Richardson Indoor Stadium Ground Breaking

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Richardson Indoor Stadium Ground Breaking

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:06 pm

The architects for this arena have traveled around the country and looked at arenas from many similar size/bigger mid-major schools, learned from their mistakes (EG Furman), and are adapting accordingly.

As for the seating, Benjo sits the same amount, the problem is that there isn't that "surround sound" feel because there are only 2 sides to the seating. Moving the students to behind the goals is a very common thing. whenever you watch a team play on TV and they are throwing free throws, who do you see making a lot of noise, with fat heads, etc?

The Students.

Also the students are always behind the goals in Asheville when we've won Socon tourney titles.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:44 pm

Not that I like Duke -- can't stand them, really -- but they don't put their students only behind the basket. Seems like you'd want a student section as close to midcourt as possible...if you want a noisy place, at least.

At UNC, they've got a student section right behind one of the baskets. But when they played in the old Carmichael Auditorium, there were students all along one side of the court. It was much louder and more exciting than the Dean Dome (also because it was smaller, but the student seating factor, too).

I'm excited about the new arena. And it sounds like they are trying to create a great venue. I just think in terms of noise and atmosphere it isn't a bit logical to put the student seating behind the basket.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Another thing to consider about putting some of the students behind the baskets is it frees up additional seating along the sidelines/behind the bench that the athletic ticket office could then theoretically sell as these are better seats than the ones behind the basket. While this isn't a problem for us now (honestly, we only sell out perhaps 1 or 2 home games per season), if we continue to have success and get increasing support from Spartanburg residents, we will hopefully increase our average attendance over time and increase the revenue our basketball program generates.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Revenue is of course important. But I think that, in general, chasing revenue by creating more reserved seating in exchange for prime student seating is a mistake. At least if you want to have a great home court advantage and overall atmosphere for games.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01 am

Yep, I see why they did it but if I were still a student I would prefer the side seating setup we currently have. The nice thing about the student section along the baseline is it will be easier for students that want to stand and be loud. The way the setup is in the BenJo folks get mad when you stand up (in the student section no less!) because they can't see. Hopefully these sections along the baseline give out more vocal students the opportunity to cheer on the Terriers without ruffling the feathers of those who prefer to sit.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball