The freshmen

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The freshmen

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:45 pm

How would you rate the progess and potential of our two freshmen players Derrick Brooks and Cameron Jackson? Due to us having many proven veteran players, these guys saw limited minutes this year. So obviously neither of them is going to win SoCon freshman of the year, but I like what I saw. Cam seems to be the farther along of the two. He has a nice touch around the basket and is a solid free throw shooter for a big man. The "Big Cheese", as he is called, may be on his way to being one of Wofford's best big guys ever. He is big and strong with a soft touch- I like him a lot and the sky's the limit for his potential. Derrick Brooks sometimes presses and tries too hard I think. Experience will solve a lot of this. And I think he will spend a couple of more years behind Eric Garcia at the point in all probability and may basically be the main replacement for Swinton next year. Derrick has gotten much better at running the offense as the season has gone along, so he is learning and progressing. But he has struggled shooting the ball- some of this comes from his pressing. He has shown good athleticism and an ability to drive to the basket, though, where he could score himself or draw defenders and kick it out to an open teammate. Even if Derrick doesn't become a big scorer, he will be a dependable guy to have running our offense. We also have Larry McKnight Jr., a nice sized 6'4" guard who redshirted this year that is supposed to be an atheltic guy with a good touch from the outside, and transfer Ryan Savell, another big body who was a good contributer at Evansville before he became a Terrier. Th present is your main focus, but you also sometimes have to look to the future as well, and Wofford's future seems to be in solid hands despite the upcoming departure of two all time Terrier greats.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: The freshmen

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I dunno how to evaluate Freshmen at this point. I like "Big Cheese" because when he comes in he adds a spark of some sorts. In some ways he's the opposite of Lee Skinner because Lee is a very vocal guy whereas Cam is all body language. I don't think Cam will start next year, I think CJ has earned it, but Cam is going to put in some good minutes for us. I don't know about Derrick, we have a lot of point guards.

The way I see it, the starters next year are probably going to be Spencer, CJ, Justin, Eric, and Jaylen. I think Jaylen will take the "Karl" role. Backups are probably going to be Cam, Derrick, and the two guys redshirting this year. I would not be surprised if that 6'10 commitment from Wando gets some good playing time also.

the one thing we're going to miss the most next year is A) Karl's defense and B) Lee's motor. Lee is athletic, but his size puts him at a disadvantage. With that said, his leadership and heart makes him one of the best players in the league and one of the most valuable at that. We can actually survive without Karl having a huge game scoring-wise, as that's been shown this year, but we'll have to see how our defense picks up next year without him.

As we've said before, one of the things that's pleasing about the team right now is that we've built a program, not just a good team. It all starts with coach young, and as long as we have him we're in good shape. Some people think he's out the door soon, I disagree, I think he's gonna be here for a little while, since the cupboard isn't bare, we have that new arena coming in the next couple years, and the student/crowd support has been so strong this year.

If Coach young stays, we win 20 games next year. Probably not as many as we're gonna win this year (whatever number that ends up being), but i think we're still a top 3 team in the league.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:20 pm

We have a lot of good pieces coming back next year. We will be strong inside with a lot of contributing big men. I think you can give Tim Johnson a lot of credit for that. Spencer Collins could be a contender for player of the year in the conference, Garcia is the best point guard in the league, and Jaylen Allen continues to improve...the guy shoots almost 40% from three and would be my pick for the conference's "sixth man" this year. He should have a big yeaar next year as a starter. We will go 9-10 deep. We also have three highly regarded recruits coming in (two of which may redshirt). We will definitely be a SoCon contender again next season.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Well said. I would suggest that Brooks has really made strides with his confidence and skills this year and will be a bigger contributor next year than some may think; among other things, he has the chance to be a lockdown D guy.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:37 pm

I may be looking through rose colored glasses, but I think we will be even better offensively next year. We will miss Karl's defense more than most know. However, we add the two freshmen plus a couple of good redshirts. We will go 9-10 deep easily and have some real scorers. Jaylen Allen played a really good defensive game last night, and Spencer Collins will be a scorer. CJ, as a full time starter, will be a force in the league. That little kiss off the backboard by Cam was sweet; and Brooks can turn on a motor that speeds everything up. We have a few X factors that could be big helps, but we will be strong. I think the juniors in this class will pick up the leadership from this years' seniors and run with it. The future is very bright, and Mike and the staff have done a great job of putting a "Wofford System" in place that should continue to win. Actually I hate to be talking about the future, since there is so much at stake in the next couple of weeks-but it is a fact of college sports. Really proud of the seniors this year and the whole team and staff. Class all the way.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Lest we forget about our transfer that is sitting out this season. I would like to think that he will fit in nicely to the system.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:22 pm

I really like Cam and his size and skills. With the help of TJ, he could be all world for us. He needs to lose some baby fat but he is very talented and his force inside already. I would like to have seen him play a little more this year.
Brooks seems like a really good kid and has grown/matured immensely since he came into the Iona game with a little deer in headlights look. He is strong and physical but what stands out to me is his pure athleticism and explosiveness. He is so smooth and has an extra gear. His leaping ability is shockingly quick (like KC). But I wonder if his skill set fits into our offensive sets. He doesn't shoot it as well with his strengths being dribble drive penetration and getting to the rim. I'd like to see us move him to 2 and get him in pick and roll opportunities. I think using his skills will challenge our coaches to tweak our sets.
Sawvell is another enigma. 6'8" but not a traditional post up back to the basket player. His strength seemed to have been facing the basket and slashing to the rim. He will be a tough match up for a big guy but by the same token will have to body up and defend inside.
I hear McKnight will rally help us. Has nice touch and is very quick and physical on he defensive end. Losing KC's D may hurt us but I think having a guy like McKnight helps v the 6'4-'6 swing men who play inside and out. He reminds me of Junior Salters.
I like these guys because they will add some things we haven't had. The challenge will be effectively using them.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball