Superlatives

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Superlatives

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 pm

With the regular season coming to an end and a week before our guys have to play again, it may be fun to think about some superlative awards. While it virtually goes without saying, only the team itself knows who deserves the accolades. However, we're fans, and it is fun to talk about who we think deserves the awards. So here are a few ideas: 1) Most Improved 2) Unsung hero 3) Future star 4) Most heart 5) Guy you want in your foxhole
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Superlatives

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm

1) Most Improved Hard to say but close between Newman and Gordon.
2) Unsung hero CJ Newman
how many games did he make clutch rebounds or tip it back to one of the guards at a crucial point or make clutch baskets ?
3) Future star Hard to chose between Brooks and Jackson but give slight edge to Jackson with honorable mention to Jaylen Allen. Also unknown of Sawvell
4) Most heart With a broken jaw wired shut and hurt ankle and still playing hands down Garcia
5) Guy you want in your foxhole Hard to chose because they are all such good character guys. But probably I would give the slight edge to either Garcia or Skinner or Swinton. But the other guys are high quality too so not a knock on any of them

And to add one although this has already been discussed at least once
6) Leader of the team
or the one guy that keeps the team from coming unglued
A tough one. It has been said that Skinner is the leader. But how about Garcia or Cochran ? Garcia because he is the starting PG and handles the offense so well rarely turning it over and does not seem to get rattled.
Loyalterrier

Postby youngterrier on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 pm

1) Gordon
2) Neumann
3) Jackson
4) Lee Skinner
5) Lee Skinner

(I'm biased because Lee Skinner is my favorite player because of his heart)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 pm

I would certainly give Swinton some consideration for #1 and 2. I would have to guess that Cam Jackson is going to be a tremendous force before he finishes. Eric is the logical choice for most heart, but Lee Skinner is undersized for his position and has to go up against some big guys game in and out. Then how about Cochran being the leading rebounder and shot blocker? It takes a lot of heart to do that as an undersized 2 guard. In my foxhole I would take almost all these guys, because they have bought into the "TEAM" concept and would give it all for their teammates. LT, I guess it was the preseason youtube video that led me to believe that Lee is the leader. Lee leads with his play and his talk; while Karl leads with his game and John Swinton proves that being a walk on doesn't matter if you are willing to sacrifice all for the team. I would hate to have to do these awards if it were for real. The real question may be "who on this team isn't deserving of an award?"
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:02 pm

1) Gordon
2) Collins (very consistent offensive stats night in and night out; plays good solid D); Swinton and Newman close seconds.
3) Jackson with Allen as close second.
4) Tie: Skinner and Garcia
5) Tie: Skinner and Garcia and Swinton

Maybe the only Wofford team I have ever seen that could win on ugly shooting nights, like today.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:57 pm

1) Collins
2) Neumann
3) Gordon
4) Garcia
5) Lee Skinner
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 pm

1) Gordon for Most Improved
2) Collins for Unsung Hero (EG is second- our offense just flows more smoothly when he's on the floor)
3) Cam Jackson for future star- I wish he had gotten more minutes this year because I think he's gonna be really good, especially on the offensive end. The knock on him has been his difficulty playing defense but he'll pick that up with an offseason in the system.
4) EG for Most Heart after the injuries he's overcome
5) Skinner in my foxhole (Karl has superior talent but if I need a bucket on a given possession, I'm feeding it to Skinner in the post. He either gets the bucket or gets fouled and can knock down the free throws. Free throw shooting is the big thing that Gordon needs to work on this offseason to really take his game to the next level because his athleticism is off the charts).
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:13 am

1) Most Improved - Gordon, Neumann, Skinner, Cochran, Collins, individually for their improved skills and confidence as the season progressed, but especially collectively, due to the way they really took team play/defense/unselfishness to a new level in our history. This year it has been about synergy.
2) Unsung Hero - Swinton, because he gave us exactly what we had to have in moments of great need; Allen because he did the same.
3) Future Star - Jackson and Brooks, and watch out for McKnight and Sawvell.
4) Most Heart - Garcia, for his heroic play with an injured jaw, without any complaint whatsoever.
5) Foxhole - Garcia, Cochran, Skinner.
6) Leader - Skinner, Cochran, Garcia.

Hard not to mention Coach Young and the outstanding staff that worked so well together. Really outstanding group.

And we would be remiss if we do not give a shout out to Hauser, Henson, and Shaunessy, who do a better job of covering a college basketball program than anyone else we know.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball