Socon tournament bracket

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Socon tournament bracket

Postby youngterrier on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:03 pm

With two weeks left in the regular season, I think we're seeing some separation in the Socon. Right now, I think Wofford is the favorite to win the conference for the regular season, in spite of our poor showing Thursday. Quite frankly, I see the probability of Mercer or Chattanooga dropping another game more likely than us dropping 2 games, but you never know.

Chattanooga and Mercer will fight for that second seed this coming week, and the 4th and 5th seed look pretty much locked up by ETSU and Western Carolina, as they only need to win one more game and I don't see VMI or the Citadel winning out.

that leaves the last bye or 6th seed, and I think it's going to come down to VMI or Samford (notice they are both team's last game of the season). Furman, Greensboro, and the Citadel each have to play at least 2 of the "higher" teams, and I really think Samford with only 3 games left has the highest probability of winning 2.

Ideally, from a matchup perspective, I would like to see VMI and Samford on the other side of the bracket, so perhaps I'm biased. This means, I don't want either as the 8th or 9th seed. That of course, is IF we get the first seed. the bottom is going to be harder to figure out, but we're finally getting some clarity in the conference.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Socon tournament bracket

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:15 pm

I think Samford will be higher than the eighth seed. VMI might well be 8 or 9...hopefully they'll lose. I don't want to play the Keydets again.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:15 am

Anyone know how the tiebreaker would shake out? I see is going 3-1 down the stretch, dropping one at Mercer. Assuming UTC were to win out, we'd be tied 1-1 head to head. We'd both be 1-1 against Mercer as well. Then we'd be 2-0 against both ETSU & WCU and Chatt dropped a game to Western so that would give us the nod if that's the tiebreaker protocol. I've also heard RPI could be a factor, which would obviously be in our favor. This might seem trivial but the regular season champion does get the NIT invite which would be a nice consolation were we to not win the SoCon tourney.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:12 am

Terrier13 wrote:Anyone know how the tiebreaker would shake out? I see is going 3-1 down the stretch, dropping one at Mercer. Assuming UTC were to win out, we'd be tied 1-1 head to head. We'd both be 1-1 against Mercer as well. Then we'd be 2-0 against both ETSU & WCU and Chatt dropped a game to Western so that would give us the nod if that's the tiebreaker protocol. I've also heard RPI could be a factor, which would obviously be in our favor. This might seem trivial but the regular season champion does get the NIT invite which would be a nice consolation were we to not win the SoCon tourney.

I could be wrong, but I think that in your scenario that Wofford would win the tiebreaker based on Chatty's loss to WCU, simnce WCU would be the highest standing team with a record difference between us and them. That means today's win in Cullowhee was potentially a very important one. We also have a higher RPI and have allowed fewer points a game BTW if it came down to those things. So I'm pretty sure we get it.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball