UNCC Looking at coach young?

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: UNCC Looking at coach young?

Postby youngterrier on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I honestly don't see how you can say the Socon is worse this year given the departures. I'm no basketball expert or expert on the history of socon basketball, but App State and GSU were both inconsistent throughout their program history. I don't think GSU ever won a championship, App State won 2. College of Charleston only won the Socon once, not in the past 15 years. Elon never made it to the NCAA tournament and never won a socon championship.

Basically, with the departures, we lost Davidson and that's bad, but as a basketball conference, it's not a terrible thing. We lost programs that won a grand total of 15 socon tournament championships. The problem is, 12 of them were won by one team.

Now, look at what we replace those teams with: Mercer, ETSU, and VMI. We brought back programs that had won 9 conference tournament championships in the socon, and then Mercer who had won 1. That's also not including ETSU's 2 championships in A-Sun.

Now, it's also clear that ETSU and Mercer are basketball schools. Maybe Mercer develops into a football school, but I think both of their football programs are at least 5 years away from being the staple of the college. App State and GSU obviously emphasized football, and no one is really sure what Elon is all about, but I think overall the basketball in the Socon is at no worse than the same level as it's traditionally been.

If Wofford makes noise this year and wins another socon championship in the next couple years, arguably Wofford's replaced Davidson as the power of the conference. Davidson won 12 Socon tournaments over the course of 61 years (47 between the first and last), Wofford has won 4 in 6 over the course of less than 20.

So, with that in mind, you have to look at the consistency of the rest of the conference, and I think in spite of their being less teams the overall consistency of the conference is going better going forward as Mercer + ETSU+Mercer> App State + GSU+Elon
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:36 pm

I think that Mike's decision, if offered new opportunities, might come down to things like:

**Is the pay just too much to turn down?
**Does he think he can reach the Final Four there (or some other level of success, excitement, respect, glory, etc. unlikely at Wofford)?
**Are there factors such as geography (a cool city, beautiful part of the country, quality of life, etc.) that would encourage or discourage a move?

Otherwise, he has a pretty darn good situation at Wofford. After the first two NCAA Tournament teams, I think it might have been reasonable to view Wofford as a flash in the pan. Even Mike might have thought it would be tough to get back to the tournament any time soon again and figured he should maybe move on while there was a chance.

But, at this point, his program at Wofford is in a great position. With the new arena and with the talent he has in the program and coming next year (though who knows exactly how players will develop, of course), I think he has things set up for sustained success. It might not have looked that way 3 years ago, but I think it does now.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:46 pm

If Will Wade leaves UTC, I think that might almost encourage MY to stick around. While an expected SoCon contender next year, UTC would probably be weaker without Coach Wade and it gives MY better chances at going for a 3-peat(!) Maybe a small reason but those small reasons can add up quickly. But I agree with Dude's post in its entirety.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 pm

All I know is that he was literally MINUTES away from being CoC's coach in September. Minutes.
He wanted that job and would have had it easily but for a strange twist of fate. Don't kid yourselves: there are plenty of jobs out there he would take.
I hope he doesn't leave but I don't see how he stays when someone with a higher profile and a fatter wallet comes calling. Too much money in the game for that not to happen. He has earned it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Agreed, Ruckus. If the right situation came along...
Wofford certainly wasn't a basketball school until maybe the last couple of years. This year should be a real eye opener for all in the administration. Our attendance at basketball games far outstripped football. We almost got to a situation in which we could expect 2,500-3,000 at a game. With a good team next year and a real push for season ticket sales who knows what the attendance could be in the new arena. With a consistent winner it looks like basketball could actually carry the athletic program. I don't know what we are paid to play Big 5 programs at their place in basketball, but we can do it 5-7 times each year. We can't get them to come to our place, but they get full credit for playing us-as opposed to the football games. Some Big 5 leagues are talking about not playing football anymore against FCS teams. There's no crystal ball, but those at the top surely are looking at where the two major revenue sports are headed. Do you think Davidson believes they did the right thing in leaving the SOCON and going to the A 10? You betcha! I agree that we are probably stronger in basketball than we were with the ones that left. GSU had a pretty good basketball season as did Davidson, but the others were pretty bad. Mercer, ETSU and VMI were far better than ASU, Elon and CofC. If the SoCon teams raise their out of conference schedules to a higher level we may become a multi bid league. We just have to prove that we deserve it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Ruckus wrote:All I know is that he was literally MINUTES away from being CoC's coach in September. Minutes.
He wanted that job and would have had it easily but for a strange twist of fate. Don't kid yourselves: there are plenty of jobs out there he would take.
I hope he doesn't leave but I don't see how he stays when someone with a higher profile and a fatter wallet comes calling. Too much money in the game for that not to happen. He has earned it.

He is very lucky the CofC job didn't go through, things are not well-run in the Holy City.
The Cougars are still living off of the Kresse legacy.

I have little doubt he would leave for a substantially upgraded job. I suspect he will follow the path of Greg Marshall, who backed out of the CofC and took a much better job at Wichita State. I just hope we can keep the program's momentum going as we move forward.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 am

MY may go but it will not be to UNCC. They have apparently hired Mark Price.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm

The coaching carousel has cranked up again. HC jobs open at Alabama, Arizona State, and maybe Indiana among others. Rumor has it Alabama is willing to open the bank for Marshall at $2-$3 million a year. But the cherry in that bunch is UI.
If Marshall moves on, does Wichita St. come calling MY?
I have friends in the college basketball coaching circles who say you never move from the best job in your conference unless you get the best job in the next conference you go to. I believe MY has the best job in the SoCon right now: supportive AD/Admin, supreme job security, good community support, big trend upward in program, better recruiting climate, higher profile, new state of the art arena coming on board soon, etc. Although the money is not very lucrative, it's not terrible. This gives me some comfort that unless the right job comes along, MY won't likely be chasing every open spot. But the WS job would be tough to turn down, especially with MY's connections to Marshall.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:15 am

What am I missing? Why does Mark Price, obviously an up and coming prize coach, go to UNCC? It just seems to be a mundane hyphenated commuter college located outside Charlotte with not much support in a state with 5 or 6 other universities that are MUCH higher profile. I just don't get it. Price could have gone many places including the pros. Seems like a graveyard of basketball coaches to me. I never would have expected Mike Young to go there. They could have flashes of erratic brilliance, but to build a long term program just seems highly unlikely.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 am

boulder3m wrote:What am I missing? Why does Mark Price, obviously an up and coming prize coach, go to UNCC? It just seems to be a mundane hyphenated commuter college located outside Charlotte with not much support in a state with 5 or 6 other universities that are MUCH higher profile. I just don't get it. Price could have gone many places including the pros. Seems like a graveyard of basketball coaches to me. I never would have expected Mike Young to go there. They could have flashes of erratic brilliance, but to build a long term program just seems highly unlikely.

UNCC had a great run 20 years ago or so, but has faltered since then. The most popular team in Charlotte has long been UNC-Chapel Hill, and that isn't going to change anytime soon. UNCC will remain secondary to the Tarheels and the Hornets. C-USA is a shadow of it's former self, and is basically a manifestation of the 1990's Sun Belt conference.

I wonder if Mike Price has some sort of string ties to stay in Charlotte.

Coming from a small private school, I wonder if Mike Young might be a better fit for an A-10 school than Witchita State.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball