Time to give it up for Coach I

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Time to give it up for Coach I

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 pm

I, like many people, was angry when I heard the decision of his hiring. We all know that story. And for years, that anger seemed justified. But now we are seeing some results. We are no longer a joke in Southern Conference baseball. Today we almost blew an 11-0 lead and had to hold on for dear life to win 12-9. But we won. And in the end that's all that matters. It was our 30th win overall. We are poised to easily break the school record of 32 set last year. We took two of gree from the first place team in the conference. We are now in third place in the SoCon with an 8-6 record. We have already faced the two teams ahead of us (Samford and Mercer) and we went 3-2 against them. Next week, we travel to fourth place UNCG (10-8 conference) for a big series then close out the year vs. Furman (7-8) and at ETSU (5-10). We also have games against Clemson and USC, but the results of those aren't as important. Though the Clemson game was a good addition to the schedule because it is at King Field and could give us a nice crowd (even though many will be Tigger fans). So the toughest part of our conference schedule is over and we have a winning conference record. I'll put our weekend starting three (Matt Millburn, his bad start Friday notwithstanding, Luke Leftwich, and Adam Scott) aginst anyone in the conference. Offensively, we have both speed and power. We have a legitimate shot at a SoCon title this season. And our team is still pretty young. For instance, all three of those starting pitchers will be back in '16. We will be expected to finish in the top part of the conference next year. Coach I has grown into this job and has built this program. It is time to take our hat off to him.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Time to give it up for Coach I

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:25 pm

TI seems to have grown into the job. He has worked hard and gotten the players to buy in to his philosophies. A little schollie money will help us even further.
However, I would not call us a power team by any stretch. Clancy is really the only true HR threat, although several others are strong enough to go yard on occasion. We are a contact team with speed.
The biggest difference is the starting pitching with Stillman's big arm out of the pen (league leader in saves at 13). Our pitching depth is still not up to par as evidenced by our mid-week loss at USCS and our middle relief melt down yesterday with a 11-0 lead. Scott looks sensational as a freshman and Leftwich can be nasty.
Maybe one of our best teams ever. We shall see. Glad to see us competing hard and believing we can win. Defense is still suspect at times though.
Respect is hard earned. We need to keep working.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:58 pm

I have been a vocal critic of Coach Interdonato on this board for years, and rightfully so based on performance and the general vibe around our program. I don't think he should have gotten the job at the time and I think he more than earned a dismissal along the way after he got the job. There were a myriad of performance issues, there were coaching issues and there were issues between our staff and other programs.

Wofford baseball has been every bit the laughingstock of the SoCon for quite some time. Is that fair? I don't know. Maybe it's scholarships? Maybe it's resources for assistants, recruiting, equipment, etc? Maybe it's just struggling to compete in a good baseball league? Either way, we were all right to question the hire and right to voice displeasure over the course of many seasons.

That does appear to be changing. Performance has definitely improved and there is a positive buzz around the program. The trend is in the right direction, excitement is building around the team and Wofford fans can be hopeful for success this season and beyond. I'm not sure if this is all because of Coach Interdonato, but if sitting in his seat earns the grumbling then it should also earn the praise. I am not ready to say everything is where it should be or that everything will ultimately work out, but I am willing to say that it appears that a corner has been turned and progress is being made which earns a thumbs up from me for Coach Interdonato.

It has been a long road (a very long road) to this point for Coach Interdonato, but to his credit, the team is doing well and has a chance each time it takes the field which has only recently been the case. At this point, the future is bright and this coaching staff has our players performing at a level they (and all of Wofford) can be proud of. So hats off to the players, the assistants and Coach Interdonato on a successful season so far and best of luck going forward.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 am

We have to consider too that It also helps that big, fully funded public schools like C of C, ASU, and GSU that could easily provide 11.7 schollies and higher coach pay are gone. They had an unfair advantage over us in some ways. As is Elon, which seemed to go all in for baseball the way Davidson does for basketball.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:39 am

Mercer which is a very committed baseball school came in but all in all our league is weaker without CoC, Elon and ASU (Davy didn't move the needle).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon May 25, 2015 7:36 am

A fine example of adaptive leadership
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201505 ... um=twitter
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 25, 2015 9:26 am

+1. Another great article by Todd Shanesy. Baseball is fun for these guys, and they played smart and with concentration this year, and last. And second in the country in stolen bases ... we keep the pressure on other teams. Coach I and staff have grown in their professions, the kids are buying in, and it is beautiful to behold. Now, women's basketball .............
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon May 25, 2015 8:43 pm

A nice article, indeed. If the culture of the program has changed as Todd outlines, then this bodes well. If it is just a group dynamic with this set of players then it might not mean the same thing. That being said, Wofford has now had two good seasons in a row and a positive trend is starting. Great job by the players and coaches this season. I hope the success (and fun) continues next season.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:59 am

2nd in stolen bales...I like that..must mean we are getting on base :D