Richardson Indoor Stadium Ground Breaking

Postby Hobo on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

This is a nice video of the ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtAQEd ... e=youtu.be
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Richardson Indoor Stadium Ground Breaking

Postby boulder3m on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Sometimes it takes statements like the ones by the student athletes at the groundbreaking today to bring us back to understanding what the real meaning of athletic scholarships can be to the ones who receive them. Too often we get hung up on wins and losses and forget that oftentimes kids get a chance that is priceless. The ones who take advantage of the education they receive and go on to make a difference in life should be all that we could ever hope for.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:54 am

This new arena might just be exactly what Wofford beeds to get its already successful basketball program to reach even greater heights...like winning NCAA tournament games. I have always thought the BenJo made it harder to recruit, and soon we won't have to worry about that anymore! And because of the NCAA tournament and its popularity, basketball is the one sport that can really put Wofford on the map athletically. I dream of a day when Wofford's basketball program is a small school version of Kentucky or Duke, when basketball is the biggest sport on campus, an NCAA run is a yearly expectation, and every game is sold out with crazy fans. Basketball is my favorite sport, and I like that it is on its way to being the most successful and most popular sport at Wofford.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:41 am

There is really no debate that we have a greater opportunity in basketball to achieve national recognition and media exposure (and more money) than any other sport. If we could somehow make it to the sweet sixteen in March, the top would fly off the program, esp. Now with the JRIS.
However, I still maintain baseball is the one sport where our mission, demographics, and geographical advantage should be the easiest to succeed in.
Also, I would add that there is nothing like a crisp fall day watching football to bring a campus community together. I have been very disappointed in the student attendance this year. Of course, when you aren't that great.......
Everybody loves a winner.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:56 am

I agree Ruck. I would add soccer and golf to that as well; we are becoming very respectable, especially in soccer on the men's side. Women's volleyball and golf offer opportunities too, and they are improving; women's basketball is languishing at this point in time, but has a chance to really get on the men's coattails in this new arena.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:36 am

Agree with you both on exposure of basketball. Last weekend Wake Forest played UNC in soccer-two top ten teams. They drew over 5,000 attendance, well over capacity, and would have had much more if they could hold them. It's coming as a revenue sport. In addition, the minor sports of field hockey and lacrosse are very hot here in NC-much more so than volleyball or women's basketball. Baseball would allow us to play with the big boys on a larger stage, but not sure of the cost. Golf is interesting, in that it seems every school is going after golf in a big way. It is not like it used to be. The NCAA has limits on practice and playing time and it's a year round sport now. It is as much a job as a sport for kids on scholarship now, and they seem to burn out. Since I have no idea about the budget and what is the largest loser it is hard to say where we should go. I know two families here in town with strong Wofford ties and young family members who are very good baseball players who have signed with major universities. Not that they would necessarily gone to Wofford, but it was never on the radar. It's an interesting discussion, and one that is going on in the athletic departments of everyone not in a Big Five conference. Oh the times, they are a changin'...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 pm

As a current student, I can tell you without hesitation that (Men's) Basketball is the sport that the Wofford Community can most easily rally around.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 am

Attended a focus group meeting last night with our athletic admin staff to review the JRIS and the plans for it.
I came away very impressed with the plans and features for it. It will be one of the finest mid-major venues in the country and the finest in the SoCon for sure. Lots of architectural features inside and out. Best described as a "cathedral of basketball". Columns and arches and arched windows. An arena with 2400 seats in lower bowl and another 1000 in balcony which can be curtained off if not needed.
Students will be moved behind a basket (which they are ok with BTW). 4 Video boards with score boards and ribbon boards. Love the concept and design. Classic and traditional. Tasteful yet lots of modern amenities and technology.
Really exciting. Is already having an effect on our recruiting.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 am

Great to hear; and especially great that they are looking for input and bringing in outsiders to hear and see. IMO it will be a LEAP forward for the entire college.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks Ruck, very exciting.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 am

I truly don't understand moving students to behind a basket. Students used to occupy the middle section of the BenJo on one side. It could get very loud in there, and I didn't see the need to move the students to only behind the home bench. Behind the basket seems worse to me.

I'm not totally crazy about a curtain to block out seats -- I'd rather commit to a nice, small arena. But I'm optimistic that the architects have a good plan for that. Just hoping it doesn't take away from the vibe or have a "fake" aesthetic. Either way, it sure sounds like it'll be a much better place than that Timmons monstrosity in Greenville. And definitely a potential boost for recruiting.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:34 am

We should do it like Davidson and put the students behind the visitors bench.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:09 pm

I believe the students were moved from the middle to provide a buffer between them and visiting fans. Behind the basket, behind the visitors bench, I don't really care, but it is a good idea to have some space between students and visiting fans.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:23 pm

dude wrote:I truly don't understand moving students to behind a basket. Students used to occupy the middle section of the BenJo on one side. It could get very loud in there, and I didn't see the need to move the students to only behind the home bench. Behind the basket seems worse to me.

I'm not totally crazy about a curtain to block out seats -- I'd rather commit to a nice, small arena. But I'm optimistic that the architects have a good plan for that. Just hoping it doesn't take away from the vibe or have a "fake" aesthetic. Either way, it sure sounds like it'll be a much better place than that Timmons monstrosity in Greenville. And definitely a potential boost for recruiting.

I like the idea of being able to curtain off the top seats. A 3500 seat arena will look cavernous and empty for women's BB games as well as men's games against Toccoa Falls. To be honest, in the near term, the upper stands would likely only be used for a few games a year.

My only concern about curtains is that they may tend to reduce echoes - good for musical events, but bad for sporting events.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball