UNCC Looking at coach young?

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

UNCC Looking at coach young?

Postby Art Vandalay on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am

Saw this in the Charlotte paper this morning. Coach, just say no thanks. You would be working at a commuter school with Judy rose for a boss. The money isn't worth it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 34285.html
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Re: UNCC Looking at coach young?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 pm

They can look at him all they want but they can't have him. The UNCC program would be at best a lateral move from Wofford. I'm pretty sure we could beat them on the court right now.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Over on the UNCC fan site, most folks there think Will Wade from UTC already has the job. Could this be the reason UTC isn't playing post season?
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm not implying anything because I certainly am not in the know, but everything I've seen in the Charlotte Observer seems to be a columnist telling UNCC they ought to talk to Young, not reporting that they are talking to or targeting Young. Obviously, this columnist has come to realize what we've known for years; that Mike Young is a heck of a basketball coach.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 pm

I think one of the things Wofford has going for them when it comes to coach young is that he isn't a young guy. Programs want a coach that can win now, yes, but they also want one for the long haul. That's why UTC's coach is a little bit hotter of a commodity right now I think.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 pm

I have no delusions that we can keep Mike Young long-term, but if (when) he leaves, it will be to move up the ladder, likely to an A-10 or MVC school, possibly a CAA school, but the CAA is now a one-bid league.

UNCC is in Conference USA, which in the current era is really just a rebranded version of the SunBelt. C-USA is no longer a basketball power.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:28 am

Charlotte Observer has turned into Mike Young's marketing dept.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 72714.html
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:06 am

According to the article, losing ASU, GSU, C of C, Elon. And Davy made "a bad basketball league even worse", which makes the whole article a backhanded compliment to Young's achievements.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:32 am

One thing that jumped out at me is MY's reported salary - $171K!! That's MUCH more than what I thought WC would throw towards basketball. MA must be making more than that as Football HC.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:32 pm

I would hate to see Coach Y leave. However, he has brought us so far and next year will be at least a re-tooling year and if a great opp. comes calling I think he ought to look at it hard.

I personally feel that if the right situation avails itself and the salary is in range of 400-500K I think Mike should take it.

However, Mr. Richardson might intervene as he did with Coach Ayers and Coach Young's package at Wofford go to like 250K and he would decide to stay. That could happen as well. I do not believe coach Y will ever be loved and revered at another school as he is at Woffy, and that cannot be bought with any amount of cash.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:36 pm

WoCo65 wrote:One thing that jumped out at me is MY's reported salary - $171K!! That's MUCH more than what I thought WC would throw towards basketball. MA must be making more than that as Football HC.

I doubt it. What I've heard from reliable sources is MA spreads most of his proposed pay increases over his staff in order to provide them a more comfortable living and to retain them.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm

I think you guys underestimate MY. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that he would go to UNCC, or any other smaller mid-major program. If Wichita St, or a mid-major similar to it were to be offered, that might be a different story. I feel his love for Wofford is very close to ours as alums. It would have to be the ideal situation for him to leave, and I don't think that UNCC is ideal. Just my 2 cents.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

BigJohn94 wrote:I think you guys underestimate MY. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that he would go to UNCC, or any other smaller mid-major program. If Wichita St, or a mid-major similar to it were to be offered, that might be a different story. I feel his love for Wofford is very close to ours as alums. It would have to be the ideal situation for him to leave, and I don't think that UNCC is ideal. Just my 2 cents.

+1.
Coach Young is in a great place, as is his family; we love him, he loves us. And it is only getting better here. He has something guys like Pitino and Calipari will never have: enough.

And btw, we have a chance to be every bit as good next year as this year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:19 pm

lawdog wrote:
BigJohn94 wrote:I think you guys underestimate MY. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that he would go to UNCC, or any other smaller mid-major program. If Wichita St, or a mid-major similar to it were to be offered, that might be a different story. I feel his love for Wofford is very close to ours as alums. It would have to be the ideal situation for him to leave, and I don't think that UNCC is ideal. Just my 2 cents.

+1.
Coach Young is in a great place, as is his family; we love him, he loves us. And it is only getting better here. He has something guys like Pitino and Calipari will never have: enough.

And btw, we have a chance to be every bit as good next year as this year.

I think you're spot on Lawdog and Big John. These writers at the Observer don't understand what we have in Spartanburg.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:51 pm

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him jump if someone from the A10 or CAA (or even a Power 5 conference) showed up. I've heard the Athletic Department is willing to match an offer he might get but there's obviously a limit to how high we can go. At the age of 51, I could see him trying to cap off his career with a ~10+ year stint at another school before calling it quits. Supposedly he was a bit hesitant to sign an extension before but now he's more open to it. This is all second & third hand, so take it with a grain or two of salt.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball