2015 outlook?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2015 outlook?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:23 pm

In just a couple of weeks we'll be hearing the crack (or ping) of the bat at Russell King Field. Since we had one of our best D-1 seasons ever last year with an overall winning record (32-28) and 14 conference wins, I am looking forward to seeing what we can do for an encore. For what it's worth (not much in my opinion), the preseason Massey rankings have us rated last in the SoCon. But since no games have been played, I don't really know what this can be based on. I am sure the media and coaches will follow suit and rank us last in the conference as well. But I definitely think we'll do better than that. I think our progrm is finally strting to trend upward. This season will be a big one for seeing if we are starting to make progress or if lst year was a fluke and it's just the same old song and dance. I'd say it is time for a coaching change if it's the latter and we do indeed finish last. The opener is a week from Friday home against Boston College. Any thoughts?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2015 outlook?

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:10 am

I'm guilty of being a glass half full sort of guy when it comes to our baseball program. We have a good strong core coming back along with some good new arms...hopefully.

However...Our schedule appears to be somewhat tougher than last year. I can't say for sure how tough these teams are but historically the teams on our schedule are more competitive but here is the thing that worries me most. NCAA Baseball took steps in the off season to correct the dead ball issue in the college ranks. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that the sound of the ball coming off aluminum bats these last four of five years sounded more like a softball rather than the crack you associate with baseball. Successful programs adjusted and began recruiting speed, defense and pitching. South Carolina did this better than anyone.

Our program fell in line. We manufactured runs as well as anyone. My fear is that offense will play a much bigger role this season. Moving the runner over and stealing bases will still be important but not to the extent of the last few years. I'm not saying we won't win games but that all lies on the strength of our pitching staff which is still untested.

Having said that, a winning record in the SOCON and an overall 500 record is still attainable but will be attained only by doing it the Wofford way. We must work harder and smarter than our opponent. It will come down to effort and coaching. This is a pivotal season for Coach I.
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:35 am

http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... h=baseball
We were picked to finish near the bottom of the SoCon, but we were last year too. There are some tough games on our schedule to be sure but there are also a number of games that we really should win. I definitely think a winning record is obtainable again as well as a middle of the pack finish in the SoCon. But Peachy is right- how the season goes will depend a lot on our pitching. Of course that can probably be said about every team every year. Offense will likely be up for everyone this season, so teams whose pitching staffs are able to rise to the challenge will be the most successful. I guess I kind of understand why a lot of people are down on our team again this year. We don't exactly have a storied D-1 baseball history and relying on a lot of young arms can be very tricky and unpredictable. Hopefully these young hurlers will get some kinks out and develop some while we play some of the weaker nonconference teams on our schedule before our first conference game but still give us enough to win a lot of these games. Then by the start of conference play they will good enough to compete in a tough baseball conference. I am choosing to also see the glass as half full- I think our pitchers will work out okay. Injuries is also something we MUST avoid to be successful- with so few scholarships we are always lacking for depth.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:12 pm

I am cautiously optimistic. I think we may finally start to see an upward trend. Coach I is growing into the job. The players seems to be having more fun than in the past. Morale is better. We seem to be getting some better talent. Pitching will always be critical. Last year we avoided for the most part getting swept and even won some series. We have a much tougher schedule this year but things are looking up maybe.
I have always said that Wofford should be a place where we could (and have in the past) attract good baseball players who want a good education. I think Coach I is using our academics to get good students who qualify for academic dollars to make up for the lack of baseball money. How we account for athletic funding I have heard is being tweaked which will assist us in freeing up some dollars for baseball and soccer over the next few years. Maybe, just maybe, we are starting to turn the competitive corner. So far, it looks good. Will be interesting to see how we do this weekend v Pitt et al.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball