Starting Five 2015-16

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Starting Five 2015-16

Postby lawdog on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Admittedly it is early, and the new recruits have yet to step onto the court. However, it is still worthwhile to think about who our starting five will be next year. At this point, imho, our starting five will be: Garcia, Collins, Gordon, Sawvell, and Pegram. The first three are somewhat obvious, since they started this year and performed well. Garcia should be healthy and even more confident; his experience and leadership will be huge pluses. Collins could be a star, based on the confidence and dramatic improvement he showed as this year progressed. He could be one of our best ever. Gordon will need to continue to improve as well; if he does, watch out ... he could win some games for us. I picked Sawvell since he has had two years playing significant minutes on a good Evansville team (all-MVC freshman) and another practicing with our team; he has a good inside/outside offensive game, is mobile, has some size, and can rebound. Pegram is less certain; however, he is a large inside presence, is a hustler, and has skills well beyond those of most freshmen ... one of our all-time best big man recruits.

We will probably substitute more than last year, since we have a lot of talented depth. We can keep people fresh. Early off the bench will be Allen, Brooks, Neumann, Jackson, and McKnight. How Allen and Brooks step up and where they fit in will be keys to our success. Both should be more confident. Neumann, Jackson and McKnight should be very solid inside; Jackson in particular could become an important inside presence. And Neumann is extremely experienced and improved a lot this year; more confident too. Magee will see a lot of PT if he is as good as advertised, and Stumpe could as well, especially if we need someone to hit an important shot. There is talent among our non-scholarship players as well. All in all we could be really good again next year, especially if we continue to work together to play great team defense, our trademark.

What say ye?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Starting Five 2015-16

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 pm

I think we run Garcia, Collins, & Allen out there with Gordon getting a lot of minutes and Neumann & Sawvell splitting time. I think we run too much of a 3 guard set with our motion offense to have Gordon, Sawvell & Pegram on the floor at the same time unless Sawvell is really a threat from deep. Unfortunately, at the rate that Gordon can pick up fouls, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the quick substitution like he did this year if he picks up a foul early. Neumann may start or he may be better suited to coming off the bench as an energy guy that plays fewer minutes at higher intensity. I think Jackson showed a lot of potential and I actually think he'll get more minutes than Pegram, at least initially. I'll be interested to see what Brooks can do with an expanded role as well. I don't expect next year's freshmen to contribute too much more than the freshman did this year though.

Minute Breakdown:
PG: Garcia (32); Brooks (8)
2 Guard: Allen (25); Collins (7); Brooks (7)
3 Guard: Collins (25); McKnight (8); Magee/Stumpe (7)
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:21 am

What about red-shirting? Is that a strategy that Mike Young does?
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes, he does that, in fact did it with McKnight this year. I suppose it is a possibility. Also possible we will sign one more for next year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Good topic ld. Picking the first two is a no brainer and Gordon is probably the same but not as convincing at least to me. Not to say Gordon is not good enough to start but that Neumann is also very good and in some ways I think he might be better than Gordon. For instance think about how many times Neumann grabbed a crucial and sometimes an absolute must rebound or tipped a loose ball back out to one of the guards to save the possession and maybe the whole game. Gordon is more athletic and so maybe should start but Neumann is also solid and has few weaknesses. Two unknowns IMHO are Sawvell and Peagram because they have yet to play in a game as a Terrier as well as the other guys already mentioned. Anyway after Garcia, Collins and Gordon the other two positions are harder for me to pick. But at the same time it seems like you have to include Sawvell in there somewhere. He seems to have the talent and definitely has playing experience. But like it was already mentioned - Terrier13 I think - that with as much as we use three guards, using Pegram, Sawvell and Gordon in the game together will probably not happen often. I almost forgot to mention Jaylen Allen in particular but also Brooks and Jackson. We all know that these three guys have talent and could and likely will be starters one day. But will it be next year ? So after all that my five starters IMHO will be Collins, Garcia, Gordon, Sawvell and Allen. However I don't think the starting five is all that important because we substitute so often that there will be other players like Neumann, Brooks and Jackson that will contribute just as much or almost as much as one of the starters. Then there are the other guys. Which one of them will step up and contribute ? I hope Pegram mostly but I also like Magee.
Loyalterrier

Postby boulder3m on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I think Jackson is going to play much more than you guys have indicated; and I would expect to see Pegram play less-maybe redshirt. It is generally very hard for a really tall kid coming out of high school to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game. I'm sure Cam Jackson is still learning to play defense, but he is going to be a great Wofford player. CJ became one of the most important players on the roster this year, and there has to be a place for him. I think I heard that Sawvell was a good outside shooter, and it will be quite an asset for us to have a big that can shoot outside. I'm sure our coaching staff is drooling thinking about what we have coming back. Every player who ever suited up for Wofford has contributed to where we are going, and can take pride in knowing they were a part of making Wofford a basketball school. I hope we can embrace it and move forward. The Richardson Indoor Stadium will become the place to be every winter, and it can be one of the great home arenas in basketball.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Pretty good guess, I would guess, about Wofford's starting line-up next year.

I would not be surprised, though, if Cam Jackson makes a major leap and becomes one of the team's most valuable players next season. I think it is a real possibility, at least.

I also feel that Fletcher Magee might be a guy who's really good. I'm not going on much here, but it seems that he's a real athlete and shooter. Might be too good to not play.

If Spencer Collins can improve the consistency of his shooting some, I figure he could have a great season as a senior. It could really be "his team," in a way.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Under any scenario, four or five of our starters will be juniors or seniors who have a lot of experience. Back-ups also have substantial playing time. Good omen.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Garcia this summer and his thoughts about the NCAA tournament. Makes me feel good and proud to be a Terrier. http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... 50753.aspx
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks LT. Wonderful Denver Post article and great exposure for Eric and the school. There appears to be a good chance that he will assume a larger role on this year's team. I had a chance to speak with him a little last season; won't find a more courteous, focused, and well-spoken youngster. Coach K had many good things to stay about, and to, Eric after he played the whole game against Duke with his jaw wired shut.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Basketball roster has been spruced up, adding freshmen and Jimmy Jent, a 6-4 guard (team captain) from Fork Union. http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx? ... ath=mbball

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2419909/hig ... 0413375/v2 Appears Jent can play.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Interviews of freshman players (click on "video"). http://woffordterriers.com/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball