UNCG tonight 2-19

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

UNCG tonight 2-19

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Here's the video link; 7 pm tipoff. http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/woff ... n-02192015
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: UNCG tonight 2-19

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 pm

We look miserable out there- need Cochran to step up. Terrible defense in the first half so far and we're not running our offense. Cochran has played limited minutes for some reason.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Hauser just made the comment that Cochran appears heavily padded around the ribcage and appears to have had an injury. Not certain of what it is, but noticed him favoring it during the WCU game.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Won 77-62, overcoming 10 point halftime deficit. Hauser and Henson excellent.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Great comeback. If Karl is hurt, he sure didn't show it in the second half! What a warrior! Karl is an all-time Terrier great for sure. The only thing is, I find myself wondering what we are going to do without hm next year...I wish we had the guy for four more years! I'm glad to see us respond after a bad first half.

By the way, the way UNCG played at the end of this game made me appreciate the type of student athletes that represent Wofford College even more. The late intentional foul on Spencer by their thug A.J. White was simply inexcusable! I know it was the end of the game ad it wouldn't have mattered, but White should have been ejected. It won't happen, but he should be suspended a game- just a blatant, unsportsmanlike cheap shot, something you would NEVER see from a Wofford Terrier. The way Spencer handled it though was all class- just grinned slyly and stepped up to the line and made two. And then they kept unnecessarily fouling Eric Garcia (after HE was fouled very hard late) and just wouldn't let the gme die! SMH. I'm glad we beat these guys. Maybe we'll get the chance to whip their no football having fannies again in the tournament.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah, the fouling was unnecessary, it actually made the game look worse than it was for them.

that's all on their coach. I don't really think he's that good, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't coaching them next season
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 pm

youngterrier wrote:Yeah, the fouling was unnecessary, it actually made the game look worse than it was for them.

that's all on their coach. I don't really think he's that good, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't coaching them next season

Good point. That kind of play is often reflective of poor coaching leadership.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm sure a lot of you share my sentiment that we wish our team could play the whole game like they did the second half. Our guys scored 52 in the second half. For the game we outrebounded them-had to be all in the second half. We had double the number of assists of UNCG, and nearly half the turnovers after having so many in the first half. Here's a shout out to the referees, who did an outstanding job, IMO. They let the players play, and let the big boys bang. KC took a couple of questionable late shots, but he was really key in the run back. Since I live close to UNCG I will cut Wes Miller some slack. They have a tough system. Greensboro doesn't really support them, being a former female school and having no football team. They choose to play in the huge Greensboro Coliseum in front of tiny crowds that look even smaller. Their campus sprawls around in a fairly seedy area of town. They really don't bring much except a presence in a large metro area to the Southern Conference. There's no blame-just a tough situation. I do agree, however, that it would be fun to see the Mercer coach and UNCG coach in a close game. Good referees could have a ball trying to keep from running both of them.
Skinner and Neumann really did a job battling the big guys from UNCG. I know that Swinton, KC and Skinner will be very emotional Saturday night. I hope the others can settle them down and play a smart game. We still need to win two of the next three to get the #1 seed. It would be fun for our folks to go take over the place at Furman next Saturday.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 am

I hear what you're saying Boulder, and I have nothing against the UNCG coach. However, there is more talent on that team than their record reflects. When McCaffrey was there, before he moved on to Siena and then Iowa, UNCG was competing and recruiting well (made it to the NCAA and NIT tourneys), and their support and attendance were much better. UNCG should be able to do well again in basketball in the SoCon with the right leadership. There are more than 18,000 students there - almost three times as big as Duke.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2015/2/ ... ath=mbball Garcia getting healthier, stepped it up. Skinner and Cochrane too in second half.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:06 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 am

It's interesting that the two teams fighting for last-UNCG and Furman- appear to have pretty good talent on their respective teams. I think that, in the case of UNCG, they lack heart. They just seemed to cave when we made the run at them in the beginning of the second half. It is very hard to play defense at a pace we play it, and teams get worn down. Our key is great leadership both from the coaching staff and from the players. Coaches can do a great job of motivating, but if the players themselves don't have leaders within the team it is hard to handle the pressure of the game. It's just another example of what makes sports so great. The fans will often never know what makes a team work. I will go back to the old Dean Smith teams and one of his innovations. He created a system of leadership among the players, with freshmen coming in, and regardless of their hype and stature, they were the lowest rung of the ladder. As players moved along in the system they assumed roles of leadership on the team. By the time they were seniors they were included in decision making in issues such as scheduling practice time, restaurants on the road trips, who roomed with whom, etc. The internal leadership really made a difference. Our team reflects that type of leadership. All three of our seniors are tremendous people, as well as players. I reflect back to that video that was made before the season, showing our team all over campus, running and working out, with Lee Skinner leading them. As Coach Young has said, Lee Skinner is a guy who may not be tall enough; who may not be quick enough; who may not be a great shooter, etc. However, you can't measure the intangibles. He has a BIG heart and he wills himself and his teammates to work harder than the opposition and to refuse to quit. Does that lead back to our coaches-absolutely. They look for that type of player to recruit and then work into the team, and eventually to leadership roles. Obviously it works, and now the system is in place. I just can't imagine our guys ever giving up.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 am

I definitely think the pace of play helped is in second half. I think their bigs got tired and made some mistakes that helped us. But overall we just turned up the intensity and pressure defensively and that got us going. Karl, Garcia and Collins heating up was a direct result of our defensive effort. UNCG is not short on talent; just maybe short on some character and leadership. Their coach sure didn't appear to be much of a leader either.
Top to bottom the conference talent wise is pretty even. Some teams are a little better and some teams just play better together. There isn't a team in this conference though that we can toss out shoes on the court and sleepwalk through. Which makes the tourney so scary/interesting.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:02 pm

lawdog wrote:http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150219/ARTICLES/150219536/1088/sports?p=3&tc=pg

Talking about bruises on his face, Skinner said "Those are from getting my face rubbed down there under the basket," he said. "It happens."

Interesting quote. Love the warrior mentality from him and from Cochran, just curious who did that to Lee... Was that WCU also?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball