terriers picked second by media and coaches

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

terriers picked second by media and coaches

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 pm

http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... 52547.aspx
Spencer Collins is first team all conference. This is showing a lot of respect to us after the losses of Karl Cochran and Lee Skinner. Mike Young has developed a program that is now highly thought of...definitely the best program on campus.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: terriers picked second by media and coaches

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Should be a competitive league this year. Certainly we have to be one of the favorites.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 am

Somehow glad that we are once again not picked at the top.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Here's another preview with us picked 2nd. I also like the nugget about Cameron Jackson coming in 20 pounds lighter!
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... eir-perch/
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:46 pm

It seems like every year we have won the SoCon, we have had a guy on the team with a little edge...someone vocal and leads the team on the floor. A guy with a bit of chip on his shoulder that not only refuses to back down from anyone, but may have some words for his opponent as he steps to them. Cameron Rundles was that guy...Lee Skinner was that guy. Do we have that person on the team this year? I am confident that we have the talent to win the title again this year, but these guys have, in the past, been so quiet on the floor. Sometimes you need somebody to mix it up a little with outward passion, someone who wears their heart on their sleeve.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:23 pm

I think the closest we may have to that kind of physical presence that brings an edge may be Justin Gordon, at least among the more established players. It's always possible that it could come from one of the freshmen/sophomores (perhaps Brooks?) but among upperclassmen, I'd guess Gordon might fill that role. I envision Eric Garcia as a vocal leader, albeit perhaps not in an adversarial way. I hope Collins is more vocal this year but he strikes me more as the kind of player that lets the game come to him rather than taking over the game like Cochran would tend to do (ex. @ UTC last year). Which brings me to another question: who on our current team takes the last shot with time running down? For year, Cochran would play the roll of hero but with him gone, I'm not sure yet who fills that void.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Only three weeks away from first tipoff. I can't wait! I'm not saying we'll only lose one game, but I think that every game on our schedule is potentially winnable if we bring our A game with the probable exception of UNC. I won't predict a win-loss record or a SoCon title/NCAA berth at this time but I will predict that Mike Young is going to lead the team to another very good season. With the continued disappointing performance of and likely poor short term prospects of the football team, I am SO glad I have hoops to look forward to!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:04 pm

ShortHairedDog wrote:It seems like every year we have won the SoCon, we have had a guy on the team with a little edge...someone vocal and leads the team on the floor. A guy with a bit of chip on his shoulder that not only refuses to back down from anyone, but may have some words for his opponent as he steps to them. Cameron Rundles was that guy...Lee Skinner was that guy. Do we have that person on the team this year? I am confident that we have the talent to win the title again this year, but these guys have, in the past, been so quiet on the floor. Sometimes you need somebody to mix it up a little with outward passion, someone who wears their heart on their sleeve.

Good point. Skinner was definitely that guy, 100% of the time. I think among Gordon, Neumann, and Collins we will get some aggressive leadership; all three became visibly more assertive during the second half of last season. Garcia and Allen should step it up too, especially as calming influences. Really anxious to see Sawvell get rolling; no doubt he is chomping at the bit after sitting out last year and most of the preceding one.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Neumann will stick his face in a fan. Leads by example.
Jackson and Gordon have some fire too but Collins HAS to step up as the vocal leader for us to repeat IMO. Allen, Brooks, Sawvell, McKnight - all have to step up with production.
We will be a little different team but maybe a little more "flexible" with a number of weapons.
BTW - hearing good things about F Jent.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Changing his number to that of his fallen teammate is a pretty sizable step up for Spencer. Also, I hope you guys had a chance to see Cam Jackson at the groundbreaking ceremony. I was very impressed with him. All that said, however, this is Garcia's team to run on the floor and I think he will step up. We have ten or so who can play at any time. Mike's problems keep getting better!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball