ETSU Round 2

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

ETSU Round 2

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:10 am

This will be interesting. Mike Young and Spencer Collins vs. Murry Bartow again, will hard feelings linger? Will ETSU employ their self-proclaimed "black press" that helped them get back into the game last weekend for 40 minutes? And will ETSU or Wofford ride the positive momentum from games tonight into this one? We had the big win vs. Mercer. ETSU played a non-conference game with NC Central and much like they did against us, they fell into a big hole then mounted a furious comeback. But this time they were able to complete the comeback and take a 3 point win. This is a game that ETSU obviously feels they want and need badly. It will be another big challenge for us. But if we play great defense again and are efficient on offence, we can and should prevail again.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: ETSU Round 2

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:33 am

One would hope that we will be better prepared now having seen their press and their potential for scoring a bunch of points quickly. Just hope we can keep our energy level up during this stretch run to the tourney. With so many "must have" games and a target on our back, it would be easy to falter ( a la El Cid game). Rest up boys and stay focused on the prize.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:35 pm

We made some stupid mistakes against the press last time we played but the press was not the only thing that got them back into the game. There were a lot of fouls called and they got something like 20 points on free throws
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Add another factor as well-Eric is back and will be even more up to speed. He is such a calming influence on the team, and can be relied upon to make the good decisions. He can take, and make, the three if they back off of him, and he will pull it back out if a play is not there. You can't overstate the value of a good point guard. We have gotten great minutes-and great wins- out of our subs, but Eric is the man. He played 35 minutes last night and showed flashes of the old Garcia. He will be key in the remainder of the season.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 am

Another big game tonight. ETSU is dangerous, as witnessed by their furious comeback against us in game one. Our guys need to take this road trip very seriously, and tonight is a key game.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

Agreed... they are all key from here on out.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:49 am

This probably doesn't belong on this thread, but here are the latest BPI rankings. It looks like we have beaten at least three teams projected in the tournament. Interestingly, we have lost to the team ranked 299! While this certainly doesn't mean anything at this stage, it is interesting to see.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tournament
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Does anyone know how quickly the replay gets loaded online? I'm wondering if I'll be able to successfully duck the score and watch it around 9:00 once the game ends since I have a prior commitment from 7:00-8:30.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:36 pm

I am hearing we have a busload of students going to the game. Good stuff from the school.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:10 pm

These bus trips are fun and a great experience. If I was a student right now I would definitely be on that bus! Johnson City is only about 2-2.5 hours up I-26 from Spartanburg, so it isn't a bad trip. I fondly remember a trip down to The Citadel my senior year to see our D-2 football team dominate the Bellhops 20-6 (and one down there my junior year where they kicked our butts, but it was still fun too). Our team can definitely use the support up there. They will see some friendly faces in a hostile environment. I'm sure it means a lot to them.

Off Topic but just had to say it- By the way, looking at the BPIs I noticed that our old SoCon nemesis Davidson was ranked 48th. We are 106th, so there's quite a gap there. It makes me glad they are in the Atlantic 10 now because they would be a huge threat to keep us from the NCAA tournament if they were still i the SoCon. And not that I would ever advocate us doing this in a million years, but it also makes me wonder just how good we would be if we threw away scholarship football like they did.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Interestingly, ESPN Sports Center app shows ETSU is favored by 1.5 points. I can only assume that is a function of home court advantage? No matter, we tend to thrive as the underdog!
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:21 pm

The line given in the paper this morning is Wofford by 2. So I think everyone is in agreement that we should expect a close game.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm

ETSU message boards bringing out the smack talk about how we play dirty, how we're not as good as Furman academically, etc.

I always find it weird when state school alumni/students bring that up, considering I would probably have never heard of ETSU had we not played them in sports.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:10 pm

ETSU was always known as a flunkout school for Tennessee students in my day. They have always had their fair share of athletes that couldn't make it somewhere else. For anyone at East Tennessee to make fun of another schools is ludicrous. They're a tough team at home. We'll have to be ready for them. Really glad we have a bus going. Regardless of how many, our guys will appreciate the support.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:28 pm

You know, I try to give everybody the proper respect they derserve. And ETSU has always had a fine baketball program- there is a lot of history there. But for anyone from ETSU to talk "academic smack" is laughable. ETSU is not at all a good academic school. I think they are pretty close to open admissions; they rarely (if ever) reject anyone who has graduated high school. Out of high school, I didn't even consider them and it's doubtful my guidance counselor would have even let me. They are nowhere close to Wofford or Furman (or Clemson or USC either for that matter, along with a whole lot of other schools). As far as Wofford and Furman goes, they are both very good academic institutions. As to which is better, I do not know. One might have a slight edge. But I always thought them to be about equal. If you can get into Wofford you can get into Furman, and vice versa. I got accepted to both and ultimately chose Wofford. But at the end of the day it is clear what is going on. As Ruckus said in another thread, these schools like ETSU wouldn't even be talking about Wofford if we were not beating them now. If they were still beating our brains in, they would even be giving us a second thought. We have their attention now though, and that's a good thing. They are mad they lost to us and scared that we are going to beat them again! Yes, little old us, a school that is not only now winning on the court but is also continuing to do something it has always done since dy one- GRADUATE ITS PLAYERS! I know that is probably a foreign concept at place like ETSU. GO TERRIERS!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball