JohnMoc1
True Terrier Fan

Re: Scanning the SoCon

Postby JohnMoc1 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:01 pm

JohnMoc1
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Mike Young plainly deserved COY (as others have recognized). First, he did not have the most physically imposing or talented players. However, he molded the group he had into a great unit that loved to play unselfishly together and that specialized in the "dirty work" of playing great D. Having only two league losses was an outstanding achievement. He is also an outstanding representative of the school and league; he has his priorities in order and does it the right way. He has worked hard at his craft over the years, and has become one of the best college basketball coaches in the U.S.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby JohnMoc1 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm going to make the same case I made the other day-

Wofford was picked first and most expected them to win the league. They did. Wofford won the league a year ago and returned virtually everyone.

Chattanooga was picked second and they finished second.

Mercer lost their entire starting lineup from a year ago, switched leagues, and still managed to finish third.

It was a pretty weak year picking a coach of the year. Everyone pretty much achieved what was expected. Very close vote between the three listed.

The thing that got Young is the same thing that Davidson fans used to complain about McKillop. They thought he should win it every year but got hurt because preseason expectations were that his teams would be good. It's not an unusual thing to see that kind of thing in a Coach of the Year vote.

I'm not saying that I agree, but it does actually make sense...
JohnMoc1
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball