Ga. Southern

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Ga. Southern

Postby millwoga1 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:19 am

Lunardi currently has the Eagles in his bracketology as a 15 seed winning the Sun Belt. I did'nt see that team improving that much from the last few years. They beat App. St. by nearly 40 points last week. Where would they stack up if still in SoCon? Anyone seen em play this year?
millwoga1
Junior Terrier

Re: Ga. Southern

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm

That's a tough question. I have not seen them play. But looking at their schedule, it has been very weak. Four of their wins are against sub-D1 competition and their schedule strength is ranked 320 out of 351 D-1 teams. Wofford's is ranked 144. Thee App State team they beat by 40? They were blasted by almost 20 points at Furman earlier, 84-65- enough said. ASU might finish last in the SoCon this year. But if you look at GSU's RPI, it stands at 114, which would be second only to Wofford's 45 in the SoCon. Still, RPI isn't everything and in my opinion for what it's worth, I couldn't see GSU being better than Mercer or Chattanooga in the conference. They might be about on par with ETSU and WCU. I would see them as middle of the pack, finishing 4th-7th. As it is, I am glad GSU is no longer in the SoCon. Their fans were the worst I think we've ever dealt with. One went so far as to spam my Facebook page to tell me how much he hated Wofford. I had to block him.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Former CoC player and GSU transfer Trent Wiedeman seems to be having a good year. I know I never liked when the Terriers matched up against him
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... t-wiedeman
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

this is how stupid COC admin are in regards to coaching talent. the HC for GSU is great! should have gotten job when cremains left/retired/medically retired. Wojick was a good coach as well but the admin of COC screwed that up as well. not good in chucktown with current record and situation. McConnell as president has not helped situation. He has still not publically said much of anything about really anything?
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Trent Wiedeman was a very good player for the Cougars. Things must have been really screwed up at C of C for him to leave the beaches and babes in Charleston and go to Statesboro to play at a school that really has no basketball tradition and hasn't had much success lately in GSU. It's funny how C of C constantly put us down and basically said it was beneath them to be in the same conference as us. Because now their program is a total clustercluck and is going to be a major project to rebuild. Meanwhile Mike Young seems to have laid the groundwork for a competitive program at Wofford for a while. We'd be mopping the floor with C of C for years if they were still in the SoCon. I'm sure Mike Young thanks goodness every day that he didn't end up taking that job down there.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 pm

If I recall correctly, Wiedeman was one that we really wanted. He was a force for CofC, and always hurt us. You're right, 94, to leave Charleston for Statesboro-man, from the penthouse to the outhouse. And it stinks.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball