2010/11 team vs. 2014/15 team

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2010/11 team vs. 2014/15 team

Postby Hobo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 pm

In the "ask the coach" segment, somebody asked whether the Dahlman team or the Cochran team is better. MY actually gave a good answer.
- explained how different the teams are
-how deep both are
-they'd probably get in a fight at some point
-and he would take the current team more often than not, but it would be close

I found that interesting. Thoughts?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2010/11 team vs. 2014/15 team

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:27 pm

I'd like to see the match ups: Cochran v Diggs, Rundles v Collins, Dahlman v Skinner, Johnson v Gordon, Garcia v Loesing.
I'd give the defensive nod to 2011 but offensively this group may have the edge. The thing that made that older group so tough was that when we needed to stop a run and get a basket, ND was absolute money in the bank. This is more athletic overall but with TJ on the boards, Loesing on point, Diggs in the grill of the opponents best guard, and Rundles making plays....tough.
Methodical, steady and sure v. Explosiveness and athleticism.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Coach Young also said Tim Johnson was the best passing big man he had ever had. Hauser said that's good because he is now teaching that. But MY said that is something you are sort of born with, like having soft hands. But they were talking about Cam Jackson, who coach constantly praises for having so much skill.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 pm

He did mention Cam Jackson's passing ability. As I mentioned in another post, that little kiss off the backboard shot that he made Saturday tells volumes. Most big guys, when they get the ball in scoring position, can't make the soft shot to score. It is something that "big man schools" spend hours teaching. The interior passing to the scoring guys was spectacular Saturday night in every way.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Wow. This would be great to witness as a Terriers dream best of seven series at the BenJo. Let's look at the matchups:

E. Garcia vs. B. Loesing: what a matchup of two great point guards. Between them, we would rarely see a turnove and we would have lots of assists. Both can score when needed too. A very slight edge to Loesing as he was a bit better shooter.

K. Cochran vs. C. Rundles: I liked Rundles. He played with emotion, coud hit some big shots, and played some lockdown D. Buut Cochran may be the best all-around player ever at Wofford. He can do it all. This is where the current team has its biggest edge.

J. Diggs vs. S. Collins: Diggs was better defensively and he could score a few for you, but Collins is a very dependable scorer who holds his own on D. Edge to Spencer Collins.

N. Dahlman vs. L. Skinner: Two undersized guys with huge hearts and excellent leadership abilities. Noah was always good for a basket when it was needed nd he finised as Wofford's 5th all time leading scorer. I hate to go against Lee, but you have to give an edge to Dahlman here.

T. Johnson vs. J. Gordan: Teacher vs. student. Tim has the edge on defense, and he could score, but Gordan is better offensively. This one is about even.

Benches: K. Giltner, A, Smith, T. Martin, D. Rinksalis, N. Parker, D. Crowell for 2010-11
J. Allen, CJ Neumann, J. Swinton, D. Brooks, C. Jackson for 2014-15

This is very close. Jaylen Allen and Kevin Giltner are both great sixth men tht can hit the 3. an edge to Jayln just for defense and athleticism though. The older team had no shortage of inside guys- Terry Martin and Drew Crowell were solid backups. Aerris Smith was jsut a freshman seeing limited plying time. Rinksalis was somewhat of a disappointment. CJ Neumann and Cam Jackson are a very talented duo and despite the fewer numbers, I would give the current team the slight edge with inside backups. Nathan Parker turned out to be a tragic story as he transferred after the 2010-11 season. But he was further along in his development in 2010-11 than Brooks currently is now. Overall, the current team has a bit better bench.

This woud be a very intense series. It would be hard played and chippy at times. Points may well be at a premium. I think you'd have 60-55 type games. Current team wins it in seven games. Cochran might wel prove to the the biggest difference maker.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 pm

I think this is an interesting idea (Brad slightly over EG, Cochran strong over Diggs [better comparison IMHO than KC vs. Rundles since Diggs was a great defender], Collins slightly over Rundles, Dahlman strong over Skinner [I love Lee but Noah was so fundamentally sound- there's a reason he's the benchmark for all-time Wofford great in the post. I would have Lee about even with Tim Johnson, perhaps slight edge to Skinner], and Johnson slight edge over Gordon). That said, I think our bench is vastly improved over previous years and that's what makes us so dangerous this year. Allen is better than Giltner, Neumann is better than Martin, and while Parker was a nice energy guy with athletic bounce, I think the overall skill level, albeit different for Cam Jackson (POST for Cam vs SF for Parker), is similar enough to call that a push.

One thing to remember though is the 2010-2011 team had 4 seniors and a junior in Loesing starting whereas our current team has 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophomore so there's still potential for significant future growth for our current squad while the 2010-2011 team had pretty much topped out. So it's a bit of apples to oranges comparison in that regard.

Looking back, I'm almost wistful of what might have been should some of our recruits panned out. I feel confident our program wouldn't have taken a step back in 2011-2013 if players like Josh Corry, Nate Parker and, to a lesser extent, Jarell Byrd had panned out to provide us with more offense. They would've eliminated the gap between Dahlman & Co. and today's squad. I'm not saying we'd have won SoCon titles those years but we would probably have won 20+ games those years and been in the conversation. Alas, what could have been. Makes you that much more appreciative of our current team, and especially the seniors that have made it work all 4 years.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:49 pm

A little bit of friendly trash talk last night on Twitter between Johnson, Rundles and Diggs and Cochran led to this Tweet
Tim Johnson ‏@CoachTJohnson 20h20 hours ago
The 2010 Terriers vs. The 2015 Terriers. This Fall before everyone goes back over the water. We will settle this once and for all!!

Thom Henson and others responded that this really needs to happen. Would be amazing and could be made into some kind of charity event with fans I think.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Hobo wrote:Thom Henson and others responded that this really needs to happen. Would be amazing and could be made into some kind of charity event with fans I think.

That would be a great event. I'd love to see that.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
Hobo wrote:Thom Henson and others responded that this really needs to happen. Would be amazing and could be made into some kind of charity event with fans I think.

That would be a great event. I'd love to see that.

Maybe Mike Young should be the "charity"' considering how underpaid many consider him to be. I'm kind of in jest here, but not totally.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball