2014-15 season

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2014-15 season

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm

lawdog wrote:No Terriers on any first, second, or third SoCon all-conference teams, or all-freshman team.

And definitely not for coach of the year. After yet another stinky winky season, it is past time to find us another Mike Young to lead the women's basketball program. We have had some good players come through; it is mostly the coach's fault they have never won many games here.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Mercer 75
Wofford 54

SoCon game highlights clip showed the Lady Terriers turning the ball over a couple times on cross court passes which led to layups. The size difference among Lady T players vs. Mercer was really noticeable on the computer screen.

Concur with Terrier-nation comments about the team's future.
WoCo NH Dude

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 am

These are young ladies with potential. They are not the most talented team in the league, but they are much better than this, and they deserve better. And there is no reason why we cannot be competitive in the SoCon. It is a shame.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:34 am

lawdog wrote:These are young ladies with potential. They are not the most talented team in the league, but they are much better than this, and they deserve better. And there is no reason why we cannot be competitive in the SoCon. It is a shame.

+1
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:39 am

When will Wofford make a change? The players deserve a chance at a new direction.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

The current team leadership has been in place eleven years, but the performance of this year's team (8-22) was as poor as any. They have essentially been cellar dwellers, year in and year out. Their losses have generally been by wide margins; 20+ turnover games have been routine. Generally speaking, the players and team chemistry have not trended upward; quite the opposite. I have seen them play, and while they sometimes play hard, they often do not play with great intelligence, consistency, or confidence, which is for the coach to determine. That "exciting signee" has not arisen. There should have been some serious momentum that transferred from the men's program, but not so. Noah Dahlman, Brad Loesing, or their ilk could fix that. By comparison, look at the women's soccer, volleyball, tennis, and track/cross country programs, which have competed with increasing success. The lady roundballers deserve the same, now.
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:55 pm

Gomocs wrote: You can be a SoCon team and compete with non-All Americans. You mentioned Tennessee and Stanford. We, Chattanooga, beat them both this year and have beaten Tennessee two of the last three times. Yet, none of our girls were All American in high school, nor were they even recruited by the power conferences. Coaching. Yes, coaching does matter.

Lord knows if Chatt can be top 20 year in and year out, we can be something better than the league's whipping boy ... er, girl. There are many great high school girl players out there who don't earn three stars, and we can have success with them (look at our men).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:45 pm

When Dr. Samhat announced the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, he said it would be the home of our "Women's and Men's Basketball Teams" - in that order. Maybe he was just being politically correct, but I would hope he has greater plans for the women's team.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm

walliver wrote:When Dr. Samhat announced the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, he said it would be the home of our "Women's and Men's Basketball Teams" - in that order. Maybe he was just being politically correct, but I would hope he has greater plans for the women's team.

I'm willing to bet that was PC but that's my opinion
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm

I don't think anyone expects championships every season out of the women's basketball program, but competitiveness is reasonable. I also think building a program takes time, but we have applied time to this equation and the results are the same and the trend is negative. Time for a new equation. Question is whether Wofford is willing to stomach the unpleasant task of making a change here. Time will tell, but accepting mediocrity becomes a cancer in any program. How long until other motivated coaches start to think they can get by with less effort and poorer results because they see certain coaches getting away with it?
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:50 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I don't think anyone expects championships every season out of the women's basketball program, but competitiveness is reasonable. I also think building a program takes time, but we have applied time to this equation and the results are the same and the trend is negative. Time for a new equation. Question is whether Wofford is willing to stomach the unpleasant task of making a change here. Time will tell, but accepting mediocrity becomes a cancer in any program. How long until other motivated coaches start to think they can get by with less effort and poorer results because they see certain coaches getting away with it?

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt a coaching change is going to be made. I just don't see them firing anybody. This coach will continue to collect a paycheck from Wofford and not put forth any effort to get good players, improve those players, improve this program, and win basketball games. He is content with the status quo of losing as long as that check comes, and the Wofford athletic department seems content to let him continue doing what he does. With the recent improvents in baseball, women's soccer, and volleyball this is easily the worst progrm on campus. The problem is not enough people care.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Our student athletes are not here because they put athletics first. They are here because they have athletic ability and skills, and enjoy the game and want to have success with it, but Wofford sports is first about the academic opportunity afforded by the scholarship. They believe, rightly, that Wofford offers an academic environment and opportunity well above the norm. Is it fair, then, to these student athletes to allow them to languish on a sports team that is perennially far below the norm and fails to come close to developing and nourishing their athletic skills and aspirations on par with their development on the academic side? Resoundingly, no. Dealing intelligently with a sport team that fails this badly on a routine basis is part of running a successful college. Would we have tolerated this in football? Men's basketball?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:21 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:
Eyes of Old Main wrote:I don't think anyone expects championships every season out of the women's basketball program, but competitiveness is reasonable. I also think building a program takes time, but we have applied time to this equation and the results are the same and the trend is negative. Time for a new equation. Question is whether Wofford is willing to stomach the unpleasant task of making a change here. Time will tell, but accepting mediocrity becomes a cancer in any program. How long until other motivated coaches start to think they can get by with less effort and poorer results because they see certain coaches getting away with it?

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt a coaching change is going to be made. I just don't see them firing anybody. This coach will continue to collect a paycheck from Wofford and not put forth any effort to get good players, improve those players, improve this program, and win basketball games. He is content with the status quo of losing as long as that check comes, and the Wofford athletic department seems content to let him continue doing what he does. With the recent improvents in baseball, women's soccer, and volleyball this is easily the worst progrm on campus. The problem is not enough people care.

I've got a feeling Coach farmer cares, but I also believe this job is way above his ability as a coach and motivator. A change is needed.

I remember a Wofford women's coach some years back who wanted to take scholarships from unproductive players, and RJ would have nothing to do with it. He left, and the result is what we have today. I will not pretend to know what the right steps are, but this program is abysmal.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am

We could be doing something like this. We could have the ladies team that plays smart, together, and with consistency. http://www.news-record.com/news/columns ... 6682f.html

Why not US? We are already committing the necessary resources; why not also provide leadership?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:

I've got a feeling Coach farmer cares, but I also believe this job is way above his ability as a coach and motivator. A change is needed.

I remember a Wofford women's coach some years back who wanted to take scholarships from unproductive players, and RJ would have nothing to do with it. He left, and the result is what we have today. I will not pretend to know what the right steps are, but this program is abysmal.

I would agree with that coach. If a player is not holding up her end of the deal in the scholarship by not being as productive on the court as she was counted on to be, then the coach and school has every right not to renew that scholarship the next year. Unfortunately, RJ did not agree. That might have something to do with why we can't get a good coach for this program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Basketball