WCU game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: WCU game thread

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:19 pm

youngterrier wrote:At this point we have to acknowledge that we aren't a playoff team this year and do all we can to look at the positive.

Today was frustrating to watch, but the team still fought hard.

PLAYOFFS! You talkin' about PLAYOFFS?! We'll be lucky to win another game. Right now, positives are hard to come by. Not only are we "not a playoff team", we are a bottom feeder SoCon team. In a word, we are BAD. We used to be in the upper eschelons of one of FCS football's best conferences. Now we are near the bottom of a mediocre FCS conference. We have to hold SOMEONE accountable for letting the program get in the shape it is in. SOMEONE needs to suffer the consequences. And I don't care how great you were in 2003 or even 2012. It's 2015 now and the present and future are all that is important to me now. Remember that old board game Chutes and Ladders? We landed on that space near the top of the board where the kid broke the cookie jar and you have to slide all the way down to the bottom of the board. We have fallen very quickly. Trying hard is simply not enough. You don't get anywhere in life by merely trying hard. You have to be succeed at things in order to make something of your life.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Woffordgrad94, there are a lot of rebuttals to your "harsh, but truthful post".

1-Number one is that it is "surrounded, and enclosed , with such negativity that it has no substance, enhanced by the fact this has been your posting style since your involvement in this little commentary board of ours"

2-Perhaps you should expand on your personal involvement in our strength and conditioning program in order for us to man up and get tougher-Perhaps you should be out there at 0600 to see what is being done, and to make sure it is up to your standards--

3-Nothing against Todd, a great coach, but why compare him to one of the best all time coaches in all of Wofford history in any sport???

4-If you support your school, and athletic program, why would you give up in the middle of the season--Does that say something about you, or is that about the athletic program? are you involved in a committed way, or just posting? Maybe, you should let us know?

5-Dang, if this is your attitude, and you are a supporter, how does this play out? Dang, what if this is the way we thought in all of our endeavors?

6-I would not recommend deleting it, because i think you should be acknowledged for your insight and expertise, and perhaps the athletic program should retain you as a consultant to avoid situations like this in the future--

7-So, that is my comments, but not thinking of it as a rebuttal, but just thanking you for your positive, insightful commentary__
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Just arrived home from the game. Sad to say it was the exact opposite of what we have been saying. The coaches chose to start Jacks and almost spitefully left him in after a couple of interceptions and a fumble. The kid has heart, but if ever there were a time to substitute and let him recover that was it. Once we were down to the point of having to throw, don't we have a QB that is the better passer? Wouldn't quick throws loosen the defense a little? On D our backs were giving WCU 7-10 yards every time, and they took great advantage. We just aren't a very good team. HOWEVER, I have never been embarrassed by our coaches as much as today. The last play was the perfect cap to another poorly orchestrated offensive game. To have to call time out and then still not be able to run a play is pitiful. Sorry, it's the truth. Our clock management embarrassed me, and I am sad to see Coach Ayers headed down this road. I will be elated if we win another game-and very surprised. VMI gave Chatty a game today, and the other three we play are just better than we are. Just sorry to see it happening.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Does it really matter? Seriously. I am not being sarcastic.
Does it really matter that we are a poor football team? Injuries or not, what is really going to change because our offense, clock management, or team intensity is awful?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Next week and the next and the next and the next will be exactly the same. Maybe we will win (but probably not) but if we don't, so what? It's Wofford. Nothing changes, we all know that. Yeah the players care but do the coaches? Admin? Alumni? Is there enough passion and demand for excellence that anybody in these groups will do something about what has become our new norm?
The answer is no. So why should we get upset, wound up, beside ourselves about something those closest to the program don't care enough to change or correct?
Sad pretty much sums it up for me.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:57 pm

fgs44 wrote:Woffordgrad94, there are a lot of rebuttals to your "harsh, but truthful post".

1-Number one is that it is "surrounded, and enclosed , with such negativity that it has no substance, enhanced by the fact this has been your posting style since your involvement in this little commentary board of ours"

2-Perhaps you should expand on your personal involvement in our strength and conditioning program in order for us to man up and get tougher-Perhaps you should be out there at 0600 to see what is being done, and to make sure it is up to your standards--

3-Nothing against Todd, a great coach, but why compare him to one of the best all time coaches in all of Wofford history in any sport???

4-If you support your school, and athletic program, why would you give up in the middle of the season--Does that say something about you, or is that about the athletic program? are you involved in a committed way, or just posting? Maybe, you should let us know?

5-Dang, if this is your attitude, and you are a supporter, how does this play out? Dang, what if this is the way we thought in all of our endeavors?

6-I would not recommend deleting it, because i think you should be acknowledged for your insight and expertise, and perhaps the athletic program should retain you as a consultant to avoid situations like this in the future--

7-So, that is my comments, but not thinking of it as a rebuttal, but just thanking you for your positive, insightful commentary__

I stand by my post. As a big fan of the program since 1990, I think I am owed a better product than what I am getting this year...that's the bottom line. And if you REALLY believe that we are going to beat the likes of Chttanooga and Furman, I mean REALLY believe it and not just posting that to not think so is a bad attitude in an attempt to be PC, then you are either incredibly delusional or just not very SoCon football savvy.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: WCU game t

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Ruckus wrote:Does it really matter? Seriously. I am not being sarcastic.
Does it really matter that we are a poor football team? Injuries or not, what is really going to change because our offense, clock management, or team intensity is awful?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Next week and the next and the next and the next will be exactly the same. Maybe we will win (but probably not) but if we don't, so what? It's Wofford. Nothing changes, we all know that. Yeah the players care but do the coaches? Admin? Alumni? Is there enough passion and demand for excellence that anybody in these groups will do something about what has become our new norm?
The answer is no. So why should we get upset, wound up, beside ourselves about something those closest to the program don't care enough to change or correct?
Sad pretty much sums it up for me.

It sucks that a few fans seem to care so much more than those "closest to the program", doesn't it? But yeah, most alumni don't care...they are too busy following FBS teams- Clemson and USC, for example- to pay attention to their alma mater's program. Even back when I was a student, a lot of my classmates didn't care about Wofford football. They either went merely to chant fraternity songs and just be seen, or they didn't go at all. And that was with Shawn Graves, one of the most exciting Terrier players ever, on the team. The interest in the program just isn't there on a large scale and never has been. and the support for the school itself (not just the football program) in the city of Spartanburg is very low, mainly because Wofford presents itself as an upscale place whereas Spartanburg itself is largely more of a blue collar NASCAR and high school football place.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 pm

You folks stay away from sharp objects...
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:
I stand by my post. As a big fan of the program since 1990, I think I am owed a better product than what I am getting this year...that's the bottom line. And if you REALLY believe that we are going to beat the likes of Chttanooga and Furman, I mean REALLY believe it and not just posting that to not think so is a bad attitude in an attempt to be PC, then you are either incredibly delusional or just not very SoCon football savvy.

With all the hand grenades you have thrown on this thread, now we come to the heart of it. Being a Wofford fan is not some contract of mutuality, that you give something and you get something in return. I dare say most here on this small board are here because we love Wofford College and its sports programs win or lose. We aren't here because we are owed something. I got what I was owed-a Wofford education. All of this is gravy. We are here because we like discussing Wofford sports.

I do not give my loyalty to Wofford football as a return on an investment, of what I am owed. If that is the way you look at it, perhaps it's time to trade your loyalty to a program that is doing well right now. I hear Alabama is doing well. Plan on sticking with them...until they are not.

One day Wofford football will be back; in that season, we will look back on this misfire and that season will be all the more sweeter...
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:29 am

I came into this game realizing that for us to succeed we need to play primarily from ahead. That way our methodical play calls and Clock management actually work on our favor. We came out and executed on that first drive and had a perfect play call in the play action pass which led to an open receiver and with a well thrown ball we would be ahead 7-0 and the crowd and momentum would be in our favor and the complexion of the game changes. That drive had a nice mix of inside runs, throwing the ball down field that resulted in pass interference, and was well thought out and designed. That happens, it's football.

After we fired blanks on offense, only so often can you give an offense that is Taylor made to move the ball against us chances. Our defense which allows short and intermediate throws, as we play to keep everything in front of us and not getting beat deep. They were working to Brion's side trying to get #14 iso'd on Brion, and we're getting 5-10 a clip in the first half. Now either to Brion's credit or the D coaching staff, a change was made in how we approached our secondary against their receivers. I saw DBs walking up and taking away that cushion, leading to an interception, indecision by the QB, and taking away the easy pitch and catch. Great move by whomever made that change.

I hate losing to western and here is why. I don't think they are a particularly well coached team. Their play calling and inability in the 2nd half was like watching our first half. They seemingly abandoned what worked for them and went into a shell. If we could have been in this game from the start, I have no question that we beat them. We didn't make them have to actually play until the 3rd and 4th quarter and we saw how that played out. We seem to lay an egg with these guys for whatever reason when we play.

I really dislike our inability or our unwillingness to throw the ball in sitiations that we should. Fully understanding that we are a Triple option team, so we should be strategic in our passing game approach. We have Matchups 1 on 1 so often in games that for us to not attack that is mind numbing. We shouldn't wait until 3rd and 15 where we are going to call our "go to" pass play of the double reverse flea flicker smh. Take advantage on first or 2nd down when teams are ears pinned back loading the box and leaving their DBs on an island. The touchdown pass, the pass interference to Paul, the missed Touchdowm pass to RJ, all results of this. We have opportunities to help the run game IMO.

Also, Evan has the heart of a lion, shouldn't anyone question his heart or want to. The kid is putting his body on the line each week, and is getting drilled week in week out and is playing hurt. That first half, while all year long we have rotated a QB in for a couple series, we should have IMO provided Evan some relief in that 2nd quarter when he was obviously hurting and the offense stuck in neutral. That was the opportune time to give Evan a rest, give the change up at QB to implement whatever it is you see as a staff when you rotate them in the other times. My opinion.

Loved the on side kick, I called it actually to the family. Was the perfect spot and well exectuted. What drove me nuts was our ensuing play calls resulted in 3 FB dives. Smh. Why gamble to get the ball, and yet not gamble to take advantage of getting the ball. That was a frustrating series. After a great call.

All that to be said. We still had our chances and shots due to our terriers not folding the tent
Like some fans on this board. They fought back and got us back to position to tie or win the game with the ball for the last drive. Evan fought like a warrior in the second half. The kids blocked and tackled like terriers, the DBs walked up to the line and removed the cushion and made WCU limited on offense. Guys made plays. I talked with some of the young men after the game and talking to Michael Roach, he feels it was his fault about their last touchdown. He had his zone covered but the QB and back rolled out, the back stepped up to block and the QB looked like he was heading for a keeper, so Mike stepped up, the back slipped out from the block and the QB pulled up and dropped it off to him catching Mike in no mans land and resulted in their last touchdown. He felt bad about that. That's not his fault, he was in his responsibility they just made a play. But he felt the weight of the loss. As did the other young men. Maybe some of you should remember that when you let your "fandom" speak. Folks questioning if Coach Ayers should retire are ridiculous. Folks somehow glorify our losses and minimize our wins in an effort to play the curmudgeon. I understand that's how some folks justify their fandom, that doesn't work for me. I have a kid that plays, and I feel like I have 80 others that also play, as I feel every injury they have, every missed play, every missed opportunity I feel along with them

I was so glad to meet so many of you and our names with faces. One of the best aspects of a place and program like Wofford is the people. From Ruck, to Woco65, to Hobo, to YoungTerrier and Dungeon Joe, and to meet parents of other players we had a great trip based on that alone. And those great people are reflections of a great coach that has helped to establish that trait in this program, Mike Ayers and staff. That man has earned his places to Wofford and nothing I see shows me an inept head coach needing to step away. What we need is to regroup attack the day at practice and have that translate to the field on Saturday. We are not the explosive team that can overcome 3-4 turnovers a game. Minimize negative plays and turnovers and get the plays called in in a timely fashion, play mistake free and be aggressive in our offense and defensive philosophy and let's see how the games play out. I love our choice in Wofford, and before we leave we will win a socon title. That's what I feel. Thanks to everyone I had the chance to actually meet.

Sorry for the long post. Disappointed in the loss, but that was yesterday. Looking forward to attacking Chatt on Saturday
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:53 am

Good to see u T19. Please come back by if you get down again.
DJ, your are spot on. We as fans/alumni of Wofford are owed nothing. Win or lose, Wofford has given us our due already. It's now our turn to give back to Wofford.
However we do have the right to question its direction or standards.
MA and staff have given us more than we deserve over the years. But complacency kills and breeds contempt. Something is missing and askew somewhere. Maybe it's injuries, inexperience, philosophy, personnel, desire, intensity. I don't know. Historically we don't make these mistakes (except clock management which has always been bad).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:46 am

Ruckus wrote:Good to see u T19. Please come back by if you get down again.
DJ, your are spot on. We as fans/alumni of Wofford are owed nothing. Win or lose, Wofford has given us our due already. It's now our turn to give back to Wofford.
However we do have the right to question its direction or standards.
MA and staff have given us more than we deserve over the years. But complacency kills and breeds contempt. Something is missing and askew somewhere. Maybe it's injuries, inexperience, philosophy, personnel, desire, intensity. I don't know. Historically we don't make these mistakes (except clock management which has always been bad).

I agree. It is almost like a funk has fallen over the program for the last 3 years.

It is easy to blame the offense because shortcomings are more obvious. Defensive schemes and such are not as understandable to many fans (myself included).

The most obvious issue has been at QB. 2011 was the last year we had a true number 1 QB who played the entire season healthy. This is the 4th season in a row with QB issues. Jacks may be the de facto starter, but I don't think he is 100%.

What concerns me is that the coaching staff has enough confidence in Goodson and Butler to let them start, but not enough to let them play during the heart of the game. When Jacks struggled yesterday in the first half with a fumble following trouble handling the snap with 2 interceptions and a possible third interception (I thought it was offensive pass interference), it would have been the ideal time to let Goodson or Butler run a series or two in the second quarter to allow Jacks to regroup (he obviously was able to settle down during halftime and played a good second half).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Jacks is FAR from 100%.
Which makes that particular issue even more puzzling.
I just don't get it......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:30 pm

As I mentioned earlier, leaving Jacks in was almost as if it were spiteful; as in "you wanted Jacks, and now you've got him regardless of the situation." I agree with the posters saying that the other QB's were good enough to start but not to come off the bench. Strange...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone heard anything about the WCU fan who fell out of the stands. During the 3d quarter or so, a purple clad fan fell out of the stands and lay motionless on the ground and was eventually taken away by ambulance.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Shanesy tweeted after the game he was fine.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football