Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mike Young accepts Liberty University HC position

Postby Terrier13 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:32 pm

April Fools!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mike Young accepts Liberty University HC position

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Man, my heart sank to my feet when I saw this topic!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Apparently Liberty did hire someone today though- Ritchie McKay, an assistant on Tony Bennett's staff at UVA. I was secretly hoping he would be available if MY were to be hired away since UVA plays a defense-first style like we do http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/04/01/ritchie-mckay-leaves-virginia-to-return-to-liberty-as-head-basketball-coach/?wprss=rss_sports
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 pm

He was on the CoC short list last year as I recall.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:40 am

As an aside here, USA Today just printed the salaries for all coaches in the tourney. MY dead last at $161,043. Not sure any of us would blame him if he left for more. Interestingly, the mighty Bob McKillop brings in about $380k. Its an interesting list to say the least.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:14 am

Yikes- here's the link for folks: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/. I'd imagine we're gonna have to improve on that by a decent amount with his next contract if we want to keep him. I'm amazed what some of these other small schools are paying their coaches though.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:10 am

Atldog7 wrote:As an aside here, USA Today just printed the salaries for all coaches in the tourney. MY dead last at $161,043. Not sure any of us would blame him if he left for more. Interestingly, the mighty Bob McKillop brings in about $380k. Its an interesting list to say the least.

Of course, McKillop is also receiving the salaries that would have been spent for a real football team.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am

Apparently Gregg Marshall turned down Bama to stay with the Shockers. Who's up next for the Crimson Tide? I'm somewhat hoping that teams will overlook Wofford's success when looking for a new head coach, just like Arkansas overlooked us heading into the tourney. It's a big step up to being HC at a large university (more media obligations, sponsorships/endorsements, etc.) from a school the size of Wofford. While I whole-heartedly believe MY would be successful at the next level, I hope other schools have doubts and leave him to keep building our program down in Spartanburg.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:55 am

Terrier13 wrote:Apparently Gregg Marshall turned down Bama to stay with the Shockers. Who's up next for the Crimson Tide? I'm somewhat hoping that teams will overlook Wofford's success when looking for a new head coach, just like Arkansas overlooked us heading into the tourney. It's a big step up to being HC at a large university (more media obligations, sponsorships/endorsements, etc.) from a school the size of Wofford. While I whole-heartedly believe MY would be successful at the next level, I hope other schools have doubts and leave him to keep building our program down in Spartanburg.

I suspect Gregg Marshall will eventually leave Witchita, but for a basketball school, either a school with no football, or weak football (like Duke). In his last two jobs, he has been The Man. At Bama, he wouldn't be on a level anywhere near Saban.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am

Shaka Smart to Texas?

Would Mike be a candidate at VCU?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby OLDMAIN80 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:34 am

dude wrote:Shaka Smart to Texas?

Would Mike be a candidate at VCU?

I've been wondering the same thing .
OLDMAIN80
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm

He would be on the list but I would put money on Will Wade, a former Shaka protege, to possibly land that job. He already knows the school and some of their players as well. Tuoyo transferred to Chatty from VCU to be with Wade.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Terrier13 wrote: It's a big step up to being HC at a large university (more media obligations, sponsorships/endorsements, etc.) from a school the size of Wofford.

In many ways it's harder to be HC at a small college than at a large university, due to tighter recruiting budgets, less administrative and assistant support, and generally fewer resources while competing against those with more. Our coaches are outstanding and do a superior job; they do it the old fashioned way, with integrity and hard work.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:28 pm

On the comparative pay question, I know it is the job of the AD at any school to get as much as he can for the least amount possible, but at the same time, historically, when jobs open up they are almost always replaced at a higher (sometimes substantially higher) pay rate. We all know that resources are tighter at Wofford than most outsiders think, but it doesn't seem logical to lose a successful coach over money and then turn around and hire someone for more than the successful guy was making. If Coach Young does move on, I hope it is for a bigger challenge and not because we didn't compensate him fairly and then give his replacement the money he should have gotten.

If we've learned nothing else its that basketball is a serious money and exposure driver and we can't afford to let our men's basketball program go backwards. If Wofford did have to conduct a search, I think it is likely the hunt would be quick and center either on someone currently on campus (Kerns) or someone with knowledge of our program/culture (Harrison, maybe Allen). I'd like to think our job would be desirable to a certain sector of coaches.

When Coach Young transitioned into this job, he likely wouldn't have been hired at any other D-I school in America and for the first 5-6 years of his tenure he probably would have been let go at many other places. Richard Johnson and Wofford stuck with Coach Young when almost everyone else probably wouldn't have and the result of that loyalty has been amazing for everyone. While I know Coach Young recognizes and appreciates this, it would be naive to expect that to hold him here forever. But, what it does give Wofford is the knowledge that it would take a perfect opportunity to pull him away and it wouldn't be without considerable thought. While that would be tough for everyone, I am mindful that Wofford's job is now lightyears more desirable than it was and that the quality of those interested in stepping into the position is much better for the stewardship Mike Young has shown our program.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:11 pm

sounds like Will Wade is leaving Chatty and returning to VCU