245 (I do think he needs to get a little harder at the point of attack as does Mueller). I would not say TE is a recruiting priority because we don't utilize the TE enough to make it a priority. The big kid from Wisconsin (Novotny 6'6" 255) should help some too.
However, QB should be our top priority in recruiting........EVERY YEAR. I have said before I would love to see Tillery or Watson at QB quite frankly.
Want to talk about offensive home run hitters? How about some more All-SoCon caliber OLs. Those have been in very short supply at WoCo in the last few years. There is a direct negative correlation to our offensive output and our lack of dominant linemen. Want to see an improved offense? Start dominating the LOS again.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Agreed for a predominantly run oriented offense we have a great mixture of talent at the WR position. RJ has had a nice season, and when it seemed he found a rhythm we stopped utilizing him. I know the underclassmen are capable but we rarely see Cleary or Hennigar used in the WR rotation.

As for QB, I am 100% sure that Devin Watson would be a great QB in our Offense. Have you seen this guys Sr Highlight film!
Last edited by WocoSix on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 am

Can't disagree. Navy wanted him as a QB. And Ruck noticed early on:

Re: Prospects 2015
Postby Ruckus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Speaking of surprises, I am going out on a limb here with an educated prognostication. This has some basis to it but not enough for me to be completely confident so take it for what it's worth.
I think our 2015 QB recruit and commit is Devin Watson from East Hall High in Gainsville Ga. 5'11" 190. Played in option system. Has lots of quicks and wiggle. Also a darn good DB.
http://t.co/1rm8BE0eDx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football