What's your Socon bracket look like?

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

What's your Socon bracket look like?

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:42 pm

I think right now it's safe to say that the top 3 seeds are going to be Wofford, Chattanooga, and Mercer in that order, I can say with a degree of confidence that ETSU and Western are probably going to be the 4/5. The 6th seed will be interesting, and I don't even know what will happen with the 7-10 seed.

Based upon how we play, I would prefer VMI and Samford to be either the 6th or the 7th seed. Ideally, UNCG would be 10th, but that's not going to happen (they're pounding Furman by about 30 right now).

We matchup best against Citadel, Furman, and Western Carolina, so those are the teams I would like to see on our side of the bracket. ETSU and samford are teams that kind of scare me, but i think we can handle them. VMI I just don't want to play at all, so I hope they win one more game, putting them at the other side of the bracket.

I would really like it if talking terriers or Johnmoc could give us a write up about the bracket seeding scenarios before this week so we know what to look for.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: What's your Socon bracket look like?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:51 pm

As mentioned, we pretty much know the top 5 seeds. VMI is two games ahead for the sixth seed. Furman will probably finish last. 7-9 are Samford, UNCG and The Citadel in some order- who knows what that order will be right now? I hope Samford is 7th since we will likely play the 8-9 winner as the 1 seed.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Remaining games:

VMI: Chattanooga, Samford
The Citadel: ETSU, WCU
Samford: @UNCG, @VMI
UNCG: Samford, Chattanooga
Furman: WCU, Wofford

We want Samford to win at UNCG.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby JohnMoc1 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:16 pm

VMI can still catch ETSU or Western Carolina fairly easily....only one game back, tiebreaker goes to VMI over ETSU if Keydets wins out.
JohnMoc1
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

I really really don't think we're going to lose to Furman. I know they're better than their record, but i just don't see it happening.

So, this is my prognostication. Obviously, the top seeds are Wofford, UTC, and Mercer

I think it's safe to say, with us beating Furman in mind, that Samford is more likely going to be on our side of the bracket as the 8th or 9th seed. They just can't finish higher than 8th. You can check me on this of course, but if Samford and Furman are tied, it'll go to Samford because of tie-breakers (namely, they both split ETSU, and Samford swept WCU). If the citadel loses Saturday, Samford clinches the 9th seed. But if Citadel wins and UNCG loses, Samford gets the 8th seed, but it doesn't mean much because they'll play in the same game against either UNCG or Citadel anyway.

so that's the main question for Samford (UNCG or Citadel?).

For ETSU and Western, if either of them win they clinch their 4/5 seed. I think ETSU has a 4/5 seed locked, because if they lose, they swept Western and in a tie-breaking situation that helps them against VMI (they also beat Mercer). The only scenario by which Western loses out of the 4/5 game is if VMI wins and BOTH ETSU and Western lose (not a huge if tbh), as Western would have the worst record head to head with VMI&ETSU

If VMI loses, they play themselves out of the 4/5 seed, and if they lose while Greensboro wins, they play themselves out of the 6 seed as well. With that said, they'll finish no better than 5th and no worse than 7th.

in the case of the Citadel, their either going to finish 7th or 8th

UNCG is the spoiler, they can finish as good as 6th, however they logically can't finish 7th, but they could finish 8th or 9th.

So, with all of this in mind, I think we root for UNCG and Samford, because if they win, that's pretty much all that shakes up the bracket as it'll be:

Wofford vs Samford/Citadel

ETSU/Western

Chatty vs Furman/VMI

Merver vs UNCG

I like having UNCG, VMI, Mercer, and Chattanooga on the other side of the bracket. Samford, as we've noted is scary, but they've been swept by the Citadel before and I would rather face those 4 before the final (especially considering we match up really well against Western and Citadel) than the other side of the bracket
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks for figuring this out for us YT! Always nice to have a knowledgeable rooting interest for the games on Saturday.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball