Chatty game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Chatty game thread

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I was wondering how long it would take before 94 tossed his hand grenade. That should do it.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Take it easy 94...

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:56 pm

I know there are many on here who find criticism with the play calling. I know many who dislike the FB dive on 3rd and long. I know many may question lots of the decision making of our offensive coaches (myself included).
But I believe we have more reason to fault our execution and inconsistency for our troubles than anything else. A few plays here and there and things look much different. For example, Jacks was within a hair of breaking a big one Saturday when he came in. Or if we don't fumble but one snap Saturday things might have looked different.
Like 65, It really bothers me our players are more than willing to openly criticize our coaches in public to a seeming stranger. That spells trouble. Not that players haven't criticized or questioned our coaches before but to be open about it is whole different issue. They better get a handle on it.....quickly.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Any word on what hats they were wearing at the street party? :D
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby tdogjaw on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:21 am

:lol:
tdogjaw
Terrier Pup

Postby walliver on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:06 am

Ruckus wrote:I know there are many on here who find criticism with the play calling. I know many who dislike the FB dive on 3rd and long. I know many may question lots of the decision making of our offensive coaches (myself included).
But I believe we have more reason to fault our execution and inconsistency for our troubles than anything else. A few plays here and there and things look much different. For example, Jacks was within a hair of breaking a big one Saturday when he came in. Or if we don't fumble but one snap Saturday things might have looked different.
Like 65, It really bothers me our players are more than willing to openly criticize our coaches in public to a seeming stranger. That spells trouble. Not that players haven't criticized or questioned our coaches before but to be open about it is whole different issue. They better get a handle on it.....quickly.

This has been my concern all year. How can an offense rally around a QB and buy into the system, when we play QB by Ouija Board.

That being said, Todd Shanesy's latest blog post points out that taking away a few turnovers, we could easily be 5-2 with wins over Idaho, WCU and Chatty. And we wouldn't have needed OT against Mercer. I often wonder if our turnover issues are the result of the revolving QB rotation and the timing issues that result.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 pm

...or bad snaps.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:08 pm

RUCKUS I think about that too. Maybe a lot of out TO issues have been due to snaps and something that teams are seeing is having them pressuring that A Gap to incite some of those Turnovers. Good observation.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:23 pm

I would further point out though that Chatty did not stunt the A gap at all last week (they didn't stunt us at all actually) so the bad snaps last week could not be related to that.
But poor exchanges between center and QB are real problems in an option offense because everything we do is dependent in some measure to timing and flow. So if the QB is a half step to a step late in getting to the QB/FB mesh, a lot can go wrong. I think back to Citadel a few years ago when they were trying to get back into the option offense. Several bad snaps doomed them against us.
This isn't an issue with our OC; this is an execution issue.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 pm

crabbyterrier wrote:Take it easy 94...

GO TERRIERS!!!

OK, I getting pissed off here. I am not some troll, I am an honest to goodness Wofford graduate. I just want to win guys...and I just want our players to be given the best shot to win. I, like many others, feel that some of the playcalling is not giving them that best shot. Someone else says it and that's fine. I say it and it's a "hand grenade". I am being singled out. The players obviously know something is amiss with the play calls. Want to call them out too? No, perish the thought, that would never be dreamt of! If you look at other forums I have been mostly positive in most of them. But this football program, mainly its coaches, deserves some criticism right now. It is underachieving and they are a big reason why. And if you have a real issue with me, then PM me and discuss it in private. Let's see if anyone has the courage to discuss this with me man to man through PMs. How about a real world analogy here. At my job, the goal is to reduce workers' radiation exposure, mainly gamma radiation as it is the most penetrating. Let's say at my job I continuously called to cover up the uranium fuel cavity with tin foil to reduce gamma radiation. That doesn't work and people pick up large amounts of gamma radiation dose. But I still call for it again and again and never try something more effective like water or lead shielding. I would get fired for continuously doing something counterproductive to my job goal. These coaches' main job goal is to win football games. Well, calling for a fullback dive over and over instead of something more effective is counterproductive to their job goal...I think you see where this is going.

And the biggest thing of all. I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY OPINION AND I HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST THAT OPINION THE SAME AS ALL THE SOFT SPINELESS FANBOYS HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST THEIRS! Now you may LIKE a certain opinion more, but that doesn't mean that the opinion you disagree with does not have the right to be seen. Rah, rah, rah! So what that we haven't won in a month. " We'll get 'em next time! Rah, rah, rah! Our boys will shine tonight, our boys will shine..." and so on and so forth. I guess that is the kind of spineless conformist drivel that I am supposed to post.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 am

I think when you see the phrase "uranium fuel cavity" in a post about football, it is a sign to move on to a new topic.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:53 am

Moderator's note:

Anyone on this board is free to express their opinion as long as it does not deride student athletes or uses profanity.

All members are welcome to post here, whether or not they went to Wofford.

Hysterical, whining, belligerent, disrespectful or stupid posts are merely tolerated.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Glad to know Dungeon Joe. I am assuming that Spineless Fanboy is not profanity. Believe me, I am as frustrated as '94, but like Ruckus I think I have accepted certain situations beyond my control. I will continue to be a loyal fan and enjoy my tailgating Saturdays with my lifelong friends. We will always be the first (or second as Crabby has been beating us lately) to arrive in the Vlot and usually among the last (Crabby is usually last) to leave. I hope one day we can get back to playoff runs and dreams of national championships. Until then I am a grill man mostly and chomping at the bit for basketball season. Hate it but it is reality and has been ever since EB graduated. Lots of programs go through ups and downs. I think we are just mostly upset and perplexed at some decisions (i.e. mainly not having a starting QB all season). I follow college football pretty closely and do not ever remember a program without a starting QB all season when injury wasn't a major contributing factor. Hard to find an identity and build offensive momentum when you never know who is going to run the show. But again, beyond my control. Anyhow, happy Halloween everyone. Hope the Terriers can limit turnovers and come away with a W up in Virginny.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm

I will also continue to be a fan. I come to home games when I am in town as work allows. But to say I am frustrated with the program right now is an understatement. I simply feel we can and should do much better and I don't like us being relegated to "has-been" status. Maybe youth plays a role in what our coaches call, but if so then maybe it's time to show a bit more confidence in the guys, open up the playbook and see what they can do. After all, what do we have to lose at this point in this season anyway? Look, I am not an expert on football. But I know our players are hurting and frustrated and are tired of being on a short leash with overly conservative plays. Let's at least make it more fun for them. And this closes my last post. I have decided to ban myself because I just don't fit in here. I guess I am that rare breed of Wofford alumnist/fan that is actually more like a Georgia Southern fan in his behavior and expectations. I know that's not necessarily all good, especially to the typical Wofford fan, and I own that, but it's who I am and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I am a square peg. Since I know I cannot change I will merely sign off and be a fan that does not post; there are quite a few of those. So long guys...I doubt I will be missed as I was seen as kind of a black sheep, but that's okay. No hard feelings. Sometimes people just aren't compatable and don't see eye to eye and that's just life. But I still wouldn't mind meeting some of you in person, just so you could see that I am not a totally horrible guy.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Enough melodrama fam..........seriously. Lets talk about VMI and enough of this foolishness.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football