Assessment Time

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Assessment Time

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

Obviously our team has played much better and smarter the last two years, and is now playing perhaps the best baseball in our history. Congrats to them, keep it up.

What are the reasons for that?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Assessment Time

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:50 pm

There are many reasons. It starts with pitching depth. We have the best pitching staff this season in our D-1 history. And then our speed. We steal a lot of bases and keep the defense on its toes. And our power. We have several guys that can go yard at anytime, giving us a quick run or runs. And last but definitely not least, confidence and team morale. The team now thinks they can win games and compete in the conference.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Our coaching staff deserves credit, from a teaching and recruiting standpoint. The increased experience appears to have resulted in better synergy.

Does anyone know whether we have more baseball schollies than in the past?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby TX_terrier on Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 am

Number of baseball scholarships is only one more than Wofford had in 1965.

Thanks Richard.
TX_terrier
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 08, 2015 7:32 am

I am told that's about to change. Apparently the way we have been accounting for our non-athletic schollies has hurt us. The way I understand it is we will now start accounting for academic and no-athletic help in a different way which will free up an amount of money that is not insubstantial. I have heard it may add up to another schollie or 2 for baseball.
While having to grow into the job and not without bumps and criticisms in the process, TI and staff have done a fantastic job recruiting good players who qualify for academic help thus defraying/minimalizing that dreadful (embarrassing really) lack of funding. If you look at the baseball team's GPA it is one of the highest on campus. I know we all get caught up in the successes of our football and basketball teams but in that respect, the baseball team is head and shoulders above the rest (except rifle and xcountry). As a former player, I am very proud of where we are as a program right now. Glad to see the hard work pay off for the coaches and players. And this team may very well be one of if not the best we have ever had.
94 hit it on the head: pitching and confidence/morale. So happy when I see them having fun, and winning to boot. Amazing correlation.
And if you don't follow Wofford baseball on Twitter, you are missing out. Players take the reins during games and post updates with selfies/photos. It's hilarious! Even some guest Twitterers/former players get the honor like Cornely and Waring. Funny stuff. And a shout to Lenny Mathis; per Eric Boynton with SHJ, the best game announcer in college baseball. I remember when Lenny and Mark Line did the radio for the SoCon tournament in '07 when we won it, they were just so good.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:12 am

Hard to argue with the successes of the team. However, I will still reserve judgement for Coach I for a little longer. Most of us have vented our frustrations for Coach I, and I'm not gonne let a good year this year and a decent year last year let me jump on the Coach I bandwagon quite yet. We all trash talked him in the past, and I'm not quite ready to drink the Kool-aid quite yeet.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Return to Baseball