Freshman eligibility rule

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Freshman eligibility rule

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Loyalterrier

Re: Freshman eligibility rule

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:09 pm

I heard another idea on this the other day...if a school gives someone a scholly, then the scholly is in that student 's name for 4 years regardless, so if the student leaves early, then their scholly is out of play until that student's 4 years are up. All of the plans have shortcomings, but there's got to be a way to stop the one and dones?
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:19 am

Interesting idea, but it's not one that I think should happen. IMO, if the one and dones are that bad of a problem, then go the other way and just let them go to the NBA out of high school. They're only going to college because they're forced to, so just let them skip it.
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Personally I think both of those are good ideas. However, you have to remember that for the Big 5 conferences it is all about the money, and they will do whatever is necessary to protect their turf. The football and basketball programs bring in untold millions of dollars, and the recruited athletes for the most part are a very small piece of the big old pie. When you peel back the covers on those programs it is real dirty underneath.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't have a problem with guys leaving early, but I do like the rule forcing them to stay awhile. When they could jump straight from high school there were too many examples of guys waiving college eligibility and then not even being drafted. While I am not naive enough to think that many power 5 conference players are really there for the education, I think it is important for the system to protect them to the extent it can by holding them there for a period of time. I think the one and done rule has improved college basketball, has been a benefit to the players (even if they don't see it that way) and has helped the NBA by providing players more ready for that undertaking. I don't think making freshmen ineligible solves this and would rather see things go the opposite way and make it two and done.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:26 pm

I would almost prefer to see the college baseball system put in place for basketball. Either drafted straight out of high school (people like Jahlil Okafor and Andrew Wiggins have no business playing college ball) or wait 3 years before you can be drafted. There are other avenues if kids don't want to wait that long or go to class (D League or play in Europe until you're ready). The one-and-done system as it stands now though seems too much like hired guns and is pretty frustrating.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby JohnMoc1 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm

I love the idea of either drafting straight out of high school or you have to go for three years. I could deal with cutting it to two.

I've been an advocate for that both in basketball and football for a long time....
JohnMoc1
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball